Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
megasmart

After Market Sun Roof

55 posts in this topic

I think it would be wonderful if an aftermarket smart supplier would come up with a roof replacement with a simple pop up sunroof installed. Apparently the roof is attached the same way as the front glass is with polyeurethane. So any glass shop could install this on the smart.

The sun roof I mentioned before was a great deal for $25 used. It is a mirrored, High quality one that barely showing the weather, and is the appropiate size. There is a problem in that it doesn't conform to the curvature of the Smart roof, being 1/8 in. flatter (With the center resting on the center rib of the roof the ends are 1/8 in. approx. above ribs at the edge of the roof). This means that some thing must go under the runroof bezel to msake up the diference and fill in between the roof and sun roof that can be attached to the roof. Also, this sunroof is designed to fit on a thin metal roof skin, but the Smart roof is quite a bit thicher. How thick? I have no way of telling, barring cutting a hole in it. Any Ideas as to how thick it is. Any one drill a hole in it for some reason. Possibly some one that works for a place with a roof ornament, like Transglobe. Any Ideas what to use to fill the space between the sunroof and the roof between the rib, that would hold the sunroof on, and take the strain off the ribs?

Need advice on how to mount aftermarket, used sunroof from Suzuki Swift. Sunroof roof is small enough to fit roof, but has a flatter curve, about 1/4 in. overall, or 18 in. at each end when the center is touching. Also there is the matter of the ribs, and how to deal with them without replacing the whole roof. The sunroof that I have is made for a thin metal roof, and I don't know how thick the Smart roof is. Help?![merged here by moderator - s_mack]

Due to their company privacy standards they could not give me any information concerning these additions to their cars, so no help here. I'm trying to see if I can get a piece of roof and liner from some where to do measurements and examine materials. Any Ideas about doing this? Any one know of a wreched Smart, that I can obtain a samples from?

found this while surfing the net...http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.a...product_ID=2910edit: Just found the original web site and it's Canadian - now will it fit over the ribs?http://www.crlaurence.ca/ProductPages/show...1::21809::21810 We might be in luck here...

Thanks for the info. I'm still hoping to get the larger sunroof (17x32) to some how work, since I got it so cheap. The 17x17 sunroof look promising if I can't. The only thing I dislike is the square shape, and it could be wider. Possibly a pair of these could be mounted side by side to cover the conplete width if the roof, but I think this would be to crowded. They do have a roofs (Astra-View II & III 15x30) that may be better suited, as long as the curve of the roof can be matched, and the ribs on the roof can be adequately deal with.

I use to have a B210 Datsun that I bought used. It had an aftermarket sunroof. It was a low profile aluminium and plastic/rubber bezel that fit through the roof. A smooth edged poiece of tempered glass fit over top of the beszel and was sealed by the rubber of the bezel. The hindges and clamping mechanism held the glass wather tight to the bezel when closed, but when open there was a 2 to 3 inch gap arround the back of the glass for ventillation. I like this type of sunroof because it is functionally simple, and very thin (1 to 1.5 in at the hindges and clamp handle, with less than 3/8 in. above the existing roof when closed).

The other night I was showing the smart car to a couple from New York vacationing in the area and he said something similar to this. But instead of a glass roof he explained how the existing roof could be cut and keep the cutout for the opening instead of the glass. Basically a hatch I guess. All that would be needed were hinges and a sunroof handle and a bezel with rubber. Not a bad idea...

I guess I'm going to come off sounding like a thread-crapper (yet again, in the same thread!), but I still just don't get it. Just because you found a sun roof cheap, doesn't mean you should hack away at a perfectly good smart fortwo to make it fit. Why not sell or trade yours in on one that better suits your needs and desires?

I guess I'm going to come off sounding like a thread-crapper (yet again, in the same thread!), but I still just don't get it. Just because you found a sun roof cheap, doesn't mean you should hack away at a perfectly good smart fortwo to make it fit. Why not sell or trade yours in on one that better suits your needs and desires?

