Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
megasmart

Hiya!

10 posts in this topic

I've been learking around for a while and decided to say hi. I'm dieing to get a Smart but I just paid off my first new car, 2001 Kia Rio and I've been advised, by many responsible people, to wait until I finish school in June and have a job before buying again. Responsible people are so boring! I want one now!

I totally totally hear you. :( I was driving a 1998 Toyota Tercel that had at least another 10 years of life left in it. Buying a smart was a completly illogical/impractical move for me.

But I wanted it.

So I started saving up....

and saving...

and saving....

And 3 years later, I have had mine for 6 months and have driven over 50 000 km... there is no sense in resisting, you are addicted, and it is only a matter of time before you will be taking your first test drive, gonig through the sleepless nights wrestling with "should I or shouldn't I", eventually culminating with a dramatic visit to the dealership where you will hold in your hand a piece of paper saying it WILL be yours!!! Bwa haahaa...

Besides BLEH, a Rio. :P

-Iain

My Rio's been good to me; I drive the hell out of that little thing! I've already been for two test drives :drool3: I think the MB dealer doesn't think I'm serious about the car becasuse he keeps limiting the test drives to 15 minutes. I've never heard of anything so foolish?!? I've never had an issue with long test drives. If I was smart Duck I would start saving too. I don't think I've actually saved for anything since I was 9 years old and wanted a mountain bike. Maybe a Smart will change my life for the better in more ways than one.

Responsibility is over-rated, buy one now.

I love my car, it is great. You should go for it. ........ We need more smarts in Atlantic Canada.

The thing is (and I gota say it, beacuse I put up with it for so long) - is that it's one thing to hear all the current owners saying "Do it do it do it!!", but it's another thing when the logical side of you is trying to figure out how to make ends meet. I don't know how old you are or anything about you so feel free to tell me to F-off :) but it is my experience that it feels much better to save up and make it "yours" than if you struggle every moment to make ends meet if you buy (loan, lease, whatever) too soon. Make sure you can look after you, first - everything else will fall into place after that. I am young and don't make very much money, but I am very careful with where I spend and it I must be honest it did take a long time to save up for the car, but it was worth it. You are like me, the fuel savings will be negligible beacuse you already are (as I was) driving a compact vehicle with already very good fuel economy. So I don't buy the "But your smart will pay for itself" statement - only if you are like, say, Mixed (Craig) who was driving an F-150 several hundred km a day, he has the math to show how much money he saved in that case.People like Glenn (ha! I'm singling you out! :)) were pivotal in me making my decision. I will never forget that day at Steamwhistle when I talked to so many owners for the first time, like Mattdaddy, with me humming and hawing over it all. I had saved up such a big amount of money for this and it all came down to the "you only live once" kinda thing, and "what else am I going to spend this on besides a place to live at some point". I saw how happy the community was. The relationships and friendships that have all come out of this. And so eventually... after a very long eventually (keep in mind i had wanetd this car since about 2000!), I did it. And it was hard, and it hurt to spend all that hard earned money, but it felt so good to know that all that effort made this car mine.I hope this doesn't all come across as rude or negative - I swear I'm not trying to seem mean or anything, I just have seen several others who had to sell their cars shortly after getting them because they couldn't afford the lease or loan payments or whatever and I hate to see that happen to anyone. :( Loans to me are something to steer way clear of (sometimes not possible, ie mortgages, cringe)...-Iain

Hey!! I'm innocent!! I don't remember telling you to buy the smart!!Or is my memory failing me??? Hmmm.. maybe it's those bay grey panels!! :biglaugh:

Thanks for the advice Duck. I finish college in June 2007 so I'm waiting until I've secured employement before I buy again. Depending on where I work and how far I have to travel my needs may be different. Plus I've put 5 years into paying for the Rio so I might as well drive it a while longer. I tend to be an impulse buy and at first I thought my want for a Smart would probably fade but I can't get rid of this "feeling" that I need one. I think I will do like you say and start saving, it will feel really good to walk in with a cheque and drive out owning a car.Hi everyone!

You've come to the right place, megasmart! We're not only a bunch of nerds/geeks/dorks we're also a support group lolI remember when Iain was trying to decide if he should get one or not, and the battle he had about the colours and options, and even if he should buy the car at all.I think its a great idea to finish school and then buy the smart if you still want it. If not, you'll ahve saved a bunch of money to buy something else equally as awesome :) Good luck and happy saving