Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

abuse of PM

10 posts in this topic

I've now received two copies of what should be a general announcement, sent to my PM inbox. Something about a bunch of Quebec smarties going on a trip to the Hamptons. I have been very impressed that no one has really used the PM feature for spamming members, but this verges on that type of abuse.B:sun:

Me too. Two copies, one minute apart (server delays?). Le Smatte also posted it in the USA forum, where something like that belongs. However, the links in the post that refer to clubsmart.qc.ca require people to logon to that board to see the topics (what inconvenience). Now I believe the fellow means well, it just wasn't done correctly, and it ends up being spam because recruitment for the board is involved.

I got nothing against clubsmart.qc.ca, but I wish it was more accessible. My French is poor.

I received one copy of the same PM. I didn't even know you could pm multiple recipients...S

I didn't get anything. I think you might be able to send to multiple users if you seperate with a comma.

Good to know it wasn't traditional spam. He's trying to drum up the numbers for the NY thing he's doing. I doubt you'll be going, from Edmonton, and I certainly won't be, though I hope he gets a decent turnout.

"Personal" messages should be "personal". Unless the sender truely thought Bil or Mike or whoever would want a "personal" invitation, then this is spam. A reasonable error in judgement... no need to get the hanging judge... but unwanted solicitation in any event.

Spinner: I'm sure they wish cSc was more accessible to the French! If it wasn't such a huge undertaking (and frankly a pain in the behind), I would like to see all the buttons and links and static content (non user-posts) translated into French so our brothers and sisters can use this site more freely. Simply choose your language in your user profile, and it displays the items accordingly.

Obviously, the bulk of the user posts will be in English, but navigation becomes a possibility.

- Steven

Steve, I have that sorta planned for the next version of phpBB.