Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spinner

Shall we create a Technical forum?

Should we create the following Category/Forums: (see first post for details)   21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
    • Not Choosing

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

Should we create the following Category/Forums:

Category: Technical

-----Forum: Modifications & Performance

-----Forum: How-To (moved from Smart Car Forums category)

NOTE: As the board progresses, more forums may be created or split according to demand. This poll is open for 10 days.

Hope I'm not throwing things off here, but I get a little confused when you talk about what should or shouldn't be in a forum. I'll trust the judgement of others when it comes to what should and shouldn't be. I just ask that when you break things up farther you make it clear what goes in each. Give a listing something like Fred suggested:

"Cosmetic & Creature comfort modifications" (electronic gizmos, paint jobs, sound systems, etc.)

"Performance modifications" (wheels, suspensions, remaps, etc.)

"Day to day tips and problem solving" (squeaks, inacurate gauges, lighting problems, etc.)

So, for what it's worth, I cast my vote.

I'd like to vote, spinner...but I find the ballot a tad confusing. Maybe it's just me.Are you suggesting just move the 'How to' out of the 'smart forums' into a 'Technical' forum, or two separate forums for 'How to' and 'Modifications and Performance'.It seems to me that if there were two separate forums for 'How to' and 'Modifications and Performance', that members would have a hard time deciding where to post...as most 'How to's' are inherently 'modifications' aren't they?

Personally - I think so many of the "how-to"s aren't.

To me, a "how-to" shouldn't really be even a discussion... it should reside on a static website and should be a clear and consise step-by-step set of instructions on how to do something. I do believe that was the original intent for this website to begin with. Keep in mind that this forum really only came to be because of nasty events that happened at the *other* forum... this was supposed to be just a forum to help assist with the creation of a regionalized and informative website with information like how-to's... but not really a place to discuss smarts. Of course, that's all changed now (for the better!) so its a continually evolving entity.

Back to my point... take that post regarding the gorilla alarm currently in the how-to. I'm not at all knocking that post - just using it as an example. If you purchased the gorilla alarm and went to that post for instructions, you wouldn't really find any there. A few pictures and a little commentary, but no "Step 1 - do this. Step 2 - remove this. Step 3 - burn that." etc. So something like that, in my opinion, belongs in the "Modifications..." thread.

I'm not sure that "modifications" and "performance" necessarily go together either, but I have no better suggestion.

- Steven

Modifications & Performance is a starting point. If there's enough volume and activity, it can be split.

I really like the idea of this new forum, but I also am afraid of it. We have some really smart smarties out there and I will enjoy reading their tech info. That is not the issue. It?s the goof ball that might write up some mod, that leaves members with a broken smart or worse in the ditch.I like the idea of this new forum, but posts must be researched.The Peep prospective

I like the idea of this new forum, but posts must be researched.

So don't anybody post "How To Improve Your Fuel Economy By Inflating Your Tires With Helium" until you've actually tried it out and can verify the fuel savings!!!