Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Little off-topic help needed from you folks down south

29 posts in this topic

Hey y'all (said in my best 'merican accent)I've got a task for someone.... and it has NOTHING to do with smart cars, so I apologize first off. This should go in Community Chatter, but its only for US residents so I figured I might get away with throwing it in here :)Corn Nuts... the snack.Nabisco makes them.They make a flavor called "Red Hot" (I believe it is flavored with Frank's Red Hot) but they don't sell them in Canada. They also don't seem to sell them in Washington either. We saw them in Oregon once, and in New Mexico.Believe it or not, I've actually been searching on-and-off for over a year now. Nabisco won't deal with me (call a retailer they say) and I've done extensive searches online and haven't found anyone that will sell them to me up here.I know... sounds stupid. Why so much effort for some silly snacks? Brownie points!! My g/f loves em.I know I'm too late for Chrismas... again... but if any of you happen to find a store that sells this flavor (please don't get confused with BBQ, Picante, Hot 'n Spicy, or anything else... must be "Red Hot") I want a caes or two or three. Perhaps if you find a local store you can ask the manager for a special deal for a larger quantity.I'll gladly pay any reasonable expense to get them here.Thanks :) - Steven

I will ask Constant Companion (trusty & obedient wife?) to begin this quest and report back to me. If it's there she will find it. I'll let you know one way or another.Cmdr. Cody Deeply South

This mission could be in no better hands (*steve salutes*). Remember soldier... my country needs you. - LEFT Tennant Steven (no, the other left)

Dude, you got like a total double-standard thing goin' on here... you post this in the wrong area (has nothing to do with smart/USA) yet move everyone elses' posts in the Mod/Performance area everywhere else...-Iain

Well, no - not really. I move posts that belong somewhere else - which is a moderator's call. Just like it will be the moderator of the USA forum's call to move this if they believe it belongs elsewhere.This OBVIOUSLY has to do with USA... true, it has nothing to do with smart - admitted right in the title.In the mods/perf forum, I wear the moderator hat and I keep my forum as clean as possible. But I'm also allowed to post as a user. And as a user, I made the judgement that this post either belonged here (because it is specific to USA) or in the community chatter (because it is non-smart) and I made my choice. Right choice? Wrong choice? Who are you to say? Who am I to say? That's the moderator's call. But take a look at what's the norm in regional threads before you criticize my choice... there are a LOT of people that use these forums as regionalized-community-chatter forums (you responded to the turkey dinner thread in this section without bitching). And that's cool if that's what the community and its moderator want. Like I said... that's not up to me or you to decide.I guess you like to have things either black or white. I don't see it that way. I also respect moderator's decisions. - Stevenps. When you post like you did above... what is the purpose? All it does is take an off-topic thread off-topic even more. You clearly have a PERSONAL problem with it/me (if anyone else posted that, you wouldn't have said a damned thing... look at the turkey dinner thread) so keep it PERSONAL and PM me.

Steve - they are now owned by Planters Nuts - who in turn is owned by Kraft Foods - Who is owned by Altria - It seems that the Red Hot flavour is not one of the front runners:

http://www.planters.com/cornnuts/index.aspx

They have a Nacho, Chili Picante, and Salsa Jalisco flavours now. But Ah Ha! - if you go to the history page it indicates that Red Hot is a flavour as well! This is reinforced on the FAQ's page:

http://www.planters.com/cornnuts/index.asp...&cat1=179#2

Folks - it looks like we have quest!

Too bad you hadn't mentioned this about 2 weeks ago - I would have looked on the jaunt southward to the heart of the corn nut country.

