Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adrian

How-To: Turn off Daytime Running Lights

119 posts in this topic

I still have to confirm that our car has the fog harness. I should do that now...

Yes!! :bowdown: I was able to deactivate DRL on my pure. Thanks to HIGHBOOST for the 1-second tip.I'm as likely to adhere to the way the car was designed for Canada (ie. keep DRLs on). I like the fact that when the instruments are visible in the daytime, the LCD is extra bright to compensate. Turning on the parking lights (with DRL disabled) would change that. :lookaround:

Just turn on the lights to the first increment which will enable the little lights in the headlight nacel. They are plenty bright enough if you feel you need them.

Just turn on the lights to the first increment which will enable the little lights in the headlight nacel. They are plenty bright enough if you feel you need them.

Ahh so that's what that's for. I never noticed when I had the DRL's on. I turned mine off tonight. Sweet!

I'm updating the instructions to make them fool proof. (Take that however you like.)

1. Have the key in your hand. (ie: do not turn engine switch to any position at all!)

2. Pull the high beam lever towards you (ie: as though you are activating the passing light)

3. push "unlock" on the key remote

4. car beeps once - DRL is disabled!

Yes... it works for me now too...

Yes, this works on my pulse as well.

Anyone have any success trying it on a pure?

For an undocumented tip, it does seem silly that it's limited to the more expensive trim levels. You'd think that MB would be listing it as a "feature" in official literature, as an item to help justify the extra expense.

...DRL are mandatory in Canada, so disabling them is illegal. So Mercedes-Benz Canada is not going to describe the "DRL disable" feature.

On page one some people confirmed it works on the pure.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these little 'features' disappear in further versions of the ECU/brain...

I still can't figure out why, other than thinking it may look good, why anyone would want to turn them off. Beats me.

Bud

Driving with fog lights and DRL both on in fog (or heavy snow) is just wrong! It defeats the whole purpose of having fog lights. Namely, to spread light horizontally, low to the ground, reducing glare to the driver and enhancing the visibility of the surface of the road.

So in such cases, shutting off the DRL is appropriate.

Driving with fog lights and DRL both on in fog (or heavy snow) is just wrong! It defeats the whole purpose of having fog lights. Namely, to spread light horizontally, low to the ground, reducing glare to the driver and enhancing the visibility of the surface of the road.

So in such cases, shutting off the DRL is appropriate.

Yes, that does make sence.

Bud

Another use for those who have smarts, is to use the parking lights instead of the headlights in the daytime.

There is a secondary bulb in our cluster that illuminates separately from the headlight bulb (by switching the control to the middle position.) Folks have complained about headlight bulbs burning out after as early as 12,000 kms (maybe less for some folks!) My drivers side was gone at 14,500 kms. Now, it's not really the cost savings I'm concerned with - I would change it myself. But it means taking your whole set of front panels off. Not an issue for some of us, but something I'd like to minimize.

MB charges $79.00 labour apparently to remove the front panel set to facilitate changing the headlight bulb(s). Not that they should do it for free, of course. But add that to your list of expensive servicing on your *economy* car.

I'm not endorsing people to run with no lights on, be sure of that. Just that there is still an option to use the parking light feature instead, if you so choose. And having said that, I'm sure that bulb burns out as well. (Not sure of it's life expectancy...)

$400 for "factory fog lights" or $29.99 for the aftermarket ones Simon put in his that he bought at Princess Auto. With some clever and careful tooling, you can get a pretty good looking switch mounted so it doesn't have to be a hack job.

I think his looks great!

- Steve

I'll try to dig out my howto install aftermarket fog light from the other site and put it back here

Works well!

The reason I wanted to do it was that I am planning to mount factory fog lights. I would not buy front fogs unless the headlights could be extinguished while the fogs are on, as needed (such as in actual fog or heavy, blinding snow).

So now I need to save some centimes to get me the fog lights....

BTW, my headlights are OK at the moment, but one of my orange slices has burned out. Go figure...

I agree that DRLs are a safety feature, and some sort of bright lights should be on the front at all times.

Reminds me of the tour of the Victoria Legislature - the light bulbs were added around 1900 and lasted 80 years. They were replaced on an as-needed basis with new ones, that last - on average, a few years. This from the tour guide's mouth. Bah, progress!

There's a light bulb burning in a Cal. firehouse that's been running non-stop since 1901. They made them to last.

There's one up in the sky that's been going for a few hundred million years :)

Good point. I'd just turn the lights out and rely on daylight.

I'm not endorsing people to run with no lights on, be sure of that. Just that there is still an option to use the parking light feature instead, if you so choose. And having said that, I'm sure that bulb burns out as well. (Not sure of it's life expectancy...)

I drove a block with just these on, in the daytime, and I'm so unimpressed with the brightness. Heck, it looks like more light is coming from reflected sunlight in the headlight assemblies! So, other than some covert action, I am -- as someone who isn't looking at deviations from stock -- going to let the Canadian DRLs run as normal.

lol. That was NOT my point. DLR, in my opinion, are VERY important safety devices.

I'll just strap a flashlight to the roof. :lookaround:

enthusiast42, you don't need to take the panel off to get to the lights. It's just a way for the dealer to charge you more. A couple of people reported that they just reached in through the vents to access them. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't confirm. Plus my dealer only booked something like .2 or .3 hours to change the bulb. Which is much less than 79 bucks. They are just ripping you off or unaware of a different way to do it.

I still don't get it with the comments everyone has about the DRL and burning them out. There is a fundamental problem here. Bulbs are not supposed to burn out that quickly. I would be interested to start a poll to see if how many people have a brunt out light within one year of ownership. Before DRL were standard, I used to turn my headlights on all the time while driving and they never burnt out that quickly. Maybe it has more to do with locking and unlocking your doors and how they flash on and off for that.

I'm a bit confused with the headlights. When my headlight burnt out on the driver's side, I noticed that the bulb closest to the grill was on and burning dim, about the right brightness for DRL in fact. So what's that all about? Is that a safety feature of the smart when a bulb bruns out that the other bulb comes on at low wattage to help you out?

Words I loved hearing at the dealership today;

"Your bulbs are covered under the 4 Year, 80,000km warranty."

I didn't say anything more, and watched them reach in the access panel and fiddle for 10 minutes to change the bulb. The non-blown bulb will be replaced Monday during my B-Service. He also indicated that the bulbs are a "Mercedes thing". I guess this means that it's a known quirk of mercedes.

:D