Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Long Point. Sunday.Oct 29th 2006

66 posts in this topic

Spotted a black/white pure cabrio parked in downtown Simcoe.

I saw that one too. I wondered if Shamu washed up on shore in those winds :P

Looked more like Bartholomew to me. :cheeky:

Is that from the Tragically Hip, New Orleans is Sinking - Killer Whale Tank edition? Not many people would get that reference, too funny.

Who would have beleived that we would have 19 smarts join our little drive?? Especially when the day before we had wind gusts up to 90km/hr with driving rain. We were fortunate not to get any rain and the skies did clear, but we did have the cold and that strong wind.

A big thank you goes out to Bill for planning the itinerary and having everything proceed with no glitches!! We were also fortunate to be ''educated'' about the wind turbines by Bill and being led right to the base of one of those babies for our photop. They are far larger than I imagined. What a sensible technology!! Maybe we can persuade Bill to post his ''facts'' about the turbines for all to see.

It amazed me that everyone who signed up for the drive showed up!! Not only that, but we had some add on's- Al, Estelle, Jack&Don immediately come to mind.

Many of the people coming from Bowmanville, Mississauga,Oakville,Hamilton,Kitchener had to fight head winds and rain/snow conditions. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only smartaholic out there.

Had a great drive!! All the smarts performed flawlessly and they are so much fun. Yesterday I particularly enjoyed seeing those blue skies and clouds through the glass roof.

It was awesome standing on the wind swept beach at Port Bruce with the turbulent water and seeing the wind turbines off in the distance behind the cliffs. I will also not forget standing at the base of the turbines and looking straight up to see the clouds going by and getting dizzy doing it. Thanks Estelle!!

We got many friendly waves going through all the small towns and other drivers were very polite and helped us to keep our group together.

The Boat House restaurant in Port Rowan was beautifully located on the water and we had a lovely time sharing food with friends. Good choice Bill!!!

Thanks to all for coming out!!

Remember to change to your winter tires if you haven't done that!

I was a good boy yesterday and refrained from selling any ''snake oil'' or mods :biglaugh: .

Hi Everyone, I've put more photos that Cliff and I took on Sunday on the Hewlett-Packard Snapfish photo site. If you wish to see or browse this group of nearly 100 images, please go to http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=366291162...c=SYE/otsi=SALB It will be necessary to log in, if you have an account already, or if not, to get an account requiring name and email address to do so before logging into the photos. It is somewhat of a nuisance, but they swear they don't SPAM and I've not been able to find the photos I've put there on a Google or other search. I've not attached any names to photos either. Enjoy! We certainly did!

Alberta (and Cliff)

Many thanks to Glenn and Bill for putting together a wonderful cruise, and to everyone for being such good company.

Alan

post-476-1162220591.jpg

post-1-1162220591.jpg

post-1-1162220592.jpg

post-1-1162220593.jpg

post-1-1162220594.jpg

Thanks guys for putting yesterday's outing together and thanks to all brave souls who were participating and weren't affraid that our "mighty Smart cars" can't outhandle mother nature.

Those windmills are awesome and Bill's feedback about them was true icing on the cake. It was nice to see some familiar faces and few new ones as well. Pretty happy bunch of people these Smart car owners, eh? Be safe till we meet again.

Kindest regards to all.

Just a bit of economy info.

Bowmanville to Husky - 238km, 12.55L = 5.27L/100km !!!!! (that's my highest ever)

Husky, the cruise and back to Bowmanville - 394km, 15.77L = 4.00L/100km

Quite the head wind going out to the Husky. Many times I was pinned at 110km/h while going up hills.

Fun experience to start off a great day. I'd like to see those specifications from Bill again. I was trying to recall some today for the fellow nerds at work.

Spotted a black/white pure cabrio parked in downtown Simcoe.

Naw! I'm sure it would have been just an ordinary smart. If it had been Shamu, MY Orca would have known about it! :biglaugh:

Thanks Glenn and Bill, that was a great day. Sorry I had to leave early.

And Bill, I would really like to know when and where the next wind turbine will get set up. I find these things fascinating and would love to see one up close. Don't care to climb up to do so though... :tremble:

Typical 1.5 MegaWatt wind turbines.....

...stand over 30 stories high (around 120 meters or 395 feet)

...permanently lighted (any structure over 91 meters in Ontario must be) and each one is charted on all aviation maps

...about 260 feet to the hub (note some measurements are in old-school english, others in metric. I'm fluent in both)

...3 x 30 meter tower sections are bolted together, measuring 16 feet in diameter at the base to about 10 feet at the top

...Nacel (also spelled Nacelle) houses gearbox, generator, oil cooler, electronic controls, yaw & pitch controllers (turns the

Ninto into the wind and adjusts the blade pitch re the wind speed) and other equipment, and weighs over 60 tons.

...the blades are 39 meters long, and the hub assembly (3 blades and the hub) weight about 25 tons

...the entire turbine weights in around 110 tons (220,000 pounds or about 100,000 kilograms)

...they're assembled in 5 or 6 lifts using a 100 ton main crane (renting for around $1,000 an hour - 10 hour daily minimum)

...the underground base contains the concrete from at least 30 cement mixing trucks, depending on soil type

...it takes a wind of only 4 meters/second (about 14 kmph or 9 mph) to start the blades in motion

...at a wind of about 12 m/s (40 kmph or 28 mph) the unit is operating at 100 %

...at a wind of about 25 m/s (90 kmps or 55 mph) the unit stops itself until the wind drops below this speed

...the unit stops in high winds, after a lightning strike or if disconnected from the grid. It tests every 5 minutes to restart

...the unit operates at 100 % only about 10 % of the time

...60 to 80 % of the time it outputs between 25 and 100 % of its capacity

...this means it averages around a 30 to 35 % capacity factor

...because of a effect known as the Betz Limit (moving air on stationary objects) a turbine's theoretical efficiency is 59.2 %

maximum. In practice it actually around 30 % efficient at extracting energy from wind

...30 % capacity factor x 30 % efficiency = not that great! That's why turbines are located in only the windiest areas

...potential wind energy is 8 times greater with a doubling of wind speed [MATH ALERT!] 8 meter/second wind has the

potential of 314 watts per square meter of exposed air. At 16 mps, there's potentially 2,509 watts/m2

...wind speed increases roughly 12 % with every doubling in height from ground level

...colder air has more energy potential. Air at -30 C has around 25 % more potential energy than air at +15 C.

...a 1.5 MegaWatt turbine has the potential of 4 to 4 1/2 GigaWatt Hours of output annually. That's 4 to 4 1/2 million

kilowatt hours or about enough output to power 300 th 400 averager homes

...they generate about 700 volts AC which is stepped up to over 20,000 volts by the tranformer at the tower base. It's

then fed underground to poles at the road and along overhead lines to the central main transformer station where it's

stepped up to around 44,000 volts and fed along overhead transmission lines to one of the utility's main distrbution

stations

...turbines can be places a minimun of 5 1/2 rotor diameters appart so as not to interfere with air flow, but are always

spaced much further appart when conditions allow

...wind farms are usually located in rural areas where land allocation will have minimal impact. They use approximately

1/3 acre on average, including 35 x 35 meter footprint plus the access road

...the land owners earn between $4,000 to $8,000 annually per turbine, depending on company and contract conditions

...the CFA (Canadian Federation of Agriculture) is formulating a standard wind turbine lease agreement for use nationally

...these 1.5 MW turbines cost around $1,500,000 each, plus installation

...the 66 turbine farm we saw on Sunday is reported to have cost the developing company $186,000,000

...this wind farm consists of 66 turbines, with the ability to power around 30,000 homes. There's 99 more turbines planned

...this wind farm already also has the potential to reduce CO2 emissions by over 200,000 tonnes annually

...international studies show a result of approximately 1 bird strick per year per turbine (because the blades are large, slow

moving and visible, very high and the tower offers no nesting space) The average domestic cat accounts for 2-4 birds

...noise measures only 43 db from 250 metres. The only noticable sound is from the blade tips, as they're travelling at

over 200 mph inspite of rotating only 15 to 16 rpm. The Nacel's mechanics are noise insulated and high enough off

the ground as not to be heard. Typical ambient noise levels are around 50 db, higher outside on windy days.

Question....what's big, bold and impressive, stands tall, moves slowly but gracefully, and costs almost nothing to run?

ME !!! ( Actually, it's a wind turbine)

Hope this info is interesting and maybe even useful. It only scratches the surface of this technology.

If you've got any questions, send them along. Or do like I do....make up the answer. Look 'em straight in the eyes and lie loudly and convincingly and they'll never question you, for you will then be seen as an EXRERT !!!

Ciau,

Bill

mrnatural! I liked the caption "look up, waaaaaaaaay up"

I remember that tv show!!! It was good quality stuff :)

Looks like everyone had fun!

Hi Gang,

I am sorry I have been unable to post anything until now. First, I just wanted to say that I had a terrific time with you all. The day was incredible. My co-pilot Mark and I will post some pics soon. Like Matt said, I have never been to that part of Ontario before. It's stunning. Can't wait to do it again in the summer!

On a more personal note. This is my first day back to work because I had been in the emergency ward with my husband from Sunday night after a 911 call for an ambulance to Monday night night when he was discharged. Not to get into too deep of details. He is fine and is home resting with a lot of pain killers. We thought he suffered a kidney stone but after doing every possible test imagineable from Xrays to CAT scans, they could not find anything life threatening. A pinched nerve is the only thing we can think of now. On a funny note, I said he wouldn't have had such back problem issues if he rode in my smart instead of his Mazda3!! I was up Sunday morning at 6:45 a.m. getting ready for the cruise and was finally able to sleep Monday night at 9 p.m. I trly don;t know how Doctors can function being up for more than 36hours at a time.

Cheers everyone! I hooe to see you all again soon.

Glenn, I am so sorry I had forgotten about your magazine... Next time you are anywhere near Burlington, I will be more than happy to bring what ever issues I have left.

Hugs!

Cleo

Hi, Cleo's posting struck a sympathetic chord with me as I too spent time in the emergency room some years back when my husband Cliff did have a kidney stone. It is certainly a bad pain! :cry2:

Lithotripsy (not exactly a pleasant experience either, by the way) took care of his problem, so I hope that some reasonable solution for your husband's nerve problem will be found.

Best wishes for a good recovery for him.

Alberta

We had a fantastic day thanks to the sort of co-operative weather (wind but no rain or snow) and the great company. Smarties are the best! Many thanks Bill for the great tour of the wind farm although I think the highlight for Phyllis was the Boston creme. You don't realize how small these cars are until someone on a sugar high starts bouncing around. :biglaugh: I'm sure my fuel/mileage for the day was reasonable. It's always better when we put Glenn at the back, can't imagine why.

Sorry to hear about your husband Cleo. Hope things are going a lot better now. It's hard to beat the seats in a smart.

Terry

Also sorry to hear about your husband, Cleo.

I know about kidney stones and the level of pain they can generate. :zoink:

I've had 6 lithotripsy proceedures and a double laser uretheroscopy over the last 5 years :sniffle::cry2:

I guess I make stones very efficiently. Nice to know that you're good at something.

Hope everyone enjoyed the little show and tell at the turbine site.

Cheers,

Bill