Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve C.

your desktop is...?

153 posts in this topic

Any tips on how to post your desk top?

For Windows:1) press Print Screen button (This copies a screenshot to the clipboard)2) open a photo editing program (like Microsoft paint if that's all you have)3) Click Edit, Paste.4) Click File, Save As and select JPEG from the dropdown box.For Mac:1) Click Command+Shift+3 (This saves a screenshot as a PNG to your desktop)(You might want to scale it down a bit as some screenshots saved as PNGs can be quite large.)

Every christmas, I reformat and bring new life to my PC's. Here's the new desktop

Posted Image

I gave up on "busy" background pictures because it becomes harder to discern the foreground icons. So, I usually go for a solid colour or let the Mac rotate its library of non-photo backgrounds. For photos, these are my favourites (I own the copyright on these):

I feel the same way... to distracted. I design my own, with just a hint of a pic, usually in the corner. Here are some of my humble creations:http://web.mac.com/leskern/Site/Desktops.html

post-5540-1206968074_thumb.jpg

My desktop is a photo of my car parked in front of the main pavillion at Assinaboine Park. The picture is taken from the top of the tower of the pavillion. My car is the only vehicle in a sea of green. Really quite nice. Wish I could post it here but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

It IS nice.

I feel the same way... to distracted. I design my own, with just a hint of a pic, usually in the corner. Here are some of my humble creations:

The samples look good and remind me of the Q-107 Legends of Rock (?) free wrap job that one of the members got done on his model 450 a few years ago.However, the upload you presented shows a very cluttered desktop. Shame! .... SHAME! :lol: Since you have Leopard, first thing you got to do is recoup some of your dock. Drag-and-drop the Applications folder to the dock to create a stack. Then you will have two-click access to most applications (more clicks for sub-folders). Leave the dock to just the most often-used apps. Here is an example of the Applications folder as a stack (exploded):post-25-1207826383_thumb.jpgBTW, did you notice how windows reflect in the glossy dock?

I keep as few icons as possible on the desktop, preferring folders, toolbars, and organized start menu. The base pic is a lovely bunny rabbit, but you never see it because I have 3 active desktop pics. Two are webcams, one in downtown, the other at parliament in ottawa. The third is maximized under them and so covers the whole desktop. It's a composite infrared gif satellite image of the last 12 hours, animated, showing the whole northwestern hemisphere, from pole to lower tropic, and from atlantic to pacific. I can see the weather coming, the storms building, who's hot, who's cold. It's great, I found it at some weather service years ago, but I don't share it much for fear they'll see too much traffic and shut it down. I refresh these pics daily or when I'm curious for an update.

The samples look good and remind me of the Q-107 Legends of Rock (?) free wrap job that one of the members got done on his model 450 a few years ago.However, the upload you presented shows a very cluttered desktop. Shame! .... SHAME! :lol: Since you have Leopard, first thing you got to do is recoup some of your dock. Drag-and-drop the Applications folder to the dock to create a stack. Then you will have two-click access to most applications (more clicks for sub-folders). Leave the dock to just the most often-used apps. Here is an example of the Applications folder as a stack (exploded):post-25-1207826383_thumb.jpgBTW, did you notice how windows reflect in the glossy dock?

Hey, I hear your plea and I get it! :) I think it has something to do with two things: Ancient traditions and how I do my work. I've been working on Macs since the Plus, so a few things are rooted pretty deep. The other is the way I work. I'm a tech director and I have a business developing software. I may have to quickly open an html, for instance, in Dreamweaver, GoLive, BBEdit or Firefox or whatever, and I find dragging to the doc easier than right clicking and selecting the app to open it. I've tried Spaces but find it cumbersome... but keep trying to find a way to use it. It's actually faster to scoot over to the XP box and link to the Mac and run a sample or access a software build for testing than to use VMWare. On the XP box I have a quick link to the Mac desktop... just faster. And faster is key. Macs make me more productive for sure, and I'd LIKE to find shortcuts, but MAN am I fast the way I do things now. I try to archive older files, and they are neatly put away and compressed if older than a year or two, but I find it difficult to try to manage 300,000 files on one machine. But as proof I "get it", note the other two machines with blessedly clear desktops! :D

post-5540-1208023096_thumb.jpg

Edited by LKern

my pic is my BUDDY and substitute drive (when im not in the car and he is) post-1917-1209072244_thumb.jpg

my current desktop pic includes a compact vehicle, and house...post-143-1209070853_thumb.jpg

I REALLY like that shot. Someone's got the right idea.

Putz....Awww just remember, they get bigger! I have two rotti, lab, shepherd crosses, and at 17 months, they are 108 and 80 pounds respectively. They DO NOT fit in the smart at the same time.Steve,C. Just to show that compact toes not mean deprived. Many of the micro houses have all the amenities one needs.Cool pics for sure.John

OK my desktop is pretty un-creative. It's always a pic of me racing. I figured since I just changed it to a new picture taken last weekend on my new bike, I'd share it with you guys. It's not a particularly dramatic one compared to others I've got of me on my old bike, but it's a nice clean shot.

post-5329-1209155699_thumb.jpg

now switched to this electric vehicle, the flybo, which may look familiar to some of you... post-143-1211943368_thumb.jpg

This is our desktop: London GB, 1984, the girl, well I remember her well, she is my wife!

Posted Image

Two are webcams, one in downtown, the other at parliament in ottawa.

Any chance of getting the URL for the downtown Saskabush camera? Haven't been able one down anywhere for here. TNX Yolanda

anyone still wear "muscle shirts" ????

I still have that semi-transparent Sergio Valente shirt, and it fits too! :lol:

Two are webcams, one in downtown, the other at parliament in ottawa.

Any chance of getting the URL for the downtown Saskabush camera? Haven't been able one down anywhere for here. TNX Yolanda
Sure, it's featured on CBC's saskatchewan webpage http://www.cbc.ca/sask/ What I did was open the popup window and right click to get the link address which I used on the desktop. The camera is on 2nd avenue overlooking the block between 21st and 22nd, off the CBC roof.