Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartmom

Headlight replacement

164 posts in this topic

I replaced the right side last spring, now the left side has gone out. I just go over to CT or Driver's with my burnt one and find one that matches and away I go. So far so good.

Changed my first two H7 bulbs last night, with some assistance. For the life of me I could not get the driver's side electrical connector to pull off, thankfully my mother with much smaller arms was able to, as well as easily unclip the spring fasteners. The passenger side connector practically fell off. Re-assembly was fairly pain free. About 30 minutes to change both lights, partially in the dark. Next time should go much smoother. Thanks to everyone on there posts and for the photos, made working blindly much easier.

After about 20 bulbs (I'm serious) I bought two Wal-Mart no-name branded ones. They have lasted like 30k+ and have not gone yet! -Iain

Iain, is it possible to get a part or product number for those? I'm thinking that one of us (I'd do it) should contact MB to recommend them. It doesn't look good for the smart brand to have hundreds of cars running around at any given time with a burnt out headlight. It also is a major pain in the butt for owners.

This thread is pretty old, but thought I'd add to it rather than start a new on on headlights.I'm a new owner of a used 2006 cdi and the headlights are giving me grief. I always get flashed at night with just the low beams on and during our first snow this year, the low beams lit up every flake like there was a wall 12 inches in front of the windshield. It is to the point that I'm wondering if the wiring could be mixed up between high and low beams, or if the bulbs could be in the wrong housing. Is the inner reflector section with two bulbs (one marker light and one main bulb the high beam and the other outer most section low beams? Thanks.

On the lower left side of the instrument cluster there is a small dial switch, numbered 0-1-2. This is a low-beam level control, needed because of our cars' short wheelbases and soft springs; if you load up the trunk, you have to lower the low beams with this control. With an empty trunk and full tank, park on level ground about 5 metres (16 feet) from a wall. On the "0" setting, the upper horizontal cut-off should be about 5 cm (2") below the centre-line of the low-beam bulbs. Any higher and you should get your headlights aimed at the dealership. Note that there will be an "up-tick" to the right of both beams, this is normal. On "2" the horizontal cut-off should be at or slightly above the centre-line.

Oh, and yes, it is entirely possible that the wires got switched the last time the front was off the car for whatever servicing reason.

Thanks,I knew about the dial and at the lowest setting it was still a problem. I just spent the last 45 min adjusting the drivers side light down 1/6th of a turn at a time (the up down adjustment screw is pretty hard to reach) and it at least it's now in line with the passenger side. They may both still be too high, but I'll have to find some level ground to test with your measurements. Cheers.

Spectrum,What tool did you use? I'm thinking of getting a long-shaft flexible hex driver... would that be good?

Ya, that would be better than what I had. I tried one of my hex wrenchs with T handles and they wouldn't fit, so I ended up using my handy little foldable bike tool that has the 6mm wrench required. It was easy to do the left-right adjustment, but the up-down adjuster is at an angle that makes the wrench run into the metal rod that drives the wiper. The folding tool fit, but I could only turn it 1/6th to 1/3rd of a turn at a time. Flexible and long handled sounds like just the thing.

I just recently had a headlight on my 06 go (second head light since I got the car; I have about 35,000 K on it now). I also had one of the side rear marker lights burn out a couple weeks ago. Lonestar in Winnipeg replaced both for $42 all in, plus they washed it for me. No complaints from me on the cost or service, Lonestar has always treated me and my car well.As to the longevity of the lights on the Smart well, that is disappointing (my truck has 105,000 kil on it and I have only replaced one of the brake lights).

The issue is with the design of the H7 bulb as it fails prematurely on most vehicles that use it from what I have found on the interweb. Some have had good results with turning off the daytime running lights. My experience thus far is that by leaving them on all the time they last longer.

Hi William,That used H-7 that you gave me and Uncle Glenn helped put in @ Robbinsville N.C. is still working fine.Thanks again WilliamE.B.I'm still running headlights full time too...for Safety sakeGrey car and mostly grey roads need all the visibility I can get!

I am a little surprised that bulb is still going. I think it was the middle of May when I changed it out. I always change in pairs and use the same manufacturer, type of bulbs, those being GE brand. I have a set of Victor H7 set aside for the next change.

Long life Bulbs, I have the P/N from Sylvania 64210LL and I also checked the Phillips web site and they too have a Long Life H7 BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! When I was in Vegas, I tried at a truck stop where they service trucks too and they didn't even know what I was talking about.

I live in Edmonton, does anyone know where I can find these bulbs? I can buy any H7 I want but no Long Life, even Traction, the heavy truck division of NAPA don't have them and can't order them either.

I have 23,000 km on my car and replaced the driver's side bulb twice already and now the other side is burnt out and I hate replacing these suckers, so I would like to try the long life instead but can't find them in Edmonton, any idea where I can find them locally? I found one on eBay but I'm not sure if he ships in Canada yet.

Thanks and hope to find someone who can help...

Alain

http://www.powerbulbs.com/

HIGHLY recommended, this is where I order all my bulbs now. They even carry the Euro turn signal bulbs with a chrome look if you are installing fog lights.

I used to use the Canadian Tire high output bulbs, but I used to go through 1 or 2 a month. Then I switched to Phillips EcoVision:

Posted Image

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=145

It has now been over a year since I changed bulbs last.

Just noticed they have them on sale right now to boot.

I am also noticing that Philips bulbs outlast anything else for any type of lighting. My Philips fog lights last longer than even PIAA's.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Ya, that would be better than what I had. I tried one of my hex wrenchs with T handles and they wouldn't fit, so I ended up using my handy little foldable bike tool that has the 6mm wrench required. It was easy to do the left-right adjustment, but the up-down adjuster is at an angle that makes the wrench run into the metal rod that drives the wiper. The folding tool fit, but I could only turn it 1/6th to 1/3rd of a turn at a time. Flexible and long handled sounds like just the thing.

Are you sure the bulbs are installed properly? If not, this can send the aiming of the bulb all over the place. Easy to do if you don't remove the front panel to replace the bulb.

Hi out there - I'm a recent smart owner (used 2006 Pulse) facing my first headlight replacement. I'm getting mixed information from the nearest dealer and web sites - is it left or right side, viewed from front or back, and is it the Canadian version etc. Would someone please explain which lamps are which in the headlight units? Both my low beams have gone so I can't check one side against the other. High beams work. Some sources say high and low are the same lamp, others say two separate lamps. And which is the running light? Should it be on when the ignition is on, when the brake is off, when the car is in gear, what? I have bought H7 lamps and it looks like they are the outermost lamps (and they seem to be dead). Are the plastic covers similar to the ones closer to the centre of the car(seem to be high beams)? The outer lamps are a real stretch even for my small hands and arms.Thanks for your help.

hi :)post-6253-1266094123_thumb.jpgPlastic covers are identicalpicture is of right headlight assembly ie:passenger side.left hand or center receptical is bright lights.Just above and slightly to the right in the hight beam access hole is the day time running light far right receptical is low beamsHope that helpsIt would be helpful to know were you are located because there may be a club member close by that would be willing to come and helpAlan

Thanks for your reply, which helps a lot. I'm from Ladysmith - I see there is a longstanding member from here. Supposed to be sunnier tomorrow so I will have another go at the lights.

hey your close you should come to one of our thursday night thingys. I should have also mentioned in my first post that in Canada the low beams come on and are used as daytime running lights. The whole front end does come off in about 15 minutes and that makes changing the bulbs much simpler. Whatever you do be gentil, there is a motor that moves the headlight up and down which is easily damaged. The dial under the turn signal lever controls this funtion. its there so you can lower the headlights while you are towing or have a great weight in the back. lolAlan

when I was installing a new high beam bulb and swinging the W clip into place it fell off. I assume I will have to take the front end off to try to find. has this happened to anyone else and what did you do. Also if I need to buy a new W clip, is it a service part? thanks!

I've seen a smart tech loosen one side of the front panel,(the 4 T25 screws from the door, the screw under the trim triangle, and the 2 screws from behind the front grill), pull the panel out and you can access the back of the headlight......better instructions here.

It only takres about 15 mins to remove the front panels :D

The single best piece of advice I've seen -- and I got the advice here at CsC -- about removing the front panels is to put use masking tape to protect the lower A-pillars (the tridion at the lower windshield where it meets the panels). Even my neighbour and a couple of "customers" commented that they thought it was a smart idea.

The other thing to watch for is the headlight lenses. I have had two scratched by techs over the years. Both were replaced. The best way to protect them is to use some temporary 3M stuff.

I prefer the cloth method ''You may wish to place a towel or cloth over the top edges to prevent scratching if you're going to remove it without the help of an assistant.'' :D

when I was installing a new high beam bulb and swinging the W clip into place it fell off. I assume I will have to take the front end off to try to find. has this happened to anyone else and what did you do. Also if I need to buy a new W clip, is it a service part? thanks!

I'd like to get my hands on the engineer who designed these lights!! Yup... that darn 'w' clip is a right pain in the behind... and yes, mine did the same as yours.. dropped down inside, which forced me to learn how to take front off.. and all the trip ups with that...Why they didn't simply have a twist-in connector for the light is beyond me.