Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lynda

So would you buy another Smart car?

255 posts in this topic

We've had our first and last Smart. Got to be the worst piece of crap I've had in 45 years of driving.Some reasons:1. No oil drain plug2. Tires are pricey, don't last, and very limited choice3. Busted reluctor rings4. Seized alternator, first car I ever had that required lowering engine to pull an alternator5. Corroded SAM connections6. Pull cowling to change headlight bulbs7. Side markers keep falling outAnd at least a dozen other reasons

Well, get rid of the car and get another type that makes you happy. Cheers

1. No oil drain plug

Even do-it-yourselfers have access to oil extractors at a reasonable cost

2. Tires are pricey, don't last, and very limited choice

The tires on my '05 were used when I bought the car 4 years ago. 76,000 kms later and they are still able to pass a safety inspection.

3. Busted reluctor rings

Rust protection can prevent this problem.

4. Seized alternator, first car I ever had that required lowering engine to pull an alternator

Seized? Don't let it sit for weeks on end. Drive it.

5. Corroded SAM connections

Removing and protecting the SAM with silicon sealant helps prevent this.

6. Pull cowling to change headlight bulbs

'Most' MB dealerships will replace bulbs at no cost if you buy the bulbs from them, and no, they don't remover the 'cowl' to do it.

7. Side markers keep falling out

Four years and 76,000 + kms over some very rough roads and never had one fall out.

All of that said, your car has not lived up to your expectations. Sell it and get a 'cookie-cutter' vanilla car.

45 years ago, cars were simpler. Bailing wire, a hammer and a pair of pliers could fix a lot of things on old cars. Regardless of the brand, modern cars are basically computers on wheels. Good luck fixing any of them at the side of the road.

Look pal, the car is junk, pure and simple. Not my fault you don't like what I said, Also, some of your comments are down right senseless. A close to 20K car should come with a drain plug, and come on rust prevention for reluctor rings. Get real. Don't make assumptions either, car was not sitting for weeks...

First of all, my view is that the smart is a well designed "little" car. Much better than some other "little" cars, but no doubt not as bullet proof as some other larger cars.

My comments on OPs beefs:

1. No oil drain plug - Any smart dealer or reputable shop has a suction device. DIY units cost about $50. I NEVER use the drain plug on any of our cars. Hard to see this as the #1 beef.

2. Tires are pricey, don't last, and very limited choice. I just replaced the original tires on our smart at 62k km, even although they still had another seasons wear left. Admittedly, snow tires were used in winter, so perhaps the summers last 40-45k km? About normal if you use Michelins on a larger car. Cost me $675 incl installation, which seems in line.

3. Busted reluctor rings I have never had that problem. The rings are exposed to salt and moisture and are bare metal. Rust protection should be part of normal maintenance, but even dealers don't do that. MB should also sell the rings separately, but don't. Fortunately aftermarket does. Legitimate beef.

4. Seized alternator, first car I ever had that required lowering engine to pull an alternator. Luckily it is relatively easy to do. I read that the B-Class requires the engine to be lowered to change rear spark plug. It would be nice to have better access to some parts, but designers likely assumed cars would be mainly dealer maintained.

5. Corroded SAM connections. Have not had that problem

6. Pull cowling to change headlight bulbs Not required, although I have trouble doing it through openings. Dealer does it free.

7. Side markers keep falling out Never had that problem

And at least a dozen other reasons - It's a learning process for the public. Modern cars are more troublesome than the old cars, mainly because of the electronics. The mechanical parts are very good.

Many here seem to love their little smarts. It is a neat little car and fun to drive. Junk? Definitely not!

I read that the B-Class requires the engine to be lowered to change rear spark plug.

It ain't so, Joe! They're as easy to get at as they are in any other car. However, to get the starter motor out in the B, the engine has to drop a few cm.

Each car have their "+" and their "-". It's a thing to talk about the worst points on the smart car but for me, the good points worth far more than bad points. As good points, I seriously appreciate:- The size! (easy to park everywhere). - The fuel consumption- The plastique body pannels (still no rust after 7th winter). - DIESEL! (I drive it with used cooking oil each summer time).- environmently friendly (from the construction to the end of useful life, this car use less ressources than standard cars and is recyclable at +/- 94% to the end).- Reliable when maintain by other one than dealers (My clock showing now more than 226000km which some of them was just "abusive").- Fun to drive!- Fun to work on!- Safe as a tank (I had a 2 roll over crash in 2008. I still drive the same car after the windsheild and 4 body pannels was replaced).- Rear wheel drive with back mounted engine (I just hate to feel like I'm sit in a trailer pull by a horse "front wheel drive").So, I think even if I had alot of problems with my reliable lemon, I would like to by another one but only a CDI or an electric drive with more than 250km of driving range. The basics values of this car are good and seems to mine. So, I believe that's the reason why she's still in the driveway! ;)

Edited by dieselkiki

Look pal, the car is junk, pure and simple. Not my fault you don't like what I said, Also, some of your comments are down right senseless. A close to 20K car should come with a drain plug, and come on rust prevention for reluctor rings. Get real. Don't make assumptions either, car was not sitting for weeks...

At no point did I say I didn't like what you said. I was merely offering possible solutions to the problems you listed. Two North American brand cars sell cars (for a lot more than 20k) and they don't have drain plugs. They are trying to eliminate the backyard mechanic for environmental reasons. As for the rust protection, any car that has metal that is likely to rust should have it applied. Not just smarts. The seized alternator? Again, just offering a possible cause, not saying that this is what you did.

That said, you are obviously not happy with your car. SELL IT

I've already stated to one mod, that's what I intend to do, do I have to REPEAT myself to another?

Edited by smart142

It ain't so, Joe! They're as easy to get at as they are in any other car. However, to get the starter motor out in the B, the engine has to drop a few cm.

Sorry if I got that wrong. I thought the B's engine was underneath somewhere (like the smart except up front!)"as easy to get at as they are in any other car" - On my E320, a couple of them are an SOB to get at :( A job I need to do.

I've already stated to one mod, that's what I intend to do, do I have to REPEAT myself to another?

George, with an attitude like that, maybe it's best to leave the club. You've made your points.

We've had our first and last Smart. Got to be the worst piece of crap I've had in 45 years of driving.Some reasons:1. No oil drain plug2. Tires are pricey, don't last, and very limited choice3. Busted reluctor rings4. Seized alternator, first car I ever had that required lowering engine to pull an alternator5. Corroded SAM connections6. Pull cowling to change headlight bulbs7. Side markers keep falling outAnd at least a dozen other reasons

Hopefully you do some research before you buy the next car whatever it may be. Maybe best for you to buy new next time. Used cars usually need maintenance above and beyond just changing fluids, I guess not everyone is aware of this.

Did the research, unfortunatly wife had her heart set on it, and she was buying, not me. I warned her of the issues, mostly garnered from here, but she wanted it. Maintenace is one thing. Splicing new wiring for a SAM and putting on new reluctor rings, is far, far removed from maintenance, pure and simple.

agree with dieselkikiif I get another it will be the EV. I would need a 200km range as headroom over my current 90km total commute. hopefully they are there in a couple of years.

[dk would have trouble doing those interesting trips in an EV!But good for commuters.

Yes! You're right Graham. But... it's could be interesting to do a road trip with an electric smart car but it could take more time to do the same trips as ours. Going up to California should take 3 months against 1 month with our CDI.

Our actual modified electric smart http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=23469 are just to move within 40-50km. With an autonomy of 80-100km, it's could be difficult to doing any road trip. But with an electric drive who can drive for 200km and more and who could be charged in 3-4 hours... I think that it's could be realistic to do a road trip somewhere with an EV.

During our last road trip, I thought about it (EV road trip) every time I filled up the CDI... someday I'll do it in a EV! ^_^

Hot dam! Wife saw the light and bought a new Elantra. The goddam Stupid is gone. She got $2000 for it, and I would have gladly given the dealer $2000 just to get rid of it. Mercedes should wash teir hands of this crap and move on. It's been a slice, later...

To get back on track:Would I buy another Smart? No.But only because they don't sell the CDI here anymore. I've put 70K on my smart now and have only spent about $600 on repairs. The car has had other issues that were covered under warranty but Mercedes provided a nice loaner for when anything popped up so I wasn't too inconvenienced. If this car lasts another 2 months without needing anything I've saved enough money in fuel from the vehicle it replaced (Ford Ranger V6) to cover how much I've paid for it. Can't get any better than that!

My original calculations said that right about now (220K km) my new smart would be paid off by the fuel savings. Based on 4.5 LHK for the smart (from spritmonitor, here at CsC and a little bit from the rather optimistic transport canada ratings), a real world 11-12 LHK from my old GMC S15 truck and fuel at $1.00/liter. Fuel has been considerably higher than that and my real smart mileage marginally better so I'm ahead of the game.Maintenance has been more than I figured, but not absurdly so and I still really love driving the smart! No regrets at all.A comment on fuel efficiency: Despite all the advances in technology, I could not buy a new pickup that would give better real-world efficiency than my old '87 S15! What the hell is wrong with the industry? I find it hard to believe that there isn't a market for a small simple efficient reliable work truck, why isn't it being served?

I swear that most of the savings in costs from the cdi are offset by the money I have spent modifying them! My first 2005 smart had fog lights ($350), strikelines with new tires ($1600), 4 Euro fenders ($600), OE cruise control ($400), subwoofer ($150) among other things. There must have been $4000 in all, if not more!My present smart cdi Canada 1 is somewhat similar: remap ($300), BRABUS suspension ($800 plus $250 for dealer installation), BRABUS exhaust (free, but new hanger and balance weight, including stainless valence shield and canister repair cost $800), wider tires for OE wheels ($350 for a pair of rears), fog lights ($150), cruise control ($400), subwoofer ($150), again it's got to be pushing $4000!At least, with the demise of the first car, I still own the strikelines!