Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lynda

So would you buy another Smart car?

255 posts in this topic

My son owns our current family smart. He plans to purchase an EV as soon as possible.Then I'll buy his cdi at a reduced price!!!

A 450 yes, I would really like a cabrio. After driving a 451 for a little over a week maybe but only as a winter beater.

Again, I would probably only buy another if it was diesel and had some version of a twin clutch gearbox. Otherwise, most likely an Audi A3 TDI.

I still love the car but unless i was more finacially wealthy I would have too say no I would not but another one.The one I have is for sale.

Maybe. Everything else is too big and lumbering. Man I wish other cars were as tight/stiff as the smart. But I'd probably go for the bare-bones simple 451, over the problematic cdi.-Iain

You aren't going to like the next decade of typical car designs apparently. I like Hyundai's fluidic concept, but I'm also a fan of old Volvos.

Edited by smartzuuk

I'm a huge fan of old Volvo's (parents had 2, both over 500 000 km), but everything new is curvey blob. I'm really picky; the hard part about deciding what to get next is compounded by the fact that there are so few cars out there (less than 5) I'd be willing to be seen in!-Iain

There are quite a few small cars available in Europe that I would be seen in but none of them, save the smart, are sold here!

There are quite a few small cars available in Europe that I would be seen in but none of them, save the smart, are sold here!

Well, the Fiat 500 will be here soon, that might have my interest, especially in the Abarth version.

Well, the Fiat 500 will be here soon, that might have my interest, especially in the Abarth version.

...................I hope the Abarth edition adds some pep because I didn't like the 500 we had in France this year. Lots of gizmos and nice looking but with the 1.2 litre engine it was slower than the Toyota Aygo we had last year with a 1 litre engine.

...................I hope the Abarth edition adds some pep because I didn't like the 500 we had in France this year. Lots of gizmos and nice looking but with the 1.2 litre engine it was slower than the Toyota Aygo we had last year with a 1 litre engine.

Well, considering the 1.2L has 68 HP and the Abarth has a turbo 1.4L in the SS version which comes with 160 HP, so.... more than double the HP makes it a wee bit more fun.. :)
Edited by MightyMouseTech

Abarth...drool....!!!!

Pics from Rome in October 2009...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by VRsyncro

If they have a new one with turbo option, amber turn signal in the rear SEPERATED from the brake light, a 6-speed gear box, I'd go for a new one in a heartbeat.

Not right now, nothing wrong with my beloved CDI! And not the gas 451, I would want another diesel. I put on enough highway miles to keep the diesel happy, and have had little trouble in almost 100K km. (Other than 2 turbos under warranty that didn't need replacing, it would have been an easy fix with an available aftermarket seal, there was a leak at the intake housing.) There are many small European cars that would be considered, I just wish we could get them here. The safety aspect of the smart is a big factor with our lumbering SUV and trucks and generally poor level of driver skill and caution.

I would buy another 2005/06 CDI Cabriolet in a heartbeat!I will have been driving it for 2 yrs coming up this April 2010 and have racked up 56,000 kms added to the original 21,000 kms for a total of 77,000 kms with only a set of front brake pads / rotors and new rear reluctor rings.Since I have gone out of warranty I am a DIY maintenance owner/ operator. Even after two years the more I drive this car the more I love it.Not just the comfort and economy of the car but a BIG part has been all the GREAT people and friends I have met through the ownership of this AWESOME little car.E.B. :D

post-5992-1264093608_thumb.jpg

I'd buy another diesel, but my '05 is still running just fine. 94,000 km.Carl

I would buy a couple of parts cars to compliment my '06 Pulse cdi. I make my own bio diesel, so I know what's going in the tank... So far, 240,000km and counting. (On second motor. First one failed at 89,000km...the oil pump failed..just out of warranty.) Have had ZERO problems with this motor...'06 PulseEGR bypass (after fixing it twice)spin-on oil filter adapteroil pan drain plugSport Smart computer flashWebasto Diesel Heaterlots of other extras...