Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
megasmart

After Market Sun Roof

55 posts in this topic

The sunroof was an option on the passion and pulse in 2005 as well.Funny how some dealers don't have complete info, or at least don't share it. Some people were told in 2004/5 that you have to buy leather to get heated seats. FALSE! My cloth seated car (built November 4, 2004) is proof of that....Power assisted steering is another weird one, it's not in the price list and yet it is available.

The sunroof was an option on the passion and pulse in 2005 as well.Funny how some dealers don't have complete info, or at least don't share it. Some people were told in 2004/5 that you have to buy leather to get heated seats. FALSE! My cloth seated car (built November 4, 2004) is proof of that....Power assisted steering is another weird one, it's not in the price list and yet it is available.

I don't remember the electric sunroof that could open being mentioned at the time I looked at the car in the show room before buying it. I was looking at the lower priced model "PURE" so I guess they never mentioned it as it is not available on the "PURE". The original brochure I got for the car did not list options, as it was a single page (Front and back) only. After we had ordered the car, a more detailed brochure came out. It was then that I saw the sunroof as an option. The car was all ready in transit at this point and my old car was on its last legs. So I took the car as it was ordered. Also beyond the delay it would mean not accept the one that was ordered for me and ordering a new one; I realized to get the sun roof meant $2000 more for the car, plus $1200 for the sun electric sun roof option. To change Cars after that point, meant a cost of $5000 or more (depeciation on my car, moe cost of the pulse, and the cost of the electric sun roof.) I beleave that the dealers were not fully trained and familiar with these cars when they first started selling them and errors were made. I hope these are now few, and far between, but who knows.

I ordered a SFC/CRL 17x17 (VT1717B5H) sunroof. The 32x17 one I got cheap won't work in the Smart roof without a lot of hassle. The 17x17 is about 2/3 the area of the bigger one but will fit better because it is narrower. Any one want the old 32x17 one cheap. I think the 17x17 one is a good compromise. It is large enough to let some sun in, but small enough not to put too much strain on the roofing materials, and it opens for ventillation. I don't intend to but it in until next year, but I thought I would pick it up now while the Canadian dollar is high compared to the US, and save some money.

On Tue Jun 12 2007 at 5:55 PM, Barry Van der Ende said:
SameGuy said:

My wife was watching me do some simple wiring mods this weekend and said,"[sigh] I guess you bought the wrong car if you're making changes already..."

I explained to her that first, I'm just returning things to the original locations and functions, and second, I'm personalizing my ride. But to me, adding an after-market sunroof is akin to admitting you bought the wrong car.

It is not that you bought the wrong car, it is that you want something unique, a one of a kind vehicle. I believe I bought the right car, the sunroof options offered by Smart was not what I wanted. A solid glass roof wasn't for me, and the covertable was to expensive and complex to me. A simple flit open sunroof is all I wanted, but unavailable from the dealer. I thought I could always put in a after market sunroof later. Unknown to me, these have gone out of vogue. Even CTC doesn't carry them any more as they become more like a Wallmart. I've looked on the internet and phoned local auto glass places, and only one place even do them anymore. They will not do the Smart because of the plastic roof the ribs and its material and being unable to get a sunroof that small. It seems that most sunroofs of this type installed today are in trucks and vans or larger Luxury cars. All is not lost though, I was able to get a line on a low profile sunroof from a old suzuki swift, that was factory installed and seems small enough. It is still stuck in a piece of roof and has been outside for a while, but is dirt cheap. It will give me an idea of the feasableof the job. I will probably have to figure out some thing to fill in between the ribs to seal it. I also won't be doing it, if at all, until the warrentee period is over for the car, to avoid any problems. That is if this sunroof is in any shape to be mounted again, and I can find some one willing to do it for me (I don't have the stamina, space or tools to do it any more, even if I may have the will)

There's a sunroof place in Chelmsford, Essex. They do small sunroofs.

Just a thought 😊

That's a long way from Canada!

1 person likes this