I've looked into a few places on the net that do sunroofs. The best I think is Technologylx as mentioned above. The reason with not going with them is that their sunroofs all seen to large and donot have the curve required by the Smart. Aw, but you will say that they have a sunroof that is 17x17. This size is barely worth putting in as it is too small, but woud probably fit better because it is small, as the curve of the roof wouldn't be as much a problem. My idea is to get as big a sunroof as can fit in the roof. As for trading my Smart in for another one, there aren't any that better suits my desire as there are drawbacks to both the solid glass roof and convertable. Sometimes to get what you want means CUSTOM. And as I said above I don't intend to hack into anything until everything is worked out, and experts are involved in installation. I might even trash the whole idea if it doesn't work out, but I'll give it a good going over first for feasability first.

I use to have a B210 Datsun that I bought used. It had an aftermarket sunroof. It was a low profile aluminium and plastic/rubber bezel that fit through the roof. A smooth edged poiece of tempered glass fit over top of the beszel and was sealed by the rubber of the bezel. The hindges and clamping mechanism held the glass wather tight to the bezel when closed, but when open there was a 2 to 3 inch gap arround the back of the glass for ventillation. I like this type of sunroof because it is functionally simple, and very thin (1 to 1.5 in at the hindges and clamp handle, with less than 3/8 in. above the existing roof when closed).

The other night I was showing the smart car to a couple from New York vacationing in the area and he said something similar to this. But instead of a glass roof he explained how the existing roof could be cut and keep the cutout for the opening instead of the glass. Basically a hatch I guess. All that would be needed were hinges and a sunroof handle and a bezel with rubber. Not a bad idea...
Bar: That would work if you can find a bezel with the same curve as the roof, that would seal and keep relativley the same roof line. The problem would be finding a bezel with the same curvature as the roof. There are three problems to over come with any roof treatment for the Smart 1) Curvature of roof is more than relative standard roof curve of most cars, suv's, trucks, and vans 2) The ribbs must be delt with in some way that is pleasing to the eye and practical 3) The roof material is not steal as in most of the vehicles listed above, so thicknes and strength of the roof is an issue. This is why I'm in search of sample materials of the roof.

quoting "Barry Van der Ende" and possible solutions:... 1) Curvature of roof is more than relative standard roof curve of most cars, - try VW type 1 glass sunroof.... 2) The ribbs must be delt with, - heat up and mould gently down the ribbs c:a 20 mm from the cut edge.... 3) The roof material is not steal as in most of the vehicles listed, - thicknes and strength of the roof is enough. (IMO)Go for it Man ! You will succeed, and Good Luck !CcL :)

quoting "Barry Van der Ende" and possible solutions:... 1) Curvature of roof is more than relative standard roof curve of most cars, - try VW type 1 glass sunroof.... 2) The ribbs must be delt with, - heat up and mould gently down the ribbs c:a 20 mm from the cut edge.... 3) The roof material is not steal as in most of the vehicles listed, - thicknes and strength of the roof is enough. (IMO)Go for it Man ! You will succeed, and Good Luck !CcL :)

Thanks for the encouragement. Have you actualy done this type of mod? LIke I said, I Have a sunroof all ready that is big enough but needs a slight bit more cure to it. The VW you mentioned, I will try and find a source to get dimensions to see if it would fit. Thanks again for your help.

This sunroof recommended by CRLaurence Co. will fit according to Mauricio at ext. 7782 (phone no. 800-421-6144). It is intended for a VW Beetle but has double curve so it may not fit perfectly but it is the one recommended. The problem here is that they are a manufacturer that deal only with autoglass installer as a wholesaler, so I have to order it through a autoglass place like Apple. These places will only order it if they are installing it. The other problem is that, I can't get any tecnical data or drawings about this roof, and must take his word as to it working. This same part no. is available from TechnolyLK.

"The VW sunroof is not likely to work. I (Rimma from customer service) asked the manager of our Automotive department for suggestions, (he already had some inquiries on this type of car) he suggested the following two types of sunroofs.. Either one will work: 1) SFC/CRL 18 x 28 Newport sunroof universal trim ring - solor high performance glass 2) SFC/CRL 15 x 30 in Autoport sunroof with universal trim ring." Again the conflicting recommendations from the pros. The good thing about these sunroofs is that prices are about $200 for these. Wether they fit with the curve, it is hard to tell from a picture. They look no more curved than the used one I have.

