Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesys

smart roadster in Canada!

15 posts in this topic

Sorry, not for sale. Nonetheless, I didn't know they were allowed on the roads here! My guess it was some clause like the guy with the Crossblade in the US.

This smart roadster spotted on Robson Street near Thurlow Street in Vancouver, BC on January 20, 2007.

Posted Image

Given the plate (German), and the dirty front wheels, I doubt this car was brought in by MB for promotional reasons. So how else could it get here?Possibly a well-heeled tourist who likes to drive their own car (which is permissible). But I think it is more likely to be a car attached to a diplomatic transfer, or possibly the personal property of someone here for a short-term assignment.Maybe a lumber baron looking towards the Stanley Park harvest?:drive:

Hundreds of Europeans bring their cars and campers to Canada every year for an extended trip - I usually see at least ten every summer, just around Duncan.Considering the roadster went out of production in November 2005, you can guarantee that it is not a M-B promotional vehicle! ;)They were definitely VERY fun cars to drive, I wish I'd had a couple of weeks with it.....

I would have if I saw it! ;)But aren't they in a different location, since it's not a Canadian-spec model, it doesn't have to be in the same place?

Yeah, they're not visible from the outside. I imagine the new version will have a visible VIN just like all N American market cars. Even Renaults have that now ;)

...But I think it is more likely to be a car attached to a diplomatic transfer, or possibly the personal property of someone here for a short-term assignment...

More than likely.My sister and brother-in-law live in Ottawa and they always see many Euro cars with Euro plates driving around.When I lived in Montreal back in the '90's, I remember seeing on several occasions a dark metallic blue BMW Z1 with foreign plates (can't remember from which country though). The Z1 was the one with the doors that retracted down into the sills, if you wanted to get into the car.It seems like there's still a few markets that are selling Roadsters, although, may not be for long:Smart Roadster - GermanySmart Roadster - UK - Finale editionSmart Roadster - Japan - Sold out...

15. :( There's a guy in our pocket bike race circle that is into the Nissan "Skyline" and he's in a club where all of a sudden their members can start bringing them in from Japan, because they were made in 1992.-Iain

There are quite a few Skylines here nowadays. Apparently enough so that the powers that be are considering changing the import rules.

I'm wondering if the Project Kimber's Mitsubishi 3 cylinder roadster engine and manual transmission could be retrofitted into a fortwo... :doublethumb:

It is doubtful that the Gummint will change the 15 year rule for imports of previously non-compliant / non-available-in-Canada cars... they have bigger fish to fry.Skylines are getting press because of their power and image as 'Tuner' cars; hopefully their new owners will act responsibly and not just raise the bar for Vancouver's illegal street-racing scene.But here in Toronto we're also seeing Honda Beats and S-Cargos, both of swhich are as cute as all get-out, and pretty good for both the environment and the public perception of micro-cars.It's a two-edged sword, as usual.:drive: