Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Gasoline engine ONLY confirmed

9 posts in this topic

We have it from reliable sources that the 2008 model year smart fortwo will definitely only be offered with gasoline engines, and that at this time there are no plans to bring the cdi to Canada in subsequent model years.Get your 2006 cdi diesel while they're available!

That's unfortunate. I hope they'll at least be E85 compatible, so people can still get their domestically-produced biofuel fix.... assuming that E85 will be sold in volume at some point in this country. :/

hI Mike T. Thanks for that info, Do you know if the next gen. 42 will be offered in dieselto other countries

Yes, it will. European emission standards are not as strict about particulate matter or NOx as US/CDN standards. I expect the EU cdi version to appear not long after the gas version does.

I'm very sad now.....I wanted to wait until next summer to get a Smart but now I'm afraid too.....which kind of makes me happy.

Canada will get the new fortwo in October or November of 2007. Europe gets it in April 2007. The USA gets it in the first quarter of 2008. All of these will apparently be 2008 models.

The new gas engine hasn't been officially tested for FE yet, but this should come out early next year. The old one was good for 4 L/100 (70 MPG) on the EU highway cycle.