Cheers,

Cameron

yeah, I know its not one of their staple flavours, but when I phoned they confirmed they still make it. In fact, the two folks I spoke to there told me it is as simple as walking into my local grocer... even insisting I can get it in Canada. But I phoned the CDN distributor and they informed me that is not correct. Having checked at least 5 dozen convenience and grocery stores in Washington state over the last few years... I can tell you its not a simple quest! - Steven

Steve...Reminds me of myself a while back on my stint to the States...I searched HIGH and LOW for Jolt Chewing Gum in Idaho...And ended up buying a case, that was deeply discounted... And only caught my eye by fluke!Try that duty free shop in Blaine, WA...They have Euro Smarties, maybe they have what you're looking for...If not... I feel a roadtrip coming on! :PEddie

Try that duty free shop in Blaine, WA...They have Euro Smarties, maybe they have what you're looking for...If not... I feel a roadtrip coming on! :P

I tried the duty free shops (every one between Vancouver and Osoyoos) - Steven

We have them here in Alabama, I see them in convenience stores all the time. I will see if I can locate them in sizes beyond the 3 bite bags that I usually see. If its fried, crackled, fat dipped, or full of carbs this area has it. By the way, nothing is too late for Christmas with UPS. I selected post notifications for this, so if you need a followup on this, just let me know. While off topic threads might be a an issue with other things, I am the first to admit I rarely view the other sections of this forum, the only thing that really catches my attention is the USA section, so in this case, it was a reasonable assumption to post here ;)

Excellent!!First off, let me welcome you to the forum because I don't recall doing so. Unfortunately, unlike you I rarely look in here :( Its due to lack of time, not interest - most of my posting is done in the Mods and Performance and Self Promotions forums.I remember reading some of your posts about Zap/G&K but I don't think we've ever had any discussions (then again, I have a bad memory) so this feels a bit like a stranger asking a stranger for a favor :) So hi! My name is Steven, and I belong to a cornnut-a-holic. I drive a smart car and I live (near) beautiful-but-boring Kelowna, British Columbia. I enjoy walks on the beach and like hockey and pizza.Now that we're not strangers - Without going overboard, I'd like to get a case or more (of course I don't know how big a case is). I'd prefer a case of the larger packages over the smaller ones for less packaging and waste. I'm probably looking for around $50 worth, or around 10lbs - whichever is less. Buying by the case should be a lot less money... not asking you to play D. Trump here, but hoping you'd at least ask for a discount from the store.Btw... UPS is not good to Canada. They've mastered the art of rip-off like few other. They don't tell anyone, but the item will arrive and will be held hostage until we pay their ridiculous "customs processing fee", which is a minimum $30. The exception is if the value of the goods is under CAD$20. FedEx charges only $7 and USPS $5. But that's all just FYI... the bigger thing here is that while I'd score brownie points for getting these for my g/f, I'd lose double that by wasting money on shipping. She HATES wasted money :) So slowest & cheapest makes the gift more special!Thanks so much if you or anyone else do end up finding them and help me get them! - Steven

Okay s mack looks like davek has found your goodies. I'm still going to let Constant Companion continue her search. Also - re: this side of town (USA) this particular part of Csc will probably start to be well looked at as time draws nearer and we find out the dealerships, when we can order, etc.Cmdr. Cody

Its well looked after as it is! Its up to the moderator and the members of the community to decide what content is appropriate for their section. I have no problem at all with what's discussed in here - so I hope nothing I said came off otherwise.I want to stress again that we are looking for a particular flavor - "Red Hot". I can get normal Corn Nuts locally :) - Steven

You might try Picard Peanuts, they have a good selection of nuts too (and you save on customs).-Iain

Our local grocery store has chili, nacho,BarBQ, etc, etc on the shelf. The mgr said their distributor doesn't carry red hot; however, he will check with their specialty supplier next Wednesday (that's the next time he'll be there). Originals are 95 cents/bag; chili & nacho are $1.35. He didn't venture a price as they aren't in his supplier's records.

Thanks for checking!I noticed Costco in the states carries a multi-pack (without RedHot) and I find those six flavours seem to be everywhere. - Steven

Quick note to s mack. When I said this part of town (USA) will be well looked at my meaning there was to say that this part of Csc will become quite popular when we get our Smarts. I never meant to imply that it is "not well looked after." Truth to be told - this Csc site is well run in my opinion.Cndr. Cody

Steven...how about a trade?I find these, and you get me Ketchup Flavoured Chips :)*prepares to go to the grocery store*

Which brand of Ketchup flavoured chips? - we have a couple (had to rub that in). :biglaugh: Cheers,Cameron

alrighty... I'm going to the grocery store on Saturday, I'll let you know what I find. Anything else you need from the states? Overpriced and overregulated prescriptions perhaps? How about some of our smelly green cash?