Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

A and B Service costs:

639 posts in this topic

I paid $650 Australian for an A service at Mercedes-Benz Melbourne 15,000km. Now i'm due for a B service and just got quoted $860. I've decided to get my brother to do it. Those prices are rediculous.

post-7711-1264931390_thumb.jpg

Whoa. Those prices are ridiculous! (Oz dollars are virtually at par with Canadian dollars)Quick off-topic question: for which side do you barrack? I'm headed to Qsld on 17 April to see the Doggies and Lions in the finals rematch...

are the service costs different between 450 and 451? from what I remember 450's maintenance/oil change period is shorter than 451 so I would assume that it is cheaper per single service at least.tried searching but found no info on this, was just curious since my maintenance is coming up.

I being mechanically challenged,off warranty and requiring a oil change and headlight bulb replacement and too cheap to return to MB, found a service garage in Maple Ridge where the mechanic (Gary) who has owned Smart cars in his past and is very happy to service our cars. Gary completed my oil change (sucked out and replaced with Mobil 1 -0w40) changed my oil filter,changed my air filter,replaced my burnt out headlight (through the vent),replaced my burnt out side marker light, lubricated my clutch accuator, reset my oil change indicator and gave my vehicle a safety check. This took Gary around 2hrs and he even provided me his Service Loaner vehicle which is a 450 Smart Passion CDI coupe. When Gary was finished my vehicle was washed, vacuumed and tires were armouralled. ( bill came in at $ 195) I have never had such a efficiant and professional Garage service in my life. I know that the Lower Mainland is Fast Eddy land and know that I may require his services in the future. Thank God for all the supplies and services he offers. For those living in the Valley that don't require diagnosis from a MB star machine I highly recommend you give Gary a call for a price quote. ( 604-465-1010 )Mission Ridge Auto Sales & Services Ltd. 20528 Lougheed Hwy. Maple Ridge B.C. V2X2P8Happy motoring,Ted

Greetings:48493 kmsB Service (Major) at M-B Downtown - $252.74 Change brake fluid - 90.75Cooling system drain/refill - 127.48Total $537.45noted that r/rear bleeder is broken and there is a slight engine oil leakLabour rate -(still $127.50)Now to Florida. Snow shovel is packed. Tally ho!

Wow. MB Downtown's rate is crazy. At MB West Island here -- the biggest MB owned-and-operated dealership in the east -- it's $110 for Benzes and $95 for smarts. I got quoted 0.75 hours for a belt swap and 0.5 hours for a coolant change. Is MB Downtown using ASRA (the MB shop guide for job times and quotes)?

Just paid $190 for an A service at Victoria Star and I think this is the cheapest one yet so their rates may have changed recently.

MB vaughn rates are $112 for Smart $127 for MB. They are corporate stores so call MB downtown and make sure they didnt charge you the MB rate instead of smart rate.

I had a Service A done at Pug City Euroworks (http://site.pugcityeuroworks.ca/) last week for $100, including oil and air filter. Service B was quoted at $169. They are a new business in Edmonton Old Strathcona and very nice people who I think I could trust my 2006 cdi to. I'd strongly recommend them. Neil (owner) walked me through the under carriage, engine and front end since I've only had it a couple of weeks. He also showed me how to change a headlight in case I wanted to take it on myself.

I being mechanically challenged,off warranty and requiring a oil change and headlight bulb replacement and too cheap to return to MB, found a service garage in Maple Ridge where the mechanic (Gary) who has owned Smart cars in his past and is very happy to service our cars. Gary completed my oil change (sucked out and replaced with Mobil 1 -0w40) changed my oil filter,changed my air filter,replaced my burnt out headlight (through the vent),replaced my burnt out side marker light, lubricated my clutch accuator, reset my oil change indicator and gave my vehicle a safety check. This took Gary around 2hrs and he even provided me his Service Loaner vehicle which is a 450 Smart Passion CDI coupe. When Gary was finished my vehicle was washed, vacuumed and tires were armouralled. ( bill came in at $ 195) I have never had such a efficiant and professional Garage service in my life. I know that the Lower Mainland is Fast Eddy land and know that I may require his services in the future. Thank God for all the supplies and services he offers. For those living in the Valley that don't require diagnosis from a MB star machine I highly recommend you give Gary a call for a price quote. ( 604-465-1010 )Mission Ridge Auto Sales & Services Ltd. 20528 Lougheed Hwy. Maple Ridge B.C. V2X2P8Happy motoring,Ted

Ted, this guy sounds like a keeper. I'm sure others in your area will appreciate hearing about him and his thoughtful service. Most places that I know of don't even supply a service loaner, never mind a smart. It's nice to hear that there are still service people out there that care enough to do quality service and some no-charge extras. (cleaning, vacuuming and armour-all are not usually on ANY serice facilities menu as a free-bee)Ron

B Service at Three Point Motors Victoria, done on the Canada 1 today, cost $259 all in (parts/labour/fees/taxes), Mobil 1 0W40 and loaner 451 cabriolet included.

Edited by Mike T

"A" service this week was $143.66 with tax, including a $40 (before tax) smart car loyalty discount. Nice!I think they may have given me an updated map. I tried Auto mode (which I normally never use) and the shifts seem smoother. The shifts are still in the 3000 rpm range though. I used the auto mode in the city today -- if I used it enough to anticipate the shifts, it could be quite smooth.

are the service costs different between 450 and 451? from what I remember 450's maintenance/oil change period is shorter than 451 so I would assume that it is cheaper per single service at least.

tried searching but found no info on this, was just curious since my maintenance is coming up.

The 451 service interval is 15,000 according to my manual.

Star Motors MB, Ottawa:

B Service (smart labour $92.00/h)

1 Service____________111.15

3 78880 5W/30_________27.60

1 0004591V001000000

Air Filter____________17.91

1 BOil Enviro. Chrg____2.50

2 Bulk WWAF____________1.34

1 160-184-02-25

Oil Filter_____________7.37

2 450-824-00-26

Wiper blade___________38.50 :angry:

Check Replace

Dust filter (0.5 h)___46.00

1 Dust Filter_________48.40

---------------------------

Total________________300.77

Included in that: lubricating both door handles with Wurth HHS2000,checking issues with air conditioning, other minor complaints, and a car wash.

---------------------------

ALSO:

Replaced front discs/pads and

serviced/adjusted rear drums___$440.93

Brake fluid flushed____________$119.95

4 wheel alignment______________$129.95

4 Conti Contact tires inst.____$586.00

It wasn't an inexpensive visit, but we're good to go for a long while now. I'll do most of the work from here on, but we just got the car and wanted to get it running well for the summer.

Edited by Uisge

Money well spent though the toe adjustment was damned expensive.

Edited by Mike T

YES - my 2nd A-Service was more than my first A-Service .. Actually MORE than my first B-Service.$234.71 out the doorservice $149.50oil filter $7.37oil $26.85Diesel clnr $8.95enviro $3.50shop "surprise" $13.39tax's $25.15 = 234.71

Edited by Polar Attack

So far, I've had 1 A service and 1 B service, and they both cost me the same. $0.00. :lol:

hi,I was wondering which oil is the safest to use. Mobil 1 has a grade of diesel 5w40 oil. Which is best for the smart 450 diesel, the Mobil 0w40 or the Mobil 1 diesel 5w40 grade oil? herbie

I use 0W40, which is the oil that Canadian dealers use for the Mercedes Benz CDIs they sell over here. Good enough for them, good enough for me. Flows like water on a cold start and protects like a heavy oil when hot. Best of both worlds.