Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

"new" starter button

5 posts in this topic

Well... I'm two parts embarassed, two parts happy, and one part pissed-off.

For anyone that followed the history of the MDC starter button, we found out that the original version wasn't that great for cold weather climates (ie. Canada) because the glowplugs didn't have time to warm up.

I had suggested to MDC that they change it. Many times. I bugged them and bugged them. But I never really got an answer.

Here's the embarassing part: they actually fixed it in December of '05 and I've been telling people they aren't ready yet as recently as yesterday.

Here's the pissed-off part: nobody told me!!! I could have been selling these for the past year now!

Here's the happy part: They are ready and in stock!! I ordered a handful a couple months ago for US (gas) smarts so I have them here ready to work anywhere a smart will!

The description and stock will be updated for my new website (ETA: New Years) so if you wish to order one now please ignore the warning and do so from the special order section.

Thank you.

- Steven

post-8-1166472205.jpg

Previously:

Push and release puts you in service mode (and warms glow plugs). [position 0 --> 1]

Subsequent push immediately shuts off car. [1 --> 0]

Push and hold > .5s starts the car from off. [0 --> 2]

Push and hold > .5s shuts car off from running. [2 --> 0]

There was no way to go from 1 to 2 directly.

Current:

Push and release puts you into service mode (and warms glow plugs). [0 --> 1]

Subsequent push and release shuts off car. [1 -->0]

Or... subsequent push and hold > 1.5s starts the car. [1 --> 2]

Push and hold > 1.5s starts the car from off. [0 --> 2] for warm weather, or gas smarts

Push and hold > 1.5s shuts car off from running. [2 --> 0]

The delays were changed from 0.5s to 1.5s for some reason... other than that, the only change is the ability to go from 0 --> 1 --> 2 instead of just 0 --> 2

It works the same as before for gas smarts or summer diesels, but gives the flexibility cdi owners require in the winter.

- Steven

no. However, I can do exchanges for anyone that bought the older model, minus a fee... around $30 I think. - Steven

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More