Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

A and B Service costs:

639 posts in this topic

I also use Mobil 0W40 ....86,000 K's now and so far I have never had to add any between 8,000 K oil changes.If you watch @ CTC they will have Mobil 0W40 on sale from time to time and you can get it for $9.00 + a litre.Just make sure it is the European Diesel formula.Cheers!E.B.

I use 0W40, which is the oil that Canadian dealers use for the Mercedes Benz CDIs they sell over here. Good enough for them, good enough for me. Flows like water on a cold start and protects like a heavy oil when hot. Best of both worlds.

I've been using the 0w40 grade also. I was curious as to the 5w40 Diesel grade. Would it be for heavy trucks...?

I've been using the 0w40 grade also. I was curious as to the 5w40 Diesel grade. Would it be for heavy trucks...?

I drive a large commercial truck (International) and yes, 5w40 is what we use in it, as recommended by the manufacturer.Ron

Just make sure it is the European Diesel formula.

I have a bottle Mobil1 0W-40 in front of me. It says "European Car Formula" on the "front" side. The only mention of diesel is in the "Meets performance of" list on the other side ... "GM-LL-B-025 (Diesel)".I got it from the Oakville M-B dealer after my last service (@ $12/litre). Each time, I ask that the tech install only half of the third litre, and that that container be left in the car. This leaves the oil level at a good position between the full and add marks on the dipstick. If you don't ask for the remainder, you're kissing $6 worth of oil goodbye. After five oil changes, the 2 1/2 litres of oil that you've saved from previous changes can be used for the sixth change. When I started to do this, the idea was to have some oil available for topping up, but in real life the engine doesn't use enough oil to top it up between changes. The exception to this was the first change, when the engine was still new and being broken in.

thx everyone,The reason I'm asking is that I received a flyer yesterday and they have Mobil 1 - all grades - at 48% off. That's 3.58 a lt. Not to shabby of a price. That's when I saw the Diesel grade 5w40 and that's why all the questions...herbie

Just got the car back from my its B service (67000 km) @ Victoria Star. Cost was about $260 w/ taxes so not too bad compared to some of my early B services. As always, the service was on time and car was clean.Also had them check for codes on an intermittent check engine light that I've had over the past week and a faulty injector turned out to be the problem. Would have cost about $1000 for the fix so I was quite glad that I had bought the extended warranty last month...don't think I will have too much problems recovering the costs on that investment. This was actually the 2nd injector I've had replaced under warranty in the past year. cheers,garth

Paid just over $150 for service A at Oakville. I had almost 12K on Buttercup after 20 months of ownership.

I'm living near Calgary and thinking of buying a fortwo.Phoned the 2 Calgary MB dealers for their costs - couldn't believe how high they are!!Hyatt - A = $300 - $325, B = "up to $399" :huh: Lone Star - A = $380 - $400 , B = $480. :o Ouch!Anyone know how much any independents charge in Calgary?Mark.

Go to Reg at RCTS

No one touches my car but the guys at RCTS. They are awesome. Always do a visual on things that need to be seen...excellent service.Debbie

A service performed on May 25, 2010. Mileage: 39,594 km.Dealer: Ogilvie Motors, OttawaA Service- Labour: $129.35 (1.30 hrs@109.50)- Oil filter: $7.59- 3 NPM-SYNOIL (QS 5W30): $37.50- NPM-LUBE (Lubricant and cleaner): $10- Environment fee oil: $3- NPM-WWF W/fluid: $1.38Drive belts replacement- Labour: $69.65- V-belt: $22.05- Belt A/C: $18.10Front brake rotors and pads replacement- Labour: $109.45- Brake disc set: $134.85- Brake lining: $59.55Some of the repairs covered by warranty, and performed free of charge:- Door handle replacement (L+R)- Lower ball joints replacement (L+R)- New front bearings (both sides) installed.- Plastic windows (back order, both will be replaced as mine are starting to leak/rattle when the weather is dry)All in all, this service cost me $670 plus $87 of taxes.Regards,Fab

So it sounds like the best service place in the Toronto area is MB Oakville, yes? I've mostly dealt with MB Midtown and MB Downtown, but I've moved further away. Does anyone have any experience with Newmarket or Barrie, or any non-mercedes places in the GTA?

Previous owners of our 06 Passion sent me the service records.Jan 08 - A Service $179.20 8400km June 08 - B Service $235.00 17500kmSep 08 - A Service $203.00 (3.8L of antifreeze incl at $19.50) Mar 09 - B Service $197.00 32600km Apr 10 - A Service $??.00 42800km (apparently )First three at Victoria Star, Kitchener. Last two at Kingston Mercedes.Other than services, work done:Buzzing sound reported! Wires to Ebox (?) corroded - replaced connector. Both lower ball joints replaced at 24800k km.One tire replaced.Door lock replacedDrivers door window grinding noise repairedFew bulbs replacedRecommend brake service in 09, but apparently not done yet?Overall for three years driving by owners family, not much done.

Edited by Graham

Wow, where was it driven to require new balljoints at 25K?! Mine seem OK at 142,000 km more than that. They were checked out by the dealer just a short time ago.

Wow, where was it driven to require new balljoints at 25K?! Mine seem OK at 142,000 km more than that. They were checked out by the dealer just a short time ago.

That surprised me too. Invoice says they were loose and worn. Otherwise car does not show any signs of hard use. Summer and winter tires are originals and I don't think brakes have been done.

Mine were replaced too... at 36K. I did the brakes and didn't notice anything loose... makes me wonder if it's a cash grab by the dealerships?

Overseas Motors WindsorFlex B Service$143.94 Labour$7.74 Oil filter$3.27 Washer fluid$29.40 5W30-----------------------$184.35 before taxHad an etest ($40) and safety ($89.95) done as well. $360.81 for everything. Have ALWAYS been surprised at Overseas... much lower than I expected at each service, no gouging. Bought out my lease!

Smart Car of Saskatoon Quoted me around 600 bucks for the B-service and brake flush. Its ridiculous!I was thinking can other shops do the checkup and still retain the warranty?

A service (about 16K km) on Snowball the white smart: TPM charged $174 with all taxes in, including the Mobil 1 0W40 oil I specified.

Booked my A service for next week at MB Oakville, got a loaner too!I had poor service at MB Mississauga, and will not be going back there. My passenger window is loose, it moves at highway speeds when rolled part way down, I can actually see it, yet the told me nothing was wrong....?

So my Gizmo is due for its first A Check with 15'300km on it. No issues at all in the one year ive had it. Taxes in MB Vaughn wants $225 for the A check.1.3 abour @$112/hr, oil, filter and a list of checks.Having never paid for an oil change in my life, this is blood $$$$. That said, my Hondas Oil change is around $65 after i do it mysef, every 7000. Still thats $130. So MB is around $60 more plus the tax.Should i go somewhere else?

If it was me I would have dealer do the first service. It helps to have ''experienced'' hands work on your smart.