My advice is still to look at another smart car with factory sunroof, or a cabriolet. This project sounds very experimental. The factory sunroof does the tilt thing too, if that's all you want.

My advice is still to look at another smart car with factory sunroof, or a cabriolet. This project sounds very experimental. The factory sunroof does the tilt thing too, if that's all you want.

Sure, it is experimental, some times that is the only way to do things without spending money you don't have, but still get a satisfactory result. I'm on a fixed income so cost is a major factor. I need to be able to do this, if I'm going to, for as little money as possible. I'm just looking into the feasability of it at the moment. Since I all ready have the car, trading it for one with a factory sunroof that opens (I been told by the dealer that they don't have a factory one that opens, except the convertable, and I haven't seen one in their brochures. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong) would be more costly of all the other options to get what I would like. Don't worry, I intend to take things slow and think everything through first, and in the end may not even do it in the end because of the uncertainty of the results. There is another reason I'm looking into this, this thread started with some one else asking the question. During my research, the responses I've recieved from the experts show that others have asked them the same question numerous times. Why not get the question of whether or not it can be done, delt with and then move on.

There is a sliding glass factory sunroof available ($1200 option), which tilts and slides. It might be possible to trade for a car with one for less $ than the conversion you are looking at.

There is a sliding glass factory sunroof available ($1200 option), which tilts and slides. It might be possible to trade for a car with one for less $ than the conversion you are looking at.

Please enlighten me as I can't find this sliding sunroof mentioned on the Smart Canada website. You would think that if they had this feature they would hype it up. The glass roof is mentioned, but this doesn't open! It is possible it is available only in Europe. I've never seen one like that here in Canada. There is a sliding one for the Benz cars, but I don't think it would fit in the short roof of the Smart. As for the suggestion of buyng another car with this type sunroof installed: With the depreciation on my car plus the increase in sticker price of the new car plus the cost of the sunroof, this is not practical. It would cost me a few thousands of dollars to go that route.

If you go to the smart configurator, and go to Optional Equipment, under Exterior:

Electric glass sunroof 1,200 $

Posted Image

It was even available on the pure model in 2006....

It is awesomely built, too. I've had a look at a few cars that have it, it's spot-on! It seems to be very rare in Canada though.-Iain

Yeah I wish I had gotten it, but there was no $2000 rebate and the glass roof is nice too. :P

Don't get me wrong; I'd never trade my full-length glass roof for a sunroof! The price difference is likely why more people do not opt for it:"Why would we pay $1200 more for half the glass, which we would have had for free?" - etc.-Iain

I love the sunroof option - no worries about soft top issues - and a nice bit of breeze etc. If we get a nice day out here in the winter - or a day with nice spots - zip open it goes - rain - zip closed it goes. The bug screen and wind mask are a nice touch too as is the ability to use it as a vent (tap the button to open it and it comes up just a bit at the back) with out really opening it. All in all you get what you pay for.As far as retro fitting an after market one in a plastic roof car - if you figure you can get it done for $1200 and done properly (not a leaky breezy ugly looking add on) - have at 'er. Just remember the next person to buy your vehicle might not share the same sense of aestetics - and roofs are expensive :biglaugh: Cheers,Cameron

To bad it was not an option in 2005 when we bought our Smart, I would have gotten it. Can it be retrofitted to a 2005, I wonder, and at what cost? I don't want to go to the poor house for it. Maybe I'll have yo wait until a used one is available from a wreck before getting one. Some data for anyone thinking of putting in a aftermarket sun roof. The roof thickness is 10 mm aprox. the ribs are 7 mm in height and 25 mm wide. You must come in atleast 16 cm approx. from the front edge of the plastic part of the roof inorder to miss internal plactic parts above the windscreen (the part with the sunvisor atached). The outer part of the roof seems to be made of some type of high temp carbon compositE. It doesnot melt, or form easily, and so the ribs will ahve to be cut down and filled in some fashion in order to get a tight fit to a sun roof. The inder core of the roof under this outer cover seems to be a fiberglass composite with the inner fabric glued to it.