How-To: Add a Washer Nozzle to your Wiper Arm

61 posts in this topic

Adding the Wiper Spray Nozzle

Step 1. Make sure you have the right parts. You'll need, from Mercedes-Benz:

[*]Q0003914V002000000 - Connector for Nozzle

[*]A0008600862 - Check Valve/Splitter

Posted Image

The total cost will be about $50.

Step 2. Remove the nose cone, as has been documented in detail elsewhere.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 3. Remove the left headlight assembly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 4. Locate the left wiper arm shaft fluidic throughfeed. This barbed fitting is the equivilant of a hydraulic slipring, the barbed fitting doesn't move. Which is great, because it means no hose protection is required since nothing's rubbing on anything else.

Posted Image

Step 5. Find a suitable tubing (in this case, I used 8 mm (1.25 mm wall thickness) pneumatic tubing) and press one end onto the barbed fitting at the base of the wiper arm. I soaked the end of the hose in hot water for a few minutes to soften it up. Carefully route the hosing along the thick aluminium tube as shown and zip tie in place (not too tight!).

Posted Image

Step 6. Bring the hose out front parallel to the existing wiper fluid hose and pump.

Posted Image

Step 7. Snip the existing hose at a suitable location and install the Check Valve/Splitter assembly. The pump side of the hose should fit onto the single side of the splitter; the hoses which now go to the wiper arm and existing bump sprayer at the base of the windshield should be coming out the top.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 8. Test your connection by briefly pulsing the sprayer. If you've done everything right, you'll get a right royal mess of fluid boiling out of the wiper bearing. :)

Step 9. Lift up the plastic cover on the left wiper bearing on the outside and look for the tiny hole. This is the pass through for the fluid. Take the connector piece and carefully locate it directly above the hole. Using a slot screwdriver, gently lever the connector into place. Make sure the force you are applying is exactly in line with the hole, or else you'll damage the connector.

Posted Image

Step 10. Grab the wiper nozzle assembly you bought and press fit the free end of the hose onto the connector piece. Flip down the plastic cover and make sure the hose passes through the provided notch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 11. Clip the spring retainer in place.

Posted Image

Step 12. Clip the wiper nozle onto the wiper arm (look for the stamped detent on the arm, the hole on the nozzle unit will locate it here and keep it from moving about).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 13. Using a pin, carefully adjust the nozzles for an optimal spray pattern.

Posted Image

Step 14. Test, and adjust if necessary. Reinstall the headlight and nose cone (reverse of above - don't forget to install the electrical connector on the back of the lights!). Neaten up the hose by appling a bit of large diameter heat shrink tubing or zip tie in place (you can guess which one I did). All done!

Posted Image

-Iain

Edited by Duck

Iain... you always take such excellent photos, especially the close-ups. Is it the operator or the camera?? If you don't have any special photo training/experience, can you pm me what kind of camera (brand/model) you use? Thanks. - Steven

Thanks Steven :) I only have 3 tricks:

[*]Never use the flash, ever, it is the devil!!

[*]Always have a steady surface to rest the camera on (tripod is best)

[*]Macro macro macro macro macro! :D

It is a Sony DSC-F88. I bought it because it has a swiveling body separate from the lens, which means if I don't have my tripod with me, I can still set my camera on the ground, with the display facing up, with the lens assembly angled however (so I can see what I'm taking a long exposure of or whatever). I think the hinge wiring harness is going though (I wondered if that would be it's downfall when I bought it) as it is quite spotty sometimes.

-Iain

Edited by Duck

Awesome. Probably next on my list of things to try.Might as well continue the trend of following Duck in his mods. I doubt I would have tried the 12V or Eurobum project without these guides. Greatly appreciated.(dude, the avatar..... no no no) ;)

Completed this mod yesterday. It was easier than I thought. They hardest part I found was getting the Y-connector down into the little hole. But I took the wiper arm off. Maybe with it on you can use it as leverage when pushing the connector in with a screwdriver. I did the flashing sidemarkers at the same time.

