Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

List of US smart model 450 (G&K conversion) Dealerships

61 posts in this topic

I don't think we have an answer to Harleyduo's question yet. They are now taking a $99 deposit for "insiders." In two weeks they open up this $99 stuff for the entire population. I think, from the deposits they get, Penske group will have a good idea about where some of these dealerships should be located. They are and will be tight lipped about it until this Summer when the dealerships will be announced. I quote "During the second half of 2007, the dealer assigned to your area will contact you directly to formalize your order and vehicle options, work out the details of your purchase agreement and arrange for delivery. Your $99 will them be applied to the purchase of your fortwo." I'm sure if someone is driving down the street and suddenly they see a building with a SMART sign going up - well maybe they will have a leg up. But really and truely I think we just have to wait for the official announcements. I suppose some dealership may let it be known before the official announcement but what the hell - that's only a few months away anyway. Cmdr Cody

Dealers will be announced long before any signs go up. Expect that the first you hear will be the official announcement. They will want the most publicity out of it, and doing it in one big announcement will be important to that end. I seriously doubt any dealership who gets a franchise will want to incur Roger Penske's wrath by leaking the news early.

I've been eager to learn where my closest Smart dealership might be located. I've even started contacting nearby Mercedes dealers to see if they were CONSIDERING becoming a dealer for the wonderful little car. Unfortunately, the dealerships that I thought would really have the best shot at moving lots of the cars, have all said that they had reached the decision NOT to make the investment. I think it's part of the 'snub' approach that I have read many Canadians comment on about Mercedes dealerships and the little car. Hopefully, some owner of another product line in the region will want to jump on Penske's bandwagon. I think it's sad that those within the Daimler family can't see the value of what they have. I'm still glad I have my deposit down. I certainly don't want to do business with a company that doesn't WANT to sell the product.

I think it's sad that those within the Daimler family can't see the value of what they have. I'm still glad I have my deposit down. I certainly don't want to do business with a company that doesn't WANT to sell the product.

MBUSA has a smaller range of Mercedes-Benz models than MBCanada. MBUSA perpetuates the myth of MB as strictly luxury and exclusivity. That gives them a high profit margin and keeps their customers smugly satisfied. What value could the smart brand bring to a dealership that doesn't sell a vehicle for less than $35,000? smart is a criticism of status.

What value could the smart brand bring to a dealership that doesn't sell a vehicle for less than $35,000? smart is a criticism of status.

Spinner, it's funny you mention the "status" criticism. I work in midtown Manhattan and next door to our law firm is a Mercedes dealership right on Park Ave and across the street is a Ferrari/Masserati dealership. They have such high end cars on their show room floors that the snobs of Park Ave wouldn't even dare consider this more valuable and global friendly car. With all the talk about which dealerships will be carrying the new Smarts, I looked in the Mercedes window one morning this week and said to myself..."Not this location!" Despite the parking issues and all, they just wouldn't get it!! Their loss for sure! Anyway, I wouldn't buy a Smart in NYC because too many things are overpriced. In this one instance, thank God for Jersey. Regina :biglaugh:

It is good thing that the snob dealers don't want the car. In Canada, some who didn't want it were TOLD they WOULD take it, with poor service and lousy sales being the result. That is not part of Penske's plan. I wish a similar purge would take place in Canada.

That is a pretty impressive stock; more than many Canadian smart dealers have!!

Ya Mike, I’m so happy to be driving by this nice stock of Smarties every day. I live a stones throw away from Johh Paul’s so I get to enjoy the view whenever I want.

I’ve waited years to even see a Smart Car in my neighborhood and now we have more than what we know what to do with… what a problem, hey! Posted Image

Sorry, not any more :sniffle: ... there was one recently (Blue/Silver) but it sold quickly. They seem to be few and far between. AFAIK John Paul only received 2 Cabrio's out of all the cars they've gotten in so far. I don't know if any more are still coming either. BTW If anyone might want more pics or further info on a particular car/color let me know and I'll try to help out. FYI I don't work for John Paul so don't feel like I'm trying to sell you anything. I'm just a Smart owner myself who likes to share and help others... if I can.

