Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ilovemysmartfortwo

How do I get the smart radio out of "safe mode"?

19 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed here before, but I couldn't find the answer to my question. I entered my code into the radio, then hit the "CD" button on the radio. Still, nothing happens. After I press "CD", the word "SAFE" just appears on the tiny screen again. What do I do now?

Have you tried turning it on? It seems to me that once you enter the code and hit CD, it does say "SAFE" but it works from that point on. Of course, it probably also says "SAFE" if you didn't enter it correctly :) So confirm that you've tried using it after getting to the point you described and it still doesn't work (and that you have the volume up and are on a station or cd that should work).If so, then you are entering the wrong code. - Steven

Check the manual that came with the radio, you should have a little card with a code on it. You have to enter the code to unlock the radio, you enter it by pressing the preset 1-4 keys (each button means one digit).-Iain

speaking of which... Kan, do you know if there is any way to recover a code for a Grundig unit? I have a customer in the US that got one of those grey-market cars from Europe and they never got a code for the radio. When they put reconnected the battery, of course now they are locked out. I figured for security reasons there's probably no way to get it, but what do I know?I told him the original dealer probably has it on file (they do here) but his response of *sigh* and *groan* kind of hinted that wasn't an option :) - Steven

I was told when I took delivery not to lose the card; it's the only record of the code, for security reasons. I think they are out of luck unless they want to build an automated code breaker (I built a robotic padlock cracker out of LEGO a while back - just tried every combination until it'd open)... though that'd probably take years to execute. :)

-Iain

Your dealer may de different (read: lazier) but I know at least one (some, most, all?) of them keeps it on file and they can look it up by VIN. It only makes sense to me... its gotta be a common thing to lose. I have mine memorized I've had the bloody thing in and out so often :)I wonder if Grundig can look it up be serial? - Steven

Steven, has your US customer checked the underside of the drawer for the card? There was a post from someone who bought a second hand smart from a dealer, and they found the card taped there.Grundig could probably look up by serial number, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a requirement for a code?"Here's the serial number of the radio i just, umm picked up,umm, what's the security code?" :-) Maybe a dealer could get it if they have the radio in their posession. When I picked up my car, I couldn't find the card for the radio, and the guy at the dealer told me he could look it up. (that might only work for cars they sold, and it might be a dealer optional thing)

Perhaps by using the VIN the owner could trace the original dealership in Germany? They would probably have the code on record. It could also be something derived from a serial number of the radio. Perhaps if one could provide proof of ownership to Grundig (photo of the radio with serial number next to a local newspaper) they would work out the code for you.

If you get the stereo serial number you can contact a smart dealer in UK and they will supply you with the code for £10, I have heard people contacting Grundig directly and getting a varied level of sucess.

oh my god, I feel like a complete idiot. I was ready to come on here and say "i know what my god damn code is, im not stupid", then i thought i better just go check and make sure i memorized the correct code, just in case. So i went to check, and i was wrong. Yes, Duck, I know what that little card is. I have it right here. I was off by one digit at the end. I feel so stupid now. I bet i'll never forget it from this day on, its probably one of the easiest codes out there to remember too.

Is that your code, or are you trying to guess mine? If you're trying to guess it, you're wrong. Guess again. I'll give $100 to the first person that guesses it.

TPM prints the code on your invoice for service and such - makes it pretty hard to loose. Also note that if you blow the code entry the radio increments the time you have to wait before trying again - blow it too many times and you will have to wait a day or so.Cheers,Cameron