Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

inspect water separator/fuel filter

32 posts in this topic

How? :dunno:

Is there a sight glass or some kind of level indicator?

No sight glass!

FYI : the dealer will want to replace the whole unit, including sensor($275). You can replace filter only($75). Far cheaper!

It is ashame that there is no valve to drain the water. My 190D had such a valve and it was part of an oil change

No sight glass!

FYI : the dealer will want to replace the whole unit, including sensor($275). You can replace filter only($75). Far cheaper!

Is there no way to tell if the separator is part-full or soon to be in need of replacement, or still empty? Even $75 is too much if there's no water in the reservoir...

Think Keith was working on a clear pre-filter - Keith?

Cheers,

Cameron

You can replace filter only($75). Far cheaper!

Do you have the part number?

I'm not running a prefilter, never got around to it... the biodiesel pumps typically have a 2 micron on them already, so I am just going to change my filter every 50,000 kms

MB Kelowna has stated the filter-only option is NO LONGER AVAILABLE! He said they used to have 2 part numbers - ordered together... now it is one part number.

- Steven

Time to talk to FastEddy - I will be over there tomorrow.

Cheers,

Cameron

Eddy still has 'em in stock - at a good price too.

Cheers,

Cameron

I'll have to pick one up in a couple of weeks. What's his address??

I'd say pick me up one too... but I'm getting it done at the dealership tomorrow when they're fixing my airbag so I'm going to "screw the pooch", as they say, on that one simply for convenience sake.

And I'm WAAAYYY over-due. I think it says 32,000k right? I'm at about 48,000k. No problems at all though (that I know of).

- Steven

FLYING TIGER DEVELOPMENT

14431 Westminster Hwy

RICHMOND, B.C.

V6V 1A4

TEL: 604-270-3733

Call first to make sure he is not out getting more Brabus goodies or the like. He has a good selection of other maintenance items as well.

Bit hard to find but he has a sandwich board out front.

Cheers,

Cameron

That would have been nice....

We're going to the Stones' concert on the 25th (assuming that too isn't cancelled) so it's a week later......I mean we're ALL going, all five of us!

We'll be arriving on the evening of the 24th and leaving on the 26th sometime.

Ahh well... catch you next time. That explains the rain though... I didn't realize "lips" was in town.

- Steven

Yeah, I am buying filters in bulk this week - oil/air/fuel... - and getting new belts installed as well. I'll keep the old belts as spares (for long road trips, just in case). I'm at 91,000 kms now. I'm going to wait a bit longer on the shocks... in case I decide to get springs too, and lower the car slightly. (for fuel economy, of course...)I only wish I'd known about the sensors when I changed my first filter... I got a filter with sensors at MB for $85 - but left the entire old filter at eddy's... I was the first one he'd done... I think it all got turfed... would have been a bonus to have spare sensors... just in case...

I know this i super old but i just bought a used smart car and the water separator light only comes on sometimes, does that mean it need to be changed?

If the light comes on at all, best to do a maintenance. Just my opinion.

B :sun:

Agreed. It could be a wiring problem (damp Canada E-Box) but if you get water in the high pressure pump, it will be destroyed more or less right away. Best to do an immediate filter and sensor change.Do any of those other warning lights in the pod with the separator light also glow or turn on too?

I wonder what pressure is in the fuel combo filter? While it's working, I mean, not just at-rest pressure.B :senile: .... wheels turning again ...

I know this i super old but i just bought a used smart car and the water separator light only comes on sometimes, does that mean it need to be changed?

Bwelsh321,Here is a link to a step by step instruction on how to replace the fuel / water separator, it is located in the Articles (beside search).http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?autocom=...ticle&id=23Canman