Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serge

Glow plugs

156 posts in this topic

just had 3 glow plugs replaced today at oakville m\b the code that came up was (p1481)cable break price for 3 plugs and labor was $274.00 BREAKDOWN 3 plugs $121.05 (40.35) per plug and $153.00 for labor

Hey Al - They had no problems getting them out?I'm temporarily slated to return my car there on Monday, to see what they can do, and perform a diagnosis (incl. compression test). Still driving the GMC 2500. 360hp takes some getting used to. ;)-Iain

Edited by Duck

-IainI'm temporarily slated to return my car there on Monday, to see what they can do, and perform a diagnosis (incl. compression test). Still driving the GMC 2500. 360hp takes some getting used to. ;)-IainI have a GMC 2500HD 4 door 4x4 as a winter vehicle, it truly is a change back and fourth between it and the smart.Talk about both ends of the transportation spectrum eh ??

Edited by The Rog Man

Yeah, but time-wise your car is older than mine. Time (rather than mileage) will cause seizing. I say MB owes me whatever it takes to make this work!-Iain

I say MB owes me whatever it takes to make this work!-Iain

I hate to be devils advocate, but, MB sold the car with a 4 year/ 80,000 km warranty. They owe you nothing after 261,000

I hate to be devils advocate, but, MB sold the car with a 4 year/ 80,000 km warranty. They owe you nothing after 261,000

On the other hand.. here is a guy who paid MB half a $hit load of money to keep his car running smoothly... I can imagine that a few of the slimy sales men are quick to mention 'one owner on one of the Canadian forums has well over 200k km on it, and it is still clicking away'... IMHO MB should fork the whole bill on this one just to keep the odometer climbing! At least get it above 300k km...

Yup. Dealer Serviced for most of it's life, so this is an unacceptable failure. It's a removeable, replacable part. So, they need to replace it. That's how it's designed.If it costs them $2000 to fix my car, but 10 people go there and pre-emptivley get their plugs replaced at $250 a pop, now who's ahead? If they get 1 000 people in their area to come back and do it because smart Canada realizes "oh crap, there's going to be a thousand people coming in here with this same problem in ~2 years", and ding people the $250 now, NOW who's ahead?!Owe me nothing after 80 000 km? C'mon, Glenn... that's not right at all. So you're fine with a car being undriveable at 80 000 km? Not me.-Iain

Here's a video of what's going on with my car.

I think the car is starting on one cylinder; you can hear it the first time I try to start it. One cylinder is firing, then the other two aren't, and it just isn't enough to get the cycle to start. The amount of unburned fuel spewing out when it finally does start also is evidence of this.

Watch

of a British Diesel locomotive starting up; I actually cheered when it finally started to turn over. Incredible!

-Iain

Dad was telling me about old Lister diesels they used on some of the Pine Tree line for generators - about 2 metres tall - you used to use a blank shot gun shell to start them - just past top dead centre, whack the holder with a hammer and the shell provided the rapidly expanding gas to turn them over! Maybe you can just shoot your engine!? :lol: Your car is acting totally normal for a cold diesel with glow plugs not fully functional - surprised it started at all!Okay - since you are in a bind - and you don't have a block heater plug in and glow plugs are being a pain - here is an old trick from the northern climes - old cars, tractors and trucks used to have really crap batteries and starters (6 volts). The trick that my Dad told me about on the farm is they would get a tray of gasoline and set it on fire then shove it under the engine oil pan. This would warm it up enough to turn it over and get the gasoline to vapourize.Now the smart is not exactly conductive to sticking a flaming tray of gasoline under it but it is conductive to either a can of Sterno or one of those inexpensive butane stoves - backpacking stove would work too. Stick it on a hunk of board so you can slide it in and out - do that 1/2 hour or so before leaving and forget about the glow plugs until they rattle loose (liberal doses of diesel additive might help). Sterno is cheap - also sold as chaffing dish fuel so check out the outdoor supply places or restaurant places - and the butane stoves are handy for power outages too! Make the board small enough and you can throw it in the back of the car.Just don't pull an Air Canada and leave it on too long - (back in the 80's an AC employee left a heater running full on - entire interior of the aircraft got hot enough to start drooping).Cheers,Cameron

It's too bad you keep having trouble with your smart Duck. There is no way you should have to cycle the glow plugs THAT many times , at only - 12 Celcius.Their obviously shot. I would hope Mercedes-Benz can replace them, but i doubt they will pay.As your engine has a LOT of kilometers on it, the compression may be getting poor.This will ALSO make a diesel hard to start.My CDI smarts always started with only one glow plug cycle, under most winter conditions, here in Saskatoon.The temperatures were MUCH colder than -12 Celcius;(-30 or worse), but my smarts were always kept 'plugged in' inside an un-heated garage,which makes a difference.

There's a

of a cdi starting in Russia in -29 C - now THAT was impressive!

Well we shall see on Tuesday what good ol' Benz will do for me. I've decided I can't bear to part with the car.

-Iain

Thanks for the videos duck! The train engine one was great.Boy,talk about pollution!Also the last one from Russia,was kind of neat.Smarts are able to start in all kinds of weather!

I noticed in the russian video he didn't have all that noise we have when we turn the key on?It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if all the warning dingers that come on when you first turn on the key stopped working?

@ Prarie: Sure, some of them do! Just not mine. ;)@ Rog Man: Just buckle your seatbelt before starting, then no bong-bong-bong. But yeah, that's a Canadian add-on.-Iain

Car has been sitting at Oakville since Tuesday; absolutely zero contact from them, and I'm getting worried. I hate this (and yet I'm so used to it). Red B Class this time.-Iain

Well you have wheels, so I guess the FE is better than that land yacht you borrowed from your pop!

@ Prarie: Sure, some of them do! Just not mine. ;)@ Rog Man: Just buckle your seatbelt before starting, then no bong-bong-bong. But yeah, that's a Canadian add-on.-Iain

I am doing my seatbelt up before turning on the key - very strange not to have the bong bong bong! thanks for posting that...

I am doing my seatbelt up before turning on the key - very strange not to have the bong bong bong! thanks for posting that...

Yup, I'll have too give that a try when i start her up in the spring.

Livid beyond belief. Oakville had my car for a week, zero contact, and now randomly they're saying there's simply nothing they can do.Absolutely effing abandoned. SO MAD.-Iain

Bastards. Idiot fecking bastards.Maybe there is "nothing you can do" about returning their B-class any time soon...Feelin' your pain, man.B :senile:

How far are you from Mercedes Maple in TO? - Plane Driver indicates good experiences so far.....Cheers,Cameron

Well that is a bummer.

a colleague at my work had trouble with his golf tdi starting especially in cold. a bunch of us (diesel owners) had all sorts of ideas but it ended up being a temperature sensor (working but giving wrong data).