Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gent

"Canada's Worst Driver 2"

20 posts in this topic

Hey gang, next week, in this season's final episode of "Canada's Worst Driver", they are putting the remaining three candidates to test in the streets of Montreal behind the wheel of a smart ForTwo!

Discovery Channel

Poor little smart! Watched the Da Vinci code last night - I have a feeling that the results of the show will be similar but quicker.Cheers,Cameron

Hey when is that program on - what station, what day, and what time. Would be interesting to watch.Elaine

Hey gang, next week, in this season's final episode of "Canada's Worst Driver", they are putting the remaining three candidates to test in the streets of Montreal behind the wheel of a smart ForTwo!Discovery Channel

I saw that last night as well, but I think this season the final is going to be held in Toronto. (Last season was Montreal.) I think they should first do the test in an Hummer H2 and then do the test again in a fortwo and see what car they like better for driving around Toronto in. :cheeky:

Hey when is that program on - what station, what day, and what time. Would be interesting to watch.Elaine

It is on Monday nights on the Canadian Discovery Channel. Click here for times.

Coulda sworn he said Montreal again last night. I always thought Montreal was a bit of a challenge anyway. The street lights aren't located in the same spot as in the rest of Canada, you aren't allowed to turn right on a red, and the drivers are remarkably aggressive (at least towards people driving with BC plates).

Canada Worst Drivers in Montreal should be a blast. I learned to drive in the Montreal area (small town about 40km west, with frequent trips into the city). After 27 years of dealing with Alberta drivers, I thought of a better driving test than they currently have: drop the car and driver in the middle of Montreal Island, with instructions to get off the island. The survivors get their licenses :-)MG

When we first came to Montreal we used a little guide book from Berlitz. It describe the Montrealers as driving "with gallic panache". Of course I didn't think about it until the first night at the Dorval circle when some clown drove into my new bosses car as he took us to dinner. Panache rimes with Crash! Montreal drivers have got no better in the subsequent 25 years. They are still some of the worst, most arrogant and thoughtless drivers I have ever seen anywhere. Oh dear I'm now a Montrealler!! :blush:

Actually, you're allowd to turn right on red in all of quebec. The only exception is on the Island where its posted with signs...

They are still some of the worst, most arrogant and thoughtless drivers I have ever seen anywhere.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE :watching: the driving that goes on in Montreal. It is hilarious!!

Of course whenever I'm there it's to ride the metro or Goliath at La Ronde, so I'm doing very little driving myself. :)

-Iain

Actually, you're allowd to turn right on red in all of quebec. The only exception is on the Island where its posted with signs...

I think it was different when I was there several years ago. I do remember that there was debate about it since it forced cars to idle and wasn't a "Green" concept.

I think it was different when I was there several years ago. I do remember that there was debate about it since it forced cars to idle and wasn't a "Green" concept.
Gotta agree about the crazy Montreal traffic. I went to McGill and , as a pedestrian, I was always grateful that cars couldn't turn on the red...it gave us a chance to cross the street a little bit more safely...garth

It's been on once tonight already, with a repeat due at 10 PM. My wife watched it. Apparently they chose the smart car for it's maneuverability and it's safety rating (yay). It's channel 42 in Vancouver.

I saw that last night as well, but I think this season the final is going to be held in Toronto. (Last season was Montreal.) :cheeky:

Mea Culpa - It was Toronto. Holy doodle those were some bad drivers. I was in mortal fear for the car.

I saw that last night as well, but I think this season the final is going to be held in Toronto. (Last season was Montreal.) :cheeky:

Mea Culpa - It was Toronto. Holy doodle those were some bad drivers. I was in mortal fear for the car.
I think the host was in mortal fear for his life :-) We watched it, but were really hoping they didn't do anything nasty to the smarts; like merging into an occupied space. I wonder how much practice they had in the cars before hitting traffic.So, are those U-Turn lanes/lights unique to Toronto, or is it an Ontario thing. I don't think I have ever seen them before.MG

You can do u-turns in a left turn lane at every other intersection in Richmond - it's freaky.Did you see how the sweat was soaking through the host's shirt when he was riding with Henrietta? It made me laugh.

I watched most of the series from the beginning, and it's amazing the people that are out there. One guy actually got kicked out because he was terrible and showed no interest in improving, they cut his keys in half.But some of the things they had to do would be hard for anyone, like parallel parking a Winnibago or driving a stick for the first time and having to do it through a difficult course while being timed (and in some cases being yelled at as well!)As for last night's show, the car came through it pretty well, compared to ones from previous weeks. The only really hairy time was when Michael decided to change lanes without looking. Driving in an unfamiliar area is never easy, when they would just say 'Left at such-and-sucj.' If you're new, you don't know where such-and-such is and it can be hard to read the signs.For those who didn't watch the whole series, Henrietta (the winner, or would that be loser...) was the one who regularly broke down in tears (like she did last night,) got fuming mad, and refused to wear glasses while driving even though she couldn't see a thing.

The portion leading up to driving the smart in Toronto traffic was questionable. Driving a great big Chrysler frontwards and backwards through a path barely wide enough for the car would confound most drivers, especially if they were used to smaller vehicles. As far as backing a truck towing a trailer, only experience will make that look easy. Pressure of time limits, live observers, and the knowledge that it was being filmed, guaranteed poor performance.The question I would like answered is: how could people who are so incompetent be outed on national television and still retain their driver's license? What does it take to remove hazardous drivers from the road?

I can back up a trailer into a fairly tight spot, but I have lots of practice and it does take me a couple of tries. Driving that big boat thru the obstacle course looks like it would be a blast (as long as its someone else's big boat :-) But driving an unfamiliar car thru really tight spaces would be difficult for a lot of people, especially if you don't drive very many different vehicles on a regular basis.The show is for entertainment. Most of the stuff happens off road and/or on private property where just about anything goes. Worst case might be if the courts subpoenaed the videos, and hit the drivers for all those moving violations during the drive thru Toronto.MG