I know that in Canada, smarts are mostly distributed by Mercedes Benz dealerships. However in the US, Penske's United Auto Group will be distributing them. According tho their website, UAG only has 7 MB dealerships yet will be distributing at 50 dealerships around the country.I'm assuming that much of middle America will be smartless since the focus will be on heavily populated areas, however I'm within driving distance of several UAG Toyota, Scion, and Mazda dealerships here in Florida (in Orlando, Kissimmee, and a few hours away in West Palm) UAG has a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealership fairly close by as well, but that one is in the middle of "Bubbaville FL", and the fortwo could easily drive under most of the trucks in that county. Not exactly the target audience!Hopefully they won't see smart as competition with their other nearby brands so I won't have to drive to another state to get my car.

In Canada, ONLY Mercedes-Benz dealers sell smart.I would wager that Florida will have one or two dealers. UAG has saaid that the appointed smart franchises will not necessarily be part of the UAG dealer network. They want the best of the best, whether UAG or not.....

What value could the smart brand bring to a dealership that doesn't sell a vehicle for less than $35,000? smart is a criticism of status.

Amen now I realise my attraction for the smart; it is the anti-status - status car. :yahoo:

It seems that there will be significantly more than 50 US smart dealers for 2008, perhaps 40+% more than that! This is all good news, in keeping with the excellent reception of the car so far.

Hi Everyone,I called the following dealership to see if they had any smarts which they do. But I was more than happy to confirm that they have been approved for a smart franchise!! The salesperson who is smart savvy is Aldo. Their sales manager said he would call me around 2pm EST. Since they are less than 1.2 hrs from my home, I plan to drive there sometime during my birthday weekend to check out and drive the current year smarties. YIPPEE!!! :yahoo: ReginaColonial Buick/GMC TruckContact: George Miller620 Little Gap RdPalmerton, PA 18071Tel: (610) 826-2771Fax: (610) 826-2780P.S. I think we should start a forum which lists all the US dealerships!! I know eventually they'll probably be on the smartusa.com website but I thought it would be a nice touch under the US forum.

I think, rrucke, that you are right where you're speaking of - If you go to page 1 of this forum you'll see that MKT (aka Bob) started this thread specifically to name the US dealerships. Unless I missed something here....Cmdr Cody.Deep in the Carolinas

Moderator, if this article has been posted, I apologize and please delete. If not, I thought everyone would be interested in knowing the volume of insiders who have reserved smarts according to UAG including the other information provided in this article. Thanks, Regina

smart USA Launches $99 Vehicle Reservation Program

Consumers Can Reserve a smart fortwo Before They Go On Sale in 2008

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 2, 2007--smart USA, a subsidiary of United Auto Group, Inc, (NYSE:UAG), has launched its smart fortwo reservation system. The smart fortwo is expected to go on sale in the United States in the first quarter 2008 through a dealership network being developed by smart USA, the exclusive distributor of the smart fortwo in the United States and Puerto Rico.

Consumers interested in owning a smart fortwo can take the first step in the ownership process by reserving a production model, including trim level and color preferences, for $99.00. Those interested in reserving a smart fortwo should visit the smart USA home page at www.smartusa.com and click on the reservation link.

"We are encouraged by the overwhelming, positive response to smart," said Roger Penske, smart USA Chairman. "To date, our website has received more than 800,000 unique visitors, and over 46,000 people have registered on the website as smart 'insiders'. The reservation system is a way for us to respond to consumer interest while we establish our dealership network."

The reservation process is easy - prospective buyers may select the model and color of the smart fortwo they want to reserve - either the entry-level pure starting under $12,000(a), the well-equipped passion coupe starting under $14,000(a), or the passion cabriolet, starting under $17,000. ((a) These expected starting prices exclude tax, license, registration, destination charge and options.) Additional details on all trim levels and colors are available on the smart USA website. To complete the reservation process, consumers simply submit their secure, online credit card payment of $99. Reservation holders will then receive an official confirmation certificate by email and their $99 reservation will be applied to the purchase of the fortwo.

"The smart fortwo is coming to the United States at the right time," said Dave Schembri, President, smart USA. "The smart fortwo is the answer to many urban issues facing our major cities today; it is economical, ecologically friendly, functional and is simply a fun car to drive."

Later this year, smart USA will launch a 44-city road show tour where interested consumers will have the chance to drive the vehicle at various events across the country. The road show has been designed to showcase the many features of the car including its sophisticated safety management system, its functionality and driving performance. The complete road show schedule will be posted on www.smartusa.com this spring.