A light rub with some emery strip tends to make it go in easier - you have to watch not to damage it (or you are out a whooping $2 something) if you try to lever it in with a screw driver under the wiper arm.Cheers,Cameron

I had no problem using a screwdriver (step 9 above), I did it twice (once for mine, once a few days later for mhawel's) and it really does slip in no problem! You just have to make sure you're adjusting the position of the screwdriver to verify the force you're applying is coaxial with the hole.Maybe I'm lazy. I think my wiper arms are completly seized onto the spline shaft anyway. :)-Iain

I used a screwdriver the same way Iain did, and it went in without a problem. I also ran my hose inside the wiper arm spring for a bit more of a clean look.

Early smarts used to come with this fitted, theres one chap over here who has addid two extra to squrt water at passers by :smirk:

Yes this does seem like an excellent mod. With the winter weather approaching I'm really starting to notice how useless the stock nozzles are. Their effectiveness varies with the speed of the car.Thanks Iain for the excellent guide. I wonder why they got rid of the original wiper nozzles in the first place.

the original ones dident work very well so smart changed them

I wonder if they changed them on the GenIII smart? Since the current ones don't work worth spit. ... In fact, spit might actually work better than these ones!

Funny I was always meaning to do this but forgot about it until Duck tidied it up in here...after noticing yesterday that one of my jets was firing over the car and trying to adjust it I think its back on the list! Is this at all possible on the passenger side too?This nozzle setup with my vertical wipers will lay a nice swath of fluid behind the wiper to wet things down and clean better....i hope anyways!S

never had any probs with mine, then we dont get the cold weather you get, do they salt the roads in canada ?

never had any probs with mine, then we dont get the cold weather you get, do they salt the roads in canada ?

Salt, sand, grit and gravel! The metal rots, the front panels get pitted and the finish sandblasted; the windshield is always at risk of chips and cracks. Some times of year - after certain weather conditions - it is best just not to travel the highway because a cracked windscreen is virtually inevitable.A well-performing windshield washer and excellent wiper blades to maintain visibility are sometimes life/death critical.I haven't done this mod yet 'cause I haven't been driving much since I got the kit in the fall. But now I'm more-or-less back on the road again, maybe I'd better bump it up the list!Bil :sun:

Results may vary on the fitting in the hole bit - both of the times I put it in it was too tight - first time I tired the fitting started to crush before budging - could be there is a slight variation in the hole i.e. a burr or a bit more paint on mine.I find they work really good - especially on the road grundge we get from tire spray etc. in the winter - gives the wiper blade a fighting chance by spraying some bug juice on the screen before dragging across it.Cheers,Cameron

Had a spring like day today in SW Ontario. Polished and worked on the smart outside for about 3 hours :doublethumb:

As an addendum to this post, Michael (mhawel) bought some large-diameter heat shrink tubing. We did both our cars; using a bit of dishwashing detergent, we managed to slide the heat shrink over the hook at the end of the wiper arm, then feed the wiper fluid tube back through. I think it looks worlds better! Thanks Mike!

Posted Image

Obviously, the trick here is applying just the right amount of even heat. We used an industrial heat gun. I am not sure with an open flame that it would be possible to shrink up the tube neatly enough, unless you took the whole wiper arm right off.

-Iain

Looks very nice. Is the tubing gray or is there just a colour cast to the picture? What does it look like underneath?

It is a matte/dark grey. It's covered with salt and filth right now. I think in the summer time when it is hot out, it will look even sleeker.-Iain

I have all the parts in hand to do this mod, I just need some warmer weather... how did I end up with a house that doesn't have a garage?

I shrink wrapped the whole affair on mine right up to the nozzle - post is here with the shrink tubing sizes - I used the good epoxy type tubing on the large part - it has been on there since last year and is standing up fine. It does make a more finished looking job.

Click on the photos - the thumbnails seemed to have gone away - also a quick rub with some plastic protector turns the dusty looking tubing to a nice satin black finish.

http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p?p=58334#58334

Cheers,

Cameron

I used heat shrink tubing on mine as well, but i only used a couple of short pieces, as i was concerned that salt and water getting trapped under a full-length wrap would cause premature rusting of the wiper arm.

Not an issue out here - we seldom get salt on the roads - your results may vary. Cheers,Cameron