Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

A/C reminder...

99 posts in this topic

If you haven't already, remember to cycle the a/c a few times every month even (especially!) in winter in order to circulate the oil in the system so as to keep the seals from drying out.

Otherwise you may find, come time you NEED airconditioning, that the refrigerant has leaked away.

:smart:s m a r t regards,

Bil :sun:

It was -14 on my way to Kamloops this morning. Can't say that A/C was on my mind at the time.Good tip, though. I haven't cycled it for about 6 weeks, so this is a good reminder.

You know... it would be really cool to put an opt in announce list for people who want to be reminded of such things, but who forget (like me). LOLOr, you could bump this thread every three weeks or so ;-)Thank you.

There is a max temperature our a/c won't allow activate below no?Not that I will attempt when it is currently -26c out...Dropping to -31 that tomorrow...Eddie

Yeah - doesn't the A/C not come on at all below a certain temperature? I remember scratching my head reading the manual, because yeah it says to blast the windshield with A/C + heat if its' foggy, but then, that the A/C won't activate below a certain temperature. ?

-Iain

Because the AC does 2 jobs, chills the air if it is warm AND removes moisture.No matter the temperature, it still removes moisture.

Because the AC does 2 jobs, chills the air if it is warm AND removes moisture.No matter the temperature, it still removes moisture.

So you are saying that the compressor engages regardless of the ambient temperature?This is contrary to the commonly held belief that there is a fixed temperature range between which the compressor will operate and lube the seals.

Using A/C with the heater is the best way to quickly defog a car. I've never heard of an A/C compressor being disabled below a certain temperature threshold.

Hmm, I know my Tercel would do it (the A/C simply would not engage below something like 5 C, IIRC). And the heated seats on my dad's 240 shut off above a certain temperature, too! So you can't cook your butt too much. :)-Iain

Using A/C with the heater is the best way to quickly defog a car. I've never heard of an A/C compressor being disabled below a certain temperature threshold.

Page 4 - 16 of the Operating Instructions Manual states - "The air conditioning plus system switches off automatically at outside temperatures below 5 degrees C." This would indicate that the compressor will not be engaged below 5 C. :dunno:

I'll try it when we get another cold snap. The temperatures are on their way up again here.

Is that just an '05 thing because my '06 manual says nothing about a/c not working below certain temperatures. In fact, I've checked this on mine and as a defogging tool it works at temperatures below zero. You can hear/feel the compressor cut in and defog is instant.

I know for a fact that my A/C runs in -10C temps as it was today and probably lower.Maybe it is a pre-'06 thing but gets over-written when you get the software update.B:sun:

...that they do these things after the cars have been around for 8 years, and change them at the last possible moment before discontinuing the model. Strange.-Iain

Is that just an '05 thing because my '06 manual says nothing about a/c not working below certain temperatures. In fact, I've checked this on mine and as a defogging tool it works at temperatures below zero. You can hear/feel the compressor cut in and defog is instant.

Hmmmm....That's weird, mine works the way the manual and training guide say it's supposed to work. The light comes on, but the compressor doesn't actually engage when it's cold. (Manual says -5c. I've never tried to see if it's exactly -5c or not, but definitely doesn't work when it's "cold".)You should be very cautious if yours does come on that you do not turn it on when it's too cold out. When cold, you can hit a condition where the refrigerant does not vaporize properly. If that happens, the parts that are designed to pump gas will be pumping liquid and you will damage the compressor. In the old days, they used a back pressure regulating valve to prevent damage to the compressor should something have frozen up in the system. They don't do that anymore in modern cars since they don't "normally" actually turn on the compressor. I can't imagine smart has gone back to using a relief valve. They were big clunky not very accurate things. You might want to have your dealer look at it during the next service, it sounds wrong.Later! Dang

I had a '91 Cavalier that automatically turned on the a/c along with defrost/demist mode. It did that even at -25. Every car and truck I had since then did too. I was actually surprised the smart didn't interlock defrost + A/C like that. Thought it was universal...

B:sun:

[P.S. I don't let my dealer touch the car other than a couple of free TSB upgrades. I drive 800km round trip for service at Flying Tiger in Richmond (CsC member FastEddy) or do it myself]

B....My sister had a '91 Cavalier as well. Was a good car right up until the head blew. You're right, on that car, and a lot of cars 15 year ago, it just turns the compressor on at any temp and relied on the back pressure valve to handle anything that was blocked, but then the air compressor system in that car was about the same size as our engine.In all the modern cars I've had, including my current 2005 Hyundai Tucson and 2007 Camry the A/C "light" comes on (automatically in the case of the Tuscon when in defrost), but in neither car does the compressor actually engage. -17c in Calgary right now, so I was able to check that. (the things I do for this forum.....) It's actually really easy to check in most cars, just look for the clutch to go "clack" and you will see the "ring" on the front of the A/C turning. Hard to do on the smart since it's hard to see the compressor. (actually the Camry compressor is electric, so it doesn't really go "clack".)I was just looking up A/C in the smart diagnostic software (....not that I have that of course... :whistling: ) If the compressor is engaging it says it's a fault of the "Evaporator Temperature Sensor B10/6". Apparently:"The evaporator sensor controls the air exit temperature in the EDO and normal modes. In addition, the evaporator sensor protects the evaporator from icing up. This can occur at temperatures below 3 degrees centigrade, blocking the air flow through the evaporator. Therefore, the air conditioning is switched off at this limit value."Again, just for anyone reading this, the light on your dash will come on at -400c, but the light (much like the heater booster light) doesn't actually mean that anything is actually "turned on". I still think you might want to have your dealer look at it during your next service if the compressor is actually engaging when it's -10c out. If they say that's normal, then so be it.Later! Dang

We are in the minus mid 20s right now so yesterday I hit the A/C buttom which of course lit up but I also noticed a dimming of the dash lights for a second as if a heavy load was added to the electrical system so I am incline to think the compressor kicked in. Whether it stayed on or not I could not tell.Maybe someone with a scangauge and a 2006 model could try this and maybe get more info.RCAF

Okay - last night, +4 C coming out of Toronto, A/C would definitely NOT engage on my 2006 (October 2005 build date) car.-Iain

Would their be any harm in just leaving the AC on all the time in the winter? I'm asking because when you turn on the car the AC setting goes back to the same position it was when you last turned off the car.

I suppose one downside is that when it warms up a bit, say +6c or so, your A/C will come on, which would tend to use fuel, and make your car interior cold.Later! Dang

I suppose one downside is that when it warms up a bit, say +6c or so, your A/C will come on, which would tend to use fuel, and make your car interior cold.

... unless you have your temperature set to hot, in which case, your car's interior will get hot. :/

Well, when i was out running errands this afternoon, the outside temperature gauge read -1°C, so i thought i'd try the A/C. The compressor kicked in every time, whether i had the heat set to full cold or full hot, or if the distribution pattern was set to the vents or to defrost. I was sitting idling just before shutting the car off, so i could feel it and hear it very easily.