Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

A and B Service costs:

639 posts in this topic

Gang....Since each dealership can set their own price for the A and B service, the purpose of this sticky is to post what you paid at your local dealer. This will help others find dealers in their area with the best price. Please don't do replies to postings in this topic so it will be easy for all to view. Just post what you paid, and any additional comments that are appropriate. (washed car, extra charge for 3l oil, that sort of thing.)Thanks! Dang

Three Point Motors in Victoria - B serviceLabour $114.00 Parts $55.14 (air filter, oil filter, oil, washer fluid - actually just a line item - no $9.00 bill per litre) Misc. Charges $13.68 (Shop items - yes they charge for hand cleaner) Total with Taxes - $208.42 Signed Check List provided - full accounting on the bill for all itemsCar washed, vacuumed and a thank you card. Also an offer of a ride too and from work (but I work less than a 15 minute walk away so no point). Car was ready on time - they even located the service manual and completed the tab (I forgot to dig it out of the drawer). Cheers,Cameron

Mercedes Benz London Ont. A service 34628 Km.Labour - 91.70Oil filter - 7.793 L 0W40 @ 9.30 = 27.90Total - 127.39 + 17.34 taxes = 145.23In at 7:30, out by 9:00, including wash and vacuum. I have been pleased everytime with the service here. At the relay they took me in right away to replace a headlight, (no charge).

Mine hasn't been in for its first service yet, but I called the dealer (David Morris in Edmonton) to get pricing for A and B. He said the first service was about $150 plus tax, then additional A service was $250 ea. The B service is $360.I questioned why the additional A service visits werent the same as the first one. He said the initial service wasn't a full A service since it was the first one and not as much stuff had to be checked, so it was $100 less than an A service.This looks to be about the highest I've seen posted in any of the threads.I also called Weber Motors and spoke with someone who didn't seem to have much knowledge of the costs. He paused, sputtered, and said the A service was around $100.00, and the B service "was more than that, around $200". Not very clear.

A: whenever your dealer thinks "all that extra work" probably isn't necessary...

He said the initial service wasn't a full A service since it was the first one and not as much stuff had to be checked, so it was $100 less than an A service.

Indeed this is what I have suspected all along: that a disappointing number of dealers skim over nearly all the 50-60 checklist items on the first (and maybe subsequent) A services in favour of just making money on the oil change.Caveat EmptorBil :sun:

A: whenever your dealer thinks "all that extra work" probably isn't necessary...

He said the initial service wasn't a full A service since it was the first one and not as much stuff had to be checked, so it was $100 less than an A service.

Indeed this is what I have suspected all along: that a disappointing number of dealers skim over nearly all the 50-60 checklist items on the first (and maybe subsequent) A services in favour of just making money on the oil change.Caveat EmptorBil :sun:
Yes, I was very surprised to be told that. I didn't argue, but it is very clear in the maintanence book that there is no difference. I WILL NOT be using David Morris for any service unless they decide to follow the manufacturer's checklist, and get their pricing more in line with what MB thinks it should be.

Well, thanks a lot! I used to get the A services for around $150 all taxes in, right in the heart of Toronto retail. This time it was just over $190. Labour came to 1.3 hours at $100/hr. Those numbers used to be fudged, but no longer!

Had my first 'A' service performed at Three Point Motors Victoria today. With taxes and levys it came to $157.52( 'A' service 84.00, oil filter 7.79, Mobil 1 36.87, oil levy .15, filter levy .50, misc supplies recycling/hazard waste removal 10.08, sales tax 18.12 & washer fluid .01¢. Service sheet list for all 'A-B' checks provided with nearly all 'A' service items checked off. Curiously, I mentioned to the service advisor about the additional work required for the first 'A' service only- "Check tightening torque of all bolts & nuts". I was told that they automatically do this every service but when I asked the tech I was told that they tighten things as they need it. To go around and retorque "all bolts & nuts", I was told "we would be here all day doing that". Just exactly what bolts is the manual referring to? I asked the tech if it was things like cylinder head bolts and he said "no, we rarely touch anything on the engine". I wonder if this is a separate work order that the customer would pay for on top of the regular 'A' service or maybe it's supposed to be covered for the first time as part of the $120.00- I just don't know. The importance and scheduling of this 'retorquing' I'm leaving up to TPM but I felt uneasy all day wondering if this was an important service that wasn't going to be performed according to the recommendation in the manual, no matter how broad " retorque all nuts & bolts" is. They did retorque the wheel nuts. Anyway, service was done within one hour. Tech said they put in exactly 2.7 litres of oil and gave me the rest for top up- said too much oil just blows through the turbo( I checked it 4 separate times to make sure it wasn't above the full mark- it was fine). Car washed & cleaned inside. Good to go for another 8.000.

Mercedes-Benz Oakville Autohaus

Service B: $169 - 55 034 km

Accessory Belt/AirCon Belt Replacement: $139

-Iain

...said too much oil just blows through the turbo...

... after first getting whipped to a froth so it no longer lubricates properly and blows out your seals ... then condenses in the charge cooler and (eventually) causes total engine failure. :banghead: Why, oh why do the mechanics persist in treat this tiny, fine-tolerance piece of high-tech machinery like a leaky old Dee-troit small-block??? :steamed:

I've looked at the A service list and believe if everything was done at a good pace it would take well over an hour. Things like checking the fluids, the tire inflator, lights and lug nut torque are very time consuming if done properly. I've done so many oil changes now, I've got it down to about 20 Min. I can only stress that most of these A service checks can done without very little training by a DIYer. I've said it before, I don't need a MB mechanic chargind $100+ per hour to check my lights.

...said too much oil just blows through the turbo...

