Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanadianTurbo

Diesel Additive

143 posts in this topic

I was adding milligans conditioner when I filled up, but I found my gas gauge starting acting differently when I used it. Prior to using the conditioner I could fill up and expect to drive at least 100k before the fuel indicator on my dash would drop on bubble. But when I starting using the conditioner it would drop down a bubble within 25k or less. I was thinking that the float in the tank was lubricated more and as a result gave me a false reading, but I'm not sure. Once I stopped using the conditioner the gauge behaved normally, so there was no damage done to the car from using the product. Has anyone else noticed a similar behavior with their fuel gauge after using milligans, or any other additive for that matter?

On my last tank(with Milligan's) I got 170km from my first blob. I don't think the Milligan's would have any effect on your sensor.

I'm convinced that it runs quieter and smoother with the Milligan's.

A friend of mine was talking to his trucker friend who is buying and using it in Texas.

I've never noticed anything like that, even using consecutive tankfuls of 100% biodiesel.

I resumed my use of milligans on my last fill and the fuel gauge in behaving normally. I'm not sure what was happening when I first started using it, but it's back to normal now.

So far, i can't say i've noticed any significant perceptible advantages of using Milligan's. I've put it in at my last four or five fill-ups, and haven't noticed things running much smoother or more economically, so i doubt i'm going to continue to use it. My car gets a pretty steady diet of Sunoco Gold Diesel, other than a few tanks of biodiesel when i can in the summer months.

I have to say, though, that i also find my fuel consumption to be rather erratic. One week it'll be below 4.0 L/100 km, the next week, well above. My driving style and speed don't vary that much. I drive pretty consistently. I just can't seem to get consistent fuel consumption from one tank to the next.

darren.

But if you plan on keeping your smart for longer than 10 years you might want to reconsider. Using Milligan's will reduce engine wear and that's important for the long haul!

Didn't you notice a change in exhaust smell when using the Milligan's??

I certainly do!

I am NOT a fan of additives of any kind, but I did start using Milligans in my fuel as per Glenn's suggestion and did notice an immediate change, I believe the engine runs smoother & quieter and the exhaust smell is different. I also use premium diesel. I will continue to use it as I like the way it runs and sounds. As for fuel mileage, I don't know if it has any affect on it as I never keep track anyway.

Derek

I assume that the longer service life claims are backed up by real-world double-blind trials on vehicle fleets....

I assume that the longer service life claims are backed up by real-world double-blind trials on vehicle fleets....

Yep. I think Mike and others here are familiar enough with me by now to know that I would not pass along claims or make them myself without having access to back-up data. Of which there is a tonne from the Saskatchewan BioBus and Dep't of Transportation and other real-world trials as well as standard laboratory ROCLE (roller on cylinder) wear tests.

Before going 'off-line' recently, I was cobbling together a PowerPoint Show including some datasets and graphs. Though it's not complete, I've just now uploaded the 7MB PPS file for your review. Kindly save to your local drive and open it from there rather than chewing up bandwidth...

www.BestDieselSaver.com/MilligansDFC.pps

The presentation was going to be an overall view with simple consumer statements and then research data as well. But I've realised I have to make two different ones. So this iteration is "the worst of both worlds" ;)

Cheers,

Bil :sun:

There was a study done at the University of Saskatchewan. The test vehicles were the city buses in Saskatoon. Probably all funded by the tax payers.

Yes, i guess the tailpipe emissions are a bit less stinky... i definitely noticed that with B50 as well. I guess even if the benefits aren't immediately noticeable to the driver, the longer-term benefits to the engine, supported by the test data, seem to make it a worthwhile investment.

darren.

My own oil analysis have tended to indicate that both Milligans and biodiesel reduce wear particles by 25-45%...

My own oil analysis have tended to indicate that both Milligans and biodiesel reduce wear particles by 25-45%...

Good news, smartzuuk... that is consistent with the manufacturer's claim of up to 50% wear reduction. I will be interested to see what my next UOA says.B:sun:

:smirk: One word: acetone

A very interesting article! Thanks Bill.Hmm... I guess this is so controversial it has drawn no reponses.They refer to acetone as a vaporization additive rather than a fuel additive and suggest 2oz. per 10 US gallons.So I guess-timate that would be about 1oz per smart tank?The article states that tests on fuel system components (seals and tubing) show no problems when used at their recommended ratio.Is anyone using acetone in their smart?Would it interact with other fuel additives? Do other fuel additives already contain it?I'm certainly curious and may wander in to a local beauty-supply outlet (the recommended source) and try it out.

If he had made his report with clinical language instead of occasional Castro-esque fist-pounding rhetoric, I'd be tempted to believe him; however, I have trouble accepting his science with the passion additive.