Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
topsy1970

Coolant

22 posts in this topic

How often should the coolant be replaced/flushed. Is this somethng MB can do or any independant shops can do?Thanks

The manual says three years which sounds about right. A cooling system is a cooling system and any good shop should easily be able to handle the job.

Ummmm... the manual is undoubtedly correct at 3 years. But I would counsel that a well-used smart (more than 20,000kms per year) would benefit from an earlier (2-year / 40,000kms) coolant flush-and-re-fill. Aluminium heat exchangers (rads) benefit from care, and (in my opinion) an earlier-than-3-years flush & change is very cheap insurance for an Owner who intends to keep their smart for more than 4 years...Just my opinion (based upon experience, of course.).:drive:

Yes but it is getting late - I will try to post it tomorrow - the gist is you drain the engine, pop the hose off under the car - and drain there too. I can see some challenges in bleeding the system.Cheers,Cameron

If it is anything like my MR2 (mid engine, front radiator), there were 2 bleeder hoses hidden in the trim in the front trunk. It also helped to jack up the front of the car to bleed the air out of the cooling system.MG

Nothing as complicated - just take the hose off.Removing1. Remove Air Inlet (driver’s side)2. Open Windshield (they mean the grill under the air inlet)3. Remove coolant system cap (1) at coolant reservoir (2)4. Remove under floor panelingDraining5. Open drain plug (3) at engine6. Remove clamp (4) at return flow coolant hose (5) and remove return flow coolant hose (this is at the front of the car near the foot wells)Filling7. Screw tight plug (3) on engine8. Put hose (5) back and clamp (4) wet hose first9. Pour in coolant and bleed – suggested to use a vacuum bleeder – attach to coolant filler – you could use a hand vacuum pump and a oversized rubber stopperCheck10. Run the engine until warm11. Remove coolant system cap at reservoir12. Check coolant levelInstalling13. Install underbody panels14. Install air inlet 15. Close windshieldTakes 4.2 L total, 2.3 of that antifreeze to get to -45 C - 12 NM for the engine plug - and for cripes sakes make sure you handle the coolant properly - mop up and dilute any spills - safely dispose of the used materials - ianti-freeze is a magnet for pets and is lethal.Cheers,Cameron

post-375-1155882879.jpg

post-1-1155882879.jpg

post-1-1155882880.jpg

post-1-1155882881.jpg

post-1-1155882882.jpg

Thanks. Are there any special recommendations on which coolant to run?I know my 190D always recommended the Mercedes brand

Much easier way than using vacuums and stuff like that.Undo the drain plug as seen in the pic above until it's all gone, retighten.Slowly fill the expansion tank until you get to the max mark, losen the drain plug until coolant comes out and tighten again.Refil to the max mark.Jack the (LHD) drivers front side of the car up AS HIGH AS YOU CAN and start the car, leave the expansion tank lid off and keep adding coolant so it sits about halfway between min and max. When the coolant stops going down and bubbles stop appearing in the tank (about 8 to 10 minutes) check to make sure that warm air is coming from the heater vents. Put the cap back on, leave for another 5 minutes and turn it off.Job done.

Other then Sierra, what other Coolant (ie pick up at Cdn Tire).Read some where not to use regular Prestone. Of Course that's what I bought before reading that. I bought Prestone Long Life, say's All Make and on the back says ok for Aluminum.Seems this post is bit old, hope for a quick response. ;)

I was in Lordco a couple of days ago and noticed that Prestone now makes a "green" polypropylene glycol anti-freeze.B :senile:

Since I already started flushing the system with distilled water. Figure I can run that till Ideal Supply/Napa opens on Monday (this is what it must've been like in the old days with out Sunday shopping).Guess the Prestone will go back to Cdn Tire. :D

[off topic]Just noticed you are in Oro-Medonte. I had a cabin on Moon's Beach for several years - lived there year-round. Still kinda miss that place...Bil :sun:

I used good old Prestone last year. 24K later, seems fine. Any reason it shouldn't be?

Just had the coolant replace in my Subaru WRX, cost was $55 and change. Called MB for quote on doing same for our 05 smart and was told $150 !!! WTF???

Coolant change in smart is not the same as "any old car". This should be no surprise, since the smart is unique in many other respects and requires different procedures.

Coolant drain/fill http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=335

Coolant general notes http://www.evilution.co.uk/336

Procedure to relieve air lock http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=133

One hour Mercedes-Benz shop time is over $100. 4.5 litres coolant $25. Add taxes and shop supplies. Easy $150 total cost. On the other hand, if they can manage to do the refill and not get an airlock, labour could be lower and save you money.

Remember, smart is not an economy car.

Bil :sun:

Bleeding procedure, see below:

Posted Image

Bleeding by lifting temperature sensor at top of thermostat housing is the only and proper way. Works each time - totally foolproof.

Tying a rope to retaining clip for sensor before pulling it out reduces risk of loosing clip. I have the eye of a long plastic tie wrap permanently attached to clip.

Coolant change in smart is not the same as "any old car". This should be no surprise, since the smart is unique in many other respects and requires different procedures.

Coolant drain/fill http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=335

Coolant general notes http://www.evilution.co.uk/336

Procedure to relieve air lock http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=133

One hour Mercedes-Benz shop time is over $100. 4.5 litres coolant $25. Add taxes and shop supplies. Easy $150 total cost. On the other hand, if they can manage to do the refill and not get an airlock, labour could be lower and save you money.

Remember, smart is not an economy car.

Bil :sun:

thanks, I did see those on Evilution today. Does not appear to be too difficult of a DIY job!?!? any comments to that from folks who have done this?

btw, my WRX is not "any old car". Well it is old (2002 bought Oct 01), but it is golden.... easily best vehicle I have owned, and at age 60 I have had a few!