Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adrian

How-To: Turn off Daytime Running Lights

117 posts in this topic

In a past life I used to work for BC Tel. We were required as a condition of employment to drive company vehicles with the lights on at all times. This was back in the early 70's. Failure to do so on a continuous basis was cause for termination. They were fairly serious about it...Seat belts were also a requirement long before they became law...

Edited by lebikerboy

There is lots of talk about a switch in the center console...My car's headlight stalk has an icon that looks meant for fog... has lowered light rays with a S line through them, 3rd position on the stalk.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you are so blind that you can't see 1,800 lbs. (816 kg.) of glass, plastic and metal coming at you, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

That said, common sense says that if the weather conditions or time of day warrant it, by all means, turn your lights on. What's so difficult about turning the light stalk switch? :huh:

For those who want to run DRLs but don't wish to burn out their low beams unnessessarily, try this. Utilizing the Canadian turn signal location, go to Canadian Tire or some other automotive supplier and get a pair of LED's with the 1157 base. They fit right in, they are bright enough and they seem to last. Then cut the power wires to the signals so they are no longer signals. Join together the two wires from the lights and run a single wire directly to a power source inside the car that is activated when the key is turned on. This mod. will require activating the Euro signals.

That's the switch for the rear fog lamp on European smarts, and is disabled on Canadian 450s.It does supply +12VDC, but I've looked and there is no way to activate it in software. So, first you'd need tail lamps from a European smart, then you'd need to re-wire from the lamps to the Canadian E-box, and finally wire the switch to control the indicator lamp on the instrument cluster.Because the switch position supplies +12VDC, you could theoretically use it to power front fogs (on a separate circuit than the existing, SAM-controlled fog lamp harness), but keep in mind that then the fogs would come on with the main or dipped beam bulbs. You could wire in a relay to switch off the headlamps, but this is less versatile than using the discrete fog circuit with the switch on the console.

In a past life I used to work for BC Tel. We were required as a condition of employment to drive company vehicles with the lights on at all times.

This was back in the early 70's.

Back in the 70's, most cars, vans and trucks had sealed beam headlights which lasted well and were easily (and inexpensively) replaced if they ever did fail.

Study after study has shown that daytime headlamp use increases safety overall, particularly in higher latitude countries which experience shorter days in winter, with lower sun angles, and long, lingering twilights in summer.

OR! I could use the 12V+ from the Fog position on the stalk to send power through the wiring going through the switch in the center console? That would send the power through the right computer stuff yes?

OR! I could use the 12V+ from the Fog position on the stalk to send power through the wiring going through the switch in the center console? That would send the power through the right computer stuff yes?

That's how I originally wanted to run mine, but the fog lamp circuit that's already there is controlled through the SAM, and uses momentary contact switching with a clamping circuit to feed power to the lamps. Plus, you would need to have a separate switch for discrete control of the headlamps when in the fog lamp position; otherwise, the headlamps will always be on when you use the fog lamps.

Yeah...I wish it were slightly easier, as it almost makes too much sense. To me, if the fogs are on, the headlamps should normally be off. But there are the odd times that I'm running on back roads on moonless nights, when I need both the main (high) beam lamps for distance and the fogs to light the lines at the side of the road as much as possible.

Oh yes, and I thought of why one would want the DRLs off:- To move around at the Drive In without bothering others- To sneek up a dark alley to do something either morally or legally wrong- To hide from the Police after outrunning them (unlikly in a Smart)- To sneek around a dark area looking for a place to park and enjoy a 'chat' with a partnerAnyone got some to add?Yes I thought of the brake lights...that's what the hand brake is for ;)

Just as an aside, the factory fog lights won't work unless you have the lighting switched on (ie the first click on the lighting stalk) not the headlights, just the instrument cluster and the exterior secondary lightsOh. I like that!

Just wanted to mention I have a 2009 Smart Car fortwo Passion Coupe I tried turning off the DRL but instead it decided to deactivate my instrument panel (windshield wipers, rear window defroster, heating seats..) What happened?? Is there a way to turn these back on? I tried to reactivate DRL as mentioned previously but it didn't turn my instrument panel back on!Thanks Edited by vanbabs

This procedure only works on the diesels, sorry!

"That's the switch for the rear fog lamp on European smarts, and is disabled on Canadian 450s.It does supply +12VDC, but I've looked and there is no way to activate it in software. So, first you'd need tail lamps from a European smart, then you'd need to re-wire from the lamps to the Canadian E-box, and finally wire the switch to control the indicator lamp on the instrument cluster."To activate the rear fog light switch (once you have put Euro tail-lights in place), requires that you dis-assemble your instrument cluster and remove the flexible circuit board that was added to allow the dash lights to dim using the switch next to the cabin light switch. Removing that also allows the dash fog light to work. You also need to reconnect the wire that was cut, running from the switch to the rear fog light. That is located under the carpet just in front of the handbrake. They spliced together both backup lamps there. Rear fog light control doesn't go through the SAM at all.