Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pinhead19

Scanguage II - where to mount it

140 posts in this topic

I have started this topic for people to ‘brag’ about where you have located your Scanguage, or your scangauge II. I have not received mine yet, but I plan on putting it in the front drawer (under the radio) and cutting the face of the drawer to have a flush mount. If someone has a better place or some tips I would be glad to hear them.I hope there are not 100 other places this discussion is located.. If so, feel free to direct me there..

There are two Scanguage discussions going on here and here, but as you say, this one is specific, so why not...

Where to mount it? Above the mirror if you have a solid roof coupe. You can't put it on a cab or sunroof coupe AFAIK. I assume you can put it on a coupe with either the solid roof or glass... Steve needs to confirm.

There is a part you can get from smartieparts that looks decent.

Posted Image

Man the link was hard to find... ;-)

I heard the text was somewhat small, so it might be hard to see at a distance.My friend has his on the steering column in his Chevy Impala, but I don't know how well that would work with our smarts.

The Text on Scanguage II is plenty big enough to see up above the mirror - plus you can adjust the contrast and backlight colour to suit your need/preference.I think this is where I may put mine long term.Another possible good spot for those with no clock or tach is where the clock and tach would go.

I was thinking about where the Clock/Tach go.. but I have the clock and tach.. Even thought about removing the four information lights between the clock tach, but I don't think that will be a good idea either. SenceI don't have it yet, I was also wondering abou to the left of the tach? Would it fit? wound it be readable?

I just finished adding a different plate to the place I mount my XM radio - seems to work - I will get some snaps. It is in a nice sight line - just to the right of the dash - just below the radio - quick glance does the trick.I thought about the drawer thing - might still do that - if you put it on a hinge you could flip it over into the drawer out of sight or the other option is a clip affair. Given the number of break ins around here I try not to tempt any of the druggies.The text is a good size with sharp numbers and good contrast - it should be readable even if you mount it up by the mirror.Cheers,Cameron

There is a part you can get from smartieparts that looks decent.

Posted Image

Man the link was hard to find... ;-)

That might explain why I don't sell many :) For my new version, I'm going to try to group products more logically... but that's still a ways away.

It just occured to me... since you have to route the cable from the OBD and you can't exactly go in a straight line... is 6' long enough to get there?

- Steven

the picture looks to me like the vehicle its in has a sunroof...you can see the sunshade and handle in the closed position...S

Just ran out to take a peek and ran back in for TWO reasons...A) Not dressed to be outside, or in PUBLIC!B) Forgot my keys in here...Nothing like a STIFF breeze to wake you up... ;)But it looks like that pic is for the glass roof. Sunroof models extend about 5 inches back before you see the glass...Eddie

I wonder what that black knoby thing is to the left of the holder? I forgot the glass roof has the covering on it...the holes...S

Steve - if you have one in stock - put my name on it pending verification that we can make it fit (with the 6' cable - it 'should' be just enough.)

When looking at the Scangauge site, it looked to me that the cable is a Cat5 Ethernet cable... or at least it uses RJ45 connectors. It might not be too much of a job to splice some longer cable onto it or use an Ethernet coupler of some sort to extend the cable if 6´ isn't quite enough.

When looking at the Scangauge site, it looked to me that the cable is a Cat5 Ethernet cable... or at least it uses RJ45 connectors. It might not be too much of a job to splice some longer cable onto it or use an Ethernet coupler of some sort to extend the cable if 6´ isn't quite enough.

I'm sure you're right... looks like either an RJ45 or RJ11... in either case, it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if it happens to be wired standard, then an off-the-shelf patch cable would work. But even not, it wouldn't be difficult.

- steven

Not sure if the sunroof is an issue or not... why would it be?

'cause it don't fit cars with a sunroof! The one I got found a happy home in the US. The contour of the headliner is way different in the sunroof cars - gentle persuasion was not an option.What I came up with for the compass/clock was a mount plate under the mirror pedestal - easy to do - http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p?p=68117#68117You can make up what ever sort of bracket you need - simple hunk of aluminum angle should do for the scan gauge. If there is interest I can whip a few generic ones up.Cheers,Cameron

The one end is an RJ45 connector - the other is a standard OBDC connector - an extender should work if it passes all the pairs through (standard ethernet doesn't use them all) and there isn't any interference around (cars tend to be a noisy RF environment).

You will need one of these:

http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail...OUPLER&c=CA

And a patch cable.

Cheers,

Cameron

when I eventually get a SG I was thinking velcro on teh steering wheel shroud between the wheel and dash. It would be visible thru the steering wheel....although it may be too bright there at night?My XM is mounted to the front of my drawer....I would like the SG within easy line of sight...S

Might stick up to much to see the guages - the room in front is pretty limited for sight angles.Cheers,Cameron

but its only an inch high...From my eye level I can see probably 2 inches slant angle of the black part plus some in the gauge area...definitely see the speedo and gear window...its moot anyways for me but might be an idea for someone else....to try at least.S

Well, I got my scangauge today!I mounted it in the front drawer under the radio, for the lack of better place. But first I called for the price of a replacement drawer; $60. Not too bad, and mine is already scratched from having the radio hanging from the cables and rubbing on the face.I started working on this when I got home from work (5pm) and was finished before supper (6:30). Here are some pictures of the process.It doesn't look quite as nice as I was hoping for, but it is pretty clean and very little change to drawer space as the cable is between the outside and the inside of the drawer.

post-1622-1165294727.jpg

post-1-1165294727.jpg

post-1-1165294728_thumb.jpg

post-1-1165294729.jpg

post-1-1165294730_thumb.jpg

Wow. That's dedication! O/T, but the front of the stereo seems so shiny in that pic. I have to go look at mine now.

pinhead19....How did the angle work out? I originally put my MDC computer there, but found the LCD sort of pointed "down" a bit, so was hard to read from sitting normally in the drivers seat. How's the scangauge???Later! Dang

How did the angle work out?

I mounted it so that it would face 'up' just a bit. It is hard to explain the cut out, but it accually holds the gauge very nicly.I included the picture to show the angle of the gauge compared to the angle of the face.

How did the angle work out? How's the scangauge???

So far so good.. but I have only had it for about 15 hours now.. but the things I like most:-pretty easy to set (with menu driven options)-can almost match the backlight colour of the radio (red 3) (green 1) (blue 0) (Light High)I found I had adjust the speed meter to +6% to match my spedometer. Edit - On the advice of smartzuuk I will change my speed calibration to 3% (been verified by GPS.)