Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

Scrolling LED Signs

45 posts in this topic

I hope this doesn't lead to more road rage, with people possibly programming in some choice messages...

Have you seen the scrolling LED plate frames on sale at Canadian Tire right now? Hold 5 programs and can be switched up with a remote control. I can see a whole new level of road rage coming...S

OMG (runs and grabs flyer)

The display is HUGE!!!! AND DOT MATRIX, not crappy 7-segment!!!!!

I'm getting one. I'm getting one. I'm gettingoneimgettingoneimgettingone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Iain

Well that sucks:

• A scrolling LED license plate is easily wired to car brake lights

[*]LED board illuminates when brake lights activate

[*]Message starts scrolling after two seconds

Have to figure out a way to make it always-on.

-Iain

Could it not just as easily be wired to something that is always on?Not that I'm trying to encourage you or anything.

Who knows. Maybe it's clever enough that it knows if you give it a constant voltage it times out after 5 minutes or something.$40 though... gonna check 'em out after SPS Race 1 tomorrow.-Iain

I bet if you wired it to the license plate lights instead of the brake lights for power, it would stay on all the time. But that's probably not legal.

The instructions show both ways! You can wire it however, to be always-on, or only when the brakes come on. You can even program it so the whole display flashes red when you push your brakes (essentially giving you a fourth brake light), for 2 seconds, before going back to the message.Message can be lower and upper case, you can even change the scroll speed!!The module that is the display is pressed into a plastic chrome frame, and it pops right out. I will likely be mounting it on its own (not in the frame), maybe in the back window! This is going to be awesome!!! :D-Iain

I just quickly hooked it up to a power supply - man is it ever smooth. Really vibrant, too.For $40 I totally expected a piece of junk, but this thing is awesome! Might just hook it up to a switched fuse on the e-box instead of the licence plate lights (since they only come on when the lights are on, right?).-Iain

Now we need to see if we can tie it into the Scangauge or MDC computer and display the real time fuel consumption out the back window - hee hee.Cheers,Cameron

OMG! where do you get those things?! i want one like super bad.i drink monsters as it is now all i gotta do is poor some in there! thats crazy XD :smitten: one more question..what all colors do they come in?

I think I'm gonna take it off my rack, so if you're interested send me a PM!-Iain

I found two that seem nice.

Of course the previously mentioned drivemocion is for sale at ThinkGeek for US$29.95:

Drivemocion LED Sign

And ThinkGeek sells another scrolling sign for US$39.95. You can program its display to say anything:

Scrolling LED sign

Edited by briand