ABOUT smart and smart USA

The smart fortwo is manufactured by the Mercedes Car Group and is a member of the DaimlerChrysler family. smart is currently sold in 36 countries, and over 770,000 smart fortwos have been sold since 1998. This technologically advanced vehicle has been designed to achieve 40 plus miles per gallon under normal driving conditions. The vehicle is 8.8 feet long, 5.1 feet tall, 5.1 feet wide, and comes equipped with many functional and safety features reserved for most luxury models. The smart dealer network will be announced during the second half of 2007.

smartUSA, headquartered in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is the exclusive distributor of the smart fortwo in the United States and Puerto Rico and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Auto Group, Inc.

ABOUT UNITED AUTO GROUP, Inc.

United Auto Group, Inc., headquartered in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, operates 310 retail automotive franchises, representing 41 different brands, and 26 collision repair centers. UnitedAuto, which sells new and previously owned vehicles, finance and insurance products and replacement parts, and offers maintenance and repair services on all brands it represents, has 165 franchises in 19 states and Puerto Rico and 145 franchises located outside the United States, primarily in the United Kingdom. UnitedAuto is a member of the Fortune 500 and Russell 1000 and has nearly 16,000 employees.

Statements in this press release may involve forward-looking statements. Actual results may vary materially because of risks and uncertainties, including production delays, delays in developing a dealership network and external factors such as interest rate fluctuations, changes in consumer spending and other factors over which management has no control. These forward-looking statements should be evaluated together with additional information about UnitedAuto's business, markets, conditions and other uncertainties that could affect UnitedAuto's future performance, which are contained in UnitedAuto's Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2006, and its other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and which are incorporated into this press release by reference. This press release speaks only as of its date, and UnitedAuto disclaims any duty to update the information herein.

For additional information visit - www.smartusa.com or www.unitedauto.com

Ken Kettenbeil, Director, Communications, 248-648-2582

kkettenbeil@smartusa.com

or

For UnitedAuto Group

Anthony R. Pordon, Senior Vice President, 248-648-2540

tpordon@unitedauto.com

SOURCE: United Auto Group, Inc.

Ok, I just spoke with Aldo over at Colonial Buick in PA. He said they have (10) 2005 coupes for sale with a listed price of $29,000 but on Ebay he has them listed for $27,500. :wtf: I actually thought I misheard him but he confirmed the price and year during our conversation. Anyway, he pretty much bashed MB and Penske saying they have been claiming for 3 years that they were going to bring the smart to the US. :handtalk: He also said his Zap dealership has no intentions of pursuing a franchise for the 2008 smarts. However, he said they plan to pursue some type of vehicle called the "Zebra". Does anyone have a pix of this vehicle as I am curious as to what he thinks will out sell my smartie? Oh well, I'm probably still going to make the drive just so I can test drive a smart or two and to get a look at this yahoo. He was pretty negative but I am not detered and I believe the smart will come to the US. [build it & they will come] With 48,000 reserved, we gotta get this car especially with 800,000 visiting the smartUSA website already. It will happen!Regina

With 48,000 reserved, we gotta get this car especially with 800,000 visiting the smartUSA website already. It will happen!

48,000 Insiders, not 48,000 reserved. They haven't released those numbers yet. I really hope it's not that high because that means longer waiting lists! (I'm selfish like that...)The Zap people have been upset about the UAG thing for ages. If I recall correctly, there was even a lawsuit. The reason that his dealership isn't persuing a franchise is because they'd lose their import markup! I was super excited when Zap started selling smarts, and then I saw their prices. My income doesn't allow me to spend 10,000 bucks over MSRP for import costs.

Anyway, he pretty much bashed MB and Penske saying they have been claiming for 3 years that they were going to bring the smart to the US. :handtalk: He also said his Zap dealership has no intentions of pursuing a franchise for the 2008 smarts.

Good, because bottom-feeders aren't going to get one ;)Seriously, those smart 451 grapes are just SO sour, Aldo doesn''t know diddly-squat about how serious UAG is, and what a fine job they'll do.

Regina, the ZAP dealers have a lot of hard feelings toward UAG. They stood to make alot of money selling smarts with big mark-ups. I saved several thousand dollars buying directly from G&K. Remember there is a new Passion at a non-ZAP dealer here in Port Angeles for $24,000.When you take your test drive play with the shifter trying to sfift smoothly. Check out the post by getmoresoon on Mar 25 in buyers guide. Try to get a good feel for the car, it is a unique feel not at all like your current car. Remember this is a gasoline car. When you go on the Niagra tour your rental will be a diesel. It will be very interesting to see your impressions of each car and your comparison of the gas to the diesel. Take lots of mental notes for us. :thanx: