Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

List of US smart model 450 (G&K conversion) Dealerships

61 posts in this topic

Mike/Smartie Yank,Thanks for confirming my thoughts about Zap. For me, they are only worth the test drive of the current US smarts. I'll definitely be taking more than just mental notes because I will be keeping a little smart journal for future reference. I guess it really sucks being a bottom feeder. Oh well, it's their lost and my gain with UAG. I feel very confident the smarts will be delivered.Say, do either of you know or have a pix of the "zebra" he was referring to?Thanks,Regina

Greetings:The Zebra will not be engineered by Mercedes-Benz. Sounds like something Malcolm Bricklin would get involved with. It may "fit" under "Bubba" trucks (I don't think our smarts will - the seat that I sit in is higher than the seat in my Cadillac CTS). The steel tridon is a bonus.People who think smarts have no anti-bubba protection have not driven a smart and probably learn by looking at the pictures. Strangely, I think the same type of people were hired to market and distribute the smart when it arrived in Canada and here's hoping that Penske's empire will do better.Ian

Mike/Smartie Yank,Say, do either of you know or have a pix of the "zebra" he was referring to?

The Xebra (not zebra) is a three-wheeled electric vehicle sold by ZAP. Their website is at www.zapworld.com which shows pictures of it.Tom

Stretchdog take note. Soooon the underdogs will be the overdogs. Once we all take delivery that will prove that "only the strong survive."waiting since 2002 when i drove one in Kronberg, GermanyCmdr. Cody

www.zapworld.com[/url] which shows pictures of it. Tom

Tom, the Xebra is UGLy and not at all practical because I thought I saw only 3 wheels. I think they should be :banned: Thanks for showing me the link.Regina

I can't blame the ZAP "dealers" being upset and rather negative. They plunked down quite a bit of change to get that franchise. They were all banking on having more than a couple years to recoup their expenses. There was a ridiculous amount of changes that EPA and DOT required. I couldn't even get an importer in Minnesota or nearby states to talk to me when I tried to get one here from Germany or even Canada - prior to G&K getting approval. It was a crap-shot for all of them and DC cut them off at the knees.Anyway, I've been reading about all the rallies being planned by the Canadians (mostly) to the east & west. I really want to join them but can't make my scheudle work. When the Toronto group goes to Vermont I have meetings near Philadelphia - will be driving my gray there, then down to D.C. to see a new grandaughter. I have heard there is a 2nd smart in Minnesota - a red&black in Minneapolis. I'm curious if it might have come from Wisconsin (sure would have been closer than Green Car in Kirkland, Washington)That's enough off track stuff - will finish with a pic of my new wheels from Haral at parts4smarts.

post-813-1177035641.jpg

I know that in Canada, smarts are mostly distributed by Mercedes Benz dealerships. However in the US, Penske's United Auto Group will be distributing them. According tho their website, UAG only has 7 MB dealerships yet will be distributing at 50 dealerships around the country.I'm assuming that much of middle America will be smartless since the focus will be on heavily populated areas, however I'm within driving distance of several UAG Toyota, Scion, and Mazda dealerships here in Florida (in Orlando, Kissimmee, and a few hours away in West Palm) UAG has a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealership fairly close by as well, but that one is in the middle of "Bubbaville FL", and the fortwo could easily drive under most of the trucks in that county. Not exactly the target audience!Hopefully they won't see smart as competition with their other nearby brands so I won't have to drive to another state to get my car.

Not much to add other than HI FROM WINDERMERE! :doublethumb: I am almost certain that we'll get a dealer here, as I recall hearing that if you have a major sports team, you'll probably get a dealer. Last I checked, we an NBA team (that finally made the playoffs!!!)Worst case, there should be one in Tampa, which is where some of the random exotics in Orlando come from (Lotus, Saleen, etc)

Has anyone else driven both the G&K conversion and the Euopean Smart on the road tour? I drove both when I didn't think I could wait until Jan. and I thought the Conversion Smart drove jerky, uncomfortable ukk :sorry: But the Smart on the road tour drove beautifully. Anyone have a different experience?

The 451's shifting is improved compared to the 450. The 450 can be driven very smoothly it just takes a little time getting familiar with the car whereas the 451 doesn't require the learning curve.