Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest dear_ophiuchus

the Japanese SMART wannabe - Mitsubishi "i"

28 posts in this topic

SCREAM! Those commercials are hilarious! Gawd I love Japan. They just manage to work Hello Kitty into anything. :)The i is such a neat car.-Iain

Hmmmm! I like it.I know there testing them in California for US sales. I wonder if Transport Canada is testing them also?

Well, they are making the new smart engines, so while they're at it why not make their own version of what they thought a forfour should look like?

I just love this car. I'm not sure why, but I do. Perhaps for the same reason I love my Fortwo - it just looks so different. Cute or ugly really doesn't make a difference to me.

Yeah, exactly! In a world where virtually every single car out there has the exact same basic shape, it's great companies like smart and Mitsubishi have the guts to make something completly different, and futuristic, to boot! The i looks like something from 100 years in the future.-Iain

To me, it looks like what a long wheelbase fortwo, or what a fortwo limo would look like.. lol

Don't these have the EXACT SAME engine as the new fortwo? I thought I saw an article that said that...?~SM

I. Am. In. Shock!

Last night on my way into Toronto, at the 401/407 ETR interchange, I was watching traffic in the oncoming lanes...

AND THERE ONE WAS. A Mitsu i.

HOW. HOW!!! I have no idea if someone owned it or it was being tested or what. But I will say this:

IT IS GORGEOUS!

If they bring it to Canada... I would seriously consider that as my next car...

-Iain

they look cool! I love that colour too. And since I can no longer get a Forfour this may be the answer! IF and when they ever officially bring it to Canada!S

Looks really cool. I wish I could see more on the safety and miliage. Would like to be able to compare. The interior looks roomy even.Need to find a site in english once they have it set up.

UGGH, the TR is ugly to begin with, but that is TOO MUCH!

Saw one of these in Toronto in the Yonge & Bloor area just an hour ago. It was white.

I claim no responsibility for misprints or errors. Here are some pages from the above first link under the PERFORMANCE, SAFETY, GRADE/PRICE

PERFORMANCE

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

MIVEC DOHC 12バルブ エンジン

Actualizing light weight high rigidity with aluminum cylinder block. The DOHC12 valve, MIVEC (continual variable valve timing), you adopt the electronic control throttle and power are low compatibility fuel economy. In addition, 45 degrees being able to tilt in the rear, it loads the engine and actualizing center of gravity conversion low. Handling and travelling stability, riding comfort it improved.

●Max.Power: 38kW (52PS) /7000rpm

●Max.Torque: 57N m (5.8kg m) /4000rpm

MIVEC DOHC 12バルブ インタークーラーターボエンジン

Aluminum cylinder block, the DOHC12 valve and MIVEC (continual variable valve timing) etc it grips in adoption, it loads the intercooler turbo of the small size light weight which seriously considered the low-speed response, high power is low compatibility fuel economy. Fully you obtained also handiness due to the low-speed torque which is done.

●Max.Power: 47kW (64PS) /6000rpm

●Max.Torque: 94N m (9.6kg m) /3000rpm

MIVEC=Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system is general term of the variable valve timing mechanism attaching engine of the Mitsubishi automobile.

SAFETY

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

- With crusher bull zone of long front impact of front collision absorption dispersion

It utilizes the merit of “rear midship layout,” the front side member and the trapezoid deck cross member who are ideal shocking absorption structure on the front, arranging the parallel crosses frame. At the time of front collision by the fact that it is crooked efficiently, securely it absorbs & disperses the impact when colliding.

- At the time of rear collision the engine and the floor which catch impact

The engine and the floor the rear becoming the wall, impact from the rear is caught, the existence space of the rear cockpit crew-member is guaranteed.

- The large section straight frame and the cross member who disperse the impact from the side

The large section straight frame and the cross member who connects left and right disperse and absorb the impact from the side.

i (アイ) は衝突安全性能総合評価で、5スター[★★★★★]を獲得

i (the eye), JNCAP 2006 (Japan New Car Assessment PROGRAM) * with five stars with the collision safe efficiency over-all judgment both the driver's seat suicide seat acquiring. That the safe efficiency which is superior was proven.

As for *JNCAP Freedom of Information Act business of automobile safe efficiency of national traffic ministry. Sale quantity superior model is selected, the test result is released with Web and the booklet.

Besides the fact that the space was guaranteed under the bonnet, shocking absorption structure was adopted for the wiper pivot section.

The engine in the rear, the tire was put on the four corners, decreasing the load movement at the time of adding deceleration with the ideal weight distribution of “rear midship layout”. At the time of especially deceleration the deceleration which is stabilized with flat nose-dive is not felt by the fact that it brakes efficiently with 4 wheels is actualized. Of course ABS (EBD: The electronic control damping force distribution device) you have adopted to attach.

Washer installation to arm. By the fact that it wipes off immediately after the spraying, it does not block sight and safety improves.

GRADE/PRICE

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/i/lineup/index.html

S mvtec 1,050,000-1,176,000yen

L mvtec 1,155,00-1,281,000yen

LX mvtec 1,260,000-1,386,000yen

M mvtec turbo 1,386,000-1,512,000yen

G mvtec turbo 1,491,000-1,617,000yen

Casual Edition 1,060,500-1,186,500yen

1st Anniversary Edition 1,199,100-1,325,100yen

If you want to convert those currencies this LINK may be of interest but I don't know if the exchange rate is accurate or not.

I saw the white Mitsubishi I Car in Durham today, exiting the Westbound 401 at Simcoe/Ritson. Wow did it ever stand out on the road.Cool looking in person. Looks like one of the wooden massager cars you roll up and down your mate's back.

That i really does look like an extended smart-- of course we all like it :wink: If it's as appealing as its looks, it'll really fill a niche well for people who would like a smart but for one reason or another need four seats (e.g. the friend of mine with the newborn who had to reluctantly buy a jetta tdi since you can't put babies' car seats in front passenger seats).And, if people are seeing them around T.O., that must mean that transport canada is testing them out! P.s. that hot-pink hello kitty testarossa was... disturbing.

I'm so glad someone else saw one; I saw one in February and almost crapped my pants! I wonder if you saw the same one I saw Matt? The one I saw was white, too.-Iain

Fantastic, I love the i! They can't build them in Japan fast enough, the demand is so strong. That's why they've held off launching in other countries.-Iain