Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie Eddie Eddie

Farenheight temperature, and no 5.0L countdown on LCD...

43 posts in this topic

Hmm...

In this thread I mentioned how I ran the battery down trying to start my car so many times with no success in the cold...

And when the juice got soooo low, relays clicked on and off and my temperature flipped over to Farenheight... Still not sure how this unit works... I don't UNDERSTAND -13F... It seems like it should not be cold... But I was FREEZING my... Stuff off...

And today... As I started to run low on fuel... My 5.0L countdown never kicked in... I flipped thru the lcd display and still could NOT find it...

I only knew it was close because the fuel gauge symbol was flashing...

And I knew I was down to the 3.0L mark because the FINAL blob disappeared...

I let my dealership know bout the temperature thing and am awaiting a response because that is a new one for them... And now I'll update them with my fuel display...

This is a little of a concern to me because I make a LOT of long distance trips where I rely on that final 5.0L countdown to time my fuel/pit stops...

That and I don't KNOW how to fillup a non-empty fuel tank... :P

Is there a keypress sequence (like DRL disabling) that reverts my car to the way it was?

Is it possible I may have changed the MAP from the Canadian setting (to combat 'high sulphur' fuel) to the leaner EU setting?

Eddie

wow, i wish i could get mine to read farenheit....i don't do well with centigrade...since 32 is freezing in farenheit, zero is really cold!!! and below zero is really reallly cold......does that help?

Geez man - that's bizzaire! I've disconnected my battery a couple of times (sometimes for a while) like when I threw in my amp, but my display still reads in ºC... I know Jim (Smartboy's) car for whatever reason reads in Farenheit (he hadn't really noticed until I pointed it out!), but the missing fuel reserve warning is odd. I wonder if... like, the reserve warning, has to be "activated" and your car went back to absolute bare-bones mode or something?You drive a passion, right? If so, does your "drive lock" function still work? How about the speed-variable wipers? If none of those things work, maybe the computer reset and all those lil' upgrades that they turn on have to be enabled.-Iain

Would the discconnect the battery for 30 + minutes reset help here? The low battery voltage and the pulsing voltage while you were trying to start may have issued some really unusual codes. Do you have the stock radio, does it still work, and if you have the upgraded sound, does it still work?MG

I think this is going to be up to the dealer. Maybe a full ECU reflash and maybe resetting a few TAN codes to restore some optional settings like the F/C. Good questions from Valgard~ who knows what else you lost - a/c, etc.? It's unlikely you've got the EU fuel coding because I think that is over-written in our map; but that WOULD be interesting...Good luck with the restoration! Keep your... stuff warm ;)B:sun:

I seem to have the a/c light kick in...For obvious reasons, cannot tell if it is kicking in or not...But the heated seats and tach are working properly... Which are dealership activated funtions I believe...Didn't even notice bout the drivelock, though a key sequence should fix that...Hopefully I can get an answer from the dealership tomorrow...I hope it's something I can get done before work. (0730 on Mondays, 0830 every other day) and that I don't have to leave the car behind...$130 cab ride ROUND trip to airport and back from dealership...Eddie

$130 cab ride ROUND trip to airport and back from dealership...Eddie

Just Fed Ex yourself!

I guess I COULD FedEx myself...

I'd only be a half an hour late, the NEXT day...

First Overnight is guaranteed by 9am the next business day!

And it's not THAT cold in those monsterously huge freight cans...

I'll give it a shot, AND I get a discount!

Eddie

Plug into a Star computer at the dealership - or I think this is what FastEddy just bought - and the C/F toggle should be simple.Ask FastEddy - he'll know! ;)

Will get an update by end of day (Monday)...So far tach, heated seats, and drivelock are working...Because of temperatures... Cannot test for air conditioning, though the impulse switch does light up...Eddie

My temp went *F a couple months after I got the car...I'd taken it in as the water separator warning was on, and in turn they had to rip out and redo all the interior wiring (the car had been running fine). Anyways...once I got the car back it was *F and no 5L fuel countdown...took it in and in a few minutes they had it fixed...it isn't something you can fix yourself, which I found dumb...

Had the same problem after disconnecting battery when doing my Ipod installation. You need a ECU reflash done at your nearest SC, nothing else will cure that.

So my service advisor phoned me today...He said he plugged the Star Computer into his car and tried to recreate what I had going on with my smart...He managed to flip over his personal vehicle into *F, and lose the 5.0L countdown...Also the odometer flipped over to miles, and the speedo needle isn't reading right as it's moving for miles as well...He managed to get it to flip back...He has no guarantees, but thinks it's a 2 minute reset.Tomorrow I will hit my dealership 1st thing in the morning, try to get my temperature/5.0L countdown back...And then boot it to the airport for work!If it DOES work, my car will no longer be grounded to city use only...ROAD TRIP!!!Eddie

the speedo needle isn't reading right as it's moving for miles as well...

You should leave it like that, you'll go faster. ;)-Iain

Yeah that was on Scott's car, my service advisor...But all is well on my car again...In a matter of minutes it was reset to CELSIUS!!!Now I understand that it is cold out... Not taking guesses at what -12F means...My car's city, and daytime highway travel restriction has onoce again been lifted...I now go, where the wind blows!Eddie

F -> C is quite easy if you're not too interested in fractional accuracy.Read value in F, subtract 32, divide result by 2 and round up and you are back in Celsius-land again.So -12 F would be approx -22 C which is quite cold. (brrr)

Dealership has given back the car to me TWICE now with the degrees F and no 5l countdown. I knew right away that it was caused by them messing around with the computer. I dont' know how they do it and how they constantly change it just about every time I come in. It's to the point where I specifically ask them to double check it before they give me back the car. Unfortunately this can only be changed by the dealership or with someone who has the Star computer. No quick fix if you are not at the dealership. I posted something about this a while back on the forum.

I had this happen to me the last time I had my car in. They performed the battery well modification for draining, and as such they disconnected the battery. When I got the car back it had F showing, and no 5L warning.It took them about a half hour to fix it. I was told that they ended up rebuilding the software for the instrument cluster. He also mentioned that if I didn't have A/C, they wouldn't have been able to do it.I didn't have time to ask questions, but that's the feedback I had.It's all good now, but I'll be nervous about disconnecting the battery in the future.

Why the heck would it default to Fahrenheit rather than Celsius??? The car is built in France!

Jerry Lewis is considered a genius in France (Weird Al Yankovic wrote a song about that) so maybe this is another of their Americophile tendencies ;)

not had the degree fahrenheit problem but the fuel countdown stopped working a while ago and despite several attempts by the dealer they could not fix it. Not a big problem but annoying...

Can the dealer fix a remapped Smart? I have the remap that FastEddy did...the 65HP one. The car reads degrees F but still shows KMs...wierd stuff.2005 Smart Fortwo CDI.

Depends on what they have to do - they applied a patch to my car for the transmission etc. and no issues but they clobbered it when they did an injector fix (basically reinstalled what they had thought should be the software state of the car). Ask them first what they are going to do - typically the don't always have to reload everything - just the settings for the area that has gone astray.Cheers,Cameron

Depends on what they have to do - they applied a patch to my car for the transmission etc. and no issues but they clobbered it when they did an injector fix (basically reinstalled what they had thought should be the software state of the car). Ask them first what they are going to do - typically the don't always have to reload everything - just the settings for the area that has gone astray.Cheers,Cameron

Thanks for the info Cameron! I am just gonna leave it alone...I don't care tht much if the car reads F or C...I do however love the 65HP Remap from Fast Eddy...so I won't risk a dealer ruining that. The car runs great so no worries....just wanted to get some opinions. :)