... after first getting whipped to a froth so it no longer lubricates properly and blows out your seals ... then condenses in the charge cooler and (eventually) causes total engine failure. :banghead: Why, oh why do the mechanics persist in treat this tiny, fine-tolerance piece of high-tech machinery like a leaky old Dee-troit small-block??? :steamed:
In Winnipeg first "A" Check is $86 plus oil and filter and tax.For my first "A" check they dumped in 3 litres.I questioned it and they said all Fortwos get 3 litres.I sucked it out and they'll never change mine again.Retired RCAF

I just dropped off my car at Mercedes in Markham, Ontario and was quoted the "normal" price of $350 for a B service. They said that they were aware of the national lowering of prices but that their B price was inline.

Wow thats cheeky. I would have told them if they thought that was in line that you would get in line at another dealer who's prices were more in line.$360 versus what? $169? Thats way out of line in my book.S

Just some quick phone quotes in the Toronto Area:MB ThornhillA: ~$200B: ~$300MB Downtown:A: ~$165B: ~$213MB Midtown:A: ~$175B: ~$225MB: Oakville:A: ~$155B: ~$190Again, these are all phone quotes, so, mileage may very, as should your NaCl intake amount.

Seems like there are still many dealers who are not following the 'suggested' pricing. This makes me feel like I'm being taken advantage of, and that the dealer isn't particularly interested in building a relationship and keeping me as a customer during the life of the car. Does anyone think comments to MBCanada would do any good? I wonder how they feel about the ill will being created?

Had smart in today.....oil(Mobil 1 at $9.30), filter and all the B look abouts for $214 all in.....no air filter as I have K&N. So price wise not too bad.....have to check oil level as charged for 3l so likelyover full or they just ripped me for $3 worth of oil. LOLSmart flyer-much better price than DMFC.SS

Seems like there are still many dealers who are not following the 'suggested' pricing. This makes me feel like I'm being taken advantage of, and that the dealer isn't particularly interested in building a relationship and keeping me as a customer during the life of the car.

Does anyone think comments to MBCanada would do any good? I wonder how they feel about the ill will being created?

I think we heard that MB corporate stores are following the memo because they can... they get reimbursed by smart Canada for a portion of the lost revenue.

The independents cannot take advantage of that customer loyalty strategy, so it's up to them to decide - lower their rates and take a profit hit, or keep their rates up and take a chance that you're going to go down the road for all your smart needs.

My $0.02: go down the road (or stay) to whichever store gives you the best service; that may not be the less expensive one though. But if it is, then :thumbup:

Bil :sun:

I was quoted $350 and paid $283 (with taxes). My dealer had never seen or heard of the memo (I had printed it off to show when I saw the quote). He followed up and told me that this was a "suggestion" and that in Toronto, the rate for labour is $100 an hour, so a $169 B service just wasn't possible. I am happy with their service and the cost was under the $350 quoted, so as someone wrote, you pay what you want if you like what you are getting.

I just had a Service A at TPM Victoria. It was complicated by a major wheel balance issue so I won't post the total price in fairness.....the Service A portion was about $145-150 all in, I think, and that's with Mobil 1 0W40. I got 0.3 L of oil in the third bottle, 2.7 L got the oil level to aroud 2/3 up the disptick.I read a lot here at CsC about dealers going through the motions on the service checklists. It is NOT the case at Three Point Motors and it was proven again today. While doing the "Leakeage - Major Components" check, Jeff - TPM's ace smart technician - noticed oily residue near the turbo air inlet pipe. He investigated and ended up replacing about $100 worth of parts (all in stock) under warranty. The kicker is that at the factory install on the "charge air inlet seal" was piss-poor, and the seal was not seated on one side at all - partially blocking the airstream - hence the leak. He showed the messed up seal to me, and it was not pretty.Jeff also was talking about the issue of intercoolers clogging up with oily residue. He said that when the oil is cold, it should be at or below the halfway point on the dipstick, and never above, because he suspects oil levels near maximum play a major role in excess crankcase pressure and ol vapours, and intercooler clogging.My front brake pads have about 80% left at 48,000 km, so I guess I'll have them until close to 200,000 km! :lol:

Jeff also was talking about the issue of intercoolers clogging up with oily residue. He said that when the oil is cold, it should be at or below the halfway point on the dipstick, and never above, because he suspects oil levels near maximum play a major role in excess crankcase pressure and ol vapours, and intercooler clogging.

Very, very interesting... I remember not too long ago several people discounted the notion that overfilling had anything to do wtih intercooler/turbo failure...

Now I am uber paranoid! :( Not long ago I had my entire intercooler/egr/turbo replaced because of clogging.

-Iain

First "A" service at 8917km (indicator reading -200) $151 at DMFC. Might have been more, but there was a note on the invoice about customer installed aftermarket air filter. (I put in a K&N about a week after I picked up the car) I was well treated, and I was given a ride to and from work, and the car was ready when it was supposed to be. While waiting for the ride, I was offered coffee. Instead of it being poured out of a pot, it was fresh made in some machine that would fit into a 1950's horror flick; whistleing, and steam jetting out everywhere. It was good coffee though, with steam frothed milk on top.MGbtw, s_mack; I gave the service guy your web site address, he may be ordering a cruise control.

I forgot to mention, I got a loaner car again, got to love TPM!

Was the loaner a smart?? :)

I was just about to ask. Oakville has a very strict policy of "No loaner smarts" - so you end up with a Mercedes... I would much rather have the smart. I got stuck with a CL 230 the last time and it was dreadful, you sit on the floor, can't see anything, and it's massive! I couldn't wait to get my car back. :)But yeah, I wonder why they don't give out loaner smarts (...at Oakville), they're the least expensive MB vehicle...-Iain