Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adrian

How-To: Turn off Daytime Running Lights

119 posts in this topic

Thanks Mike T for the pm, I've found this very useful especially on sunny days where lights aren't needed or when you want to go into stealth mode at night :) It also saves on bulb-life lol.

How to Turn off DRL:

1. Engine off

2. Pull the high beam lever

3. push "unlock" on the key remote

4. car beeps - DRL is disabled!

To turn on, press "lock" in step 3.

Thanks Mike T for the pm, I've found this very useful especially on sunny days where lights aren't needed or when you want to go into stealth mode at night :) It also saves on bulb-life lol.

How to Turn off DRL:

1. Engine off

2. Pull the high beam lever

3. push "unlock" on the key remote

4. car beeps - DRL is disabled!

To turn on, press "lock" in step 3.

Sweet! :shock: Oh man and here I thought I'd have to snip, snip!

Man that is worth it! Fog Lights here I come!

Just as an aside, the factory fog lights won't work unless you have the lighting switched on (ie the first click on the lighting stalk) not the headlights, just the instrument cluster and the exterior secondary lights

eyah,,,i tried it.. no good.. If someone knows how to remove DRL on the Pure.. Let us know!!

Just as an aside, the factory fog lights won't work unless you have the lighting switched on (ie the first click on the lighting stalk) not the headlights, just the instrument cluster and the exterior secondary lights

Oh. I like that!

Very interesting....I'll see what I can find out about that...

eyah,,,i tried it.. no good.. If someone knows how to remove DRL on the Pure.. Let us know!!

I tried this on my cabrio pure last night. It appears to have worked.

I thought I had it working on my pulse coupe, but I'm not sure anymore. I may have been mistaken about it working Sunday morning en route to Mission. Will try again and let you know.

I wonder what determines it from working? For the record, I know for sure it works on my pulse cabrio. I drive now with the foglights as my DRL instead, so I save the lowbeam lights since the foggies are a lot easier to replace.

Robodave... Did you do the same procedure?? I tried but it didnt work.. maybe I have to hold down the unlock button longer?? Any comment??

ok.. i got it to work!!

FOR ALL YOU PURE OWNERS!!!

with the car off, pull highbeam stalk

within 1 sec push 'unlock' on your remote

you will hear a 'beep'

done

thanks to RoboDave for making me try just one more time

One reason would be to preserve the longevity of the low beam bulbs. I had one of these lights go out early at 11,000 kms. It was at this point I saw the other DRLs, running with much lower intensity, in the headlight assembly.

What's right? I think the low beams being used as DRLs is overkill, but the low-intensity ones might be a joke as far as making yourself visible. And it feels just wrong for bright lights to be coming on without you turning a switch. Will someone forget to turn them on at night? Not likely because the instruments aren't readable in the dark, and you must turn on the lights to get these lit.

DRLs are there as a safety mechanism, and in my opinion a very good one.

If you're not going to run the DRL as designed on the fortwo, do yourself a favour and get some alternate method of providing light from your front-end (fogs, driving lights, etc.). It's like saying you want to disable the airbags because they're too expensive to replace if they blow.

when I do my foglight and HID conversion next week , Im going to hook up the original signals, but use a "silver" coated bulb so that it shows no orange when off, just when on. I cannot remember but I am pretty sure that there is a "city light " inside the headlight housing.. its a 194 style bulb and its usually 5 w... just for dusk and used in lower light situations when the parking lights are on.. almost every european and japanese car has these.

Works well!

The reason I wanted to do it was that I am planning to mount factory fog lights. I would not buy front fogs unless the headlights could be extinguished while the fogs are on, as needed (such as in actual fog or heavy, blinding snow).

So now I need to save some centimes to get me the fog lights....

BTW, my headlights are OK at the moment, but one of my orange slices has burned out. Go figure...

I agree that DRLs are a safety feature, and some sort of bright lights should be on the front at all times.

Reminds me of the tour of the Victoria Legislature - the light bulbs were added around 1900 and lasted 80 years. They were replaced on an as-needed basis with new ones, that last - on average, a few years. This from the tour guide's mouth. Bah, progress!

BTW, my headlights are OK at the moment, but one of my orange slices has burned out. Go figure...

There's that term "orange slices" again. I've read that here or, over there, before. What are you referring to?

Picture Maybe?

Bud

Looks like an orange slice, hence the name (coined at another forum).

Orange slices are the side marker lights on the front end of the car... they are only on the Canadian model.

With regards to deactivating the DRL, it is (of course!) recommended that you run with the parking lights on. There is a less expensive bulb in the headlight cluster that will be on when you have the headlight switch in the middle position. BTW - I still have yet to actually deactivate my DRL successfully.

And Mike - Eddy can hook you up with OEM fogs. They are no longer orderable from MB Canada. (For good reason.) I had Eddy do both the turn signal and foglight changes today, including the OEM switch inside. Yeah, it'll be roughly $390.00 with taxes if you DIY and just get the parts from him.

I'm going to have a crack at the German price first, but Eddy's seems all right...