Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harleyduo

Will Smart be at Chicago Auto Show?

2 posts in this topic

I looked online to see if Smart Fortwo was present at the Chicago Auto Show, like it was in Detroit. I could not find it listed and I didn't spot it in any of the webcams they have online. If you live in the Chicago area and are going to the show, be sure to let us know if you spot it. Heck, I'm ready to put down my $99 deposit, today, and can't wait for it to actually happen. The more I see it being shown, the more I think it will be a success. However, if the public isn't kept informed how would they expect it to be a success?

Hi HarleyDuo,

A little late in this response… I felt so confident that the new Smart Car was going from the Detroit Auto Show to the Chicago Sow that I bought tickets (ahead of time) online to go. Only after I paid did I learn the Smart wouldn’t be there. Man, was I disappointed to hear this and actually didn’t even bother going to the show afterwards. I live in the Milw. WI area and just didn’t feel like traveling the distance (about 90 miles) after this let down.

I don’t understand if they are intending to promote this new version why they didn’t elect to continue showing it off at the next logical big auto show. This just makes sense to me…but then again what do I know. :dunno:

From what I’ve gleaned now, the appearance of the new Smart at the Detroit show was only to attract dealerships and not the general pubic. It tends to reason if Penske hasn’t got his dealership base straightened out yet… how is the public to be answered as to where and when they will be able to actually buy one. I remember going to the 05 Chicago Show and first seeing a ForTwo in the flesh for the first time. I immediately wanted one only to learn that they were only testing the market and not scheduled for any kind of sales release in the US. :sniffle:

I’m glad I now own a 06 Pulse and don’t have to wait (anymore) for this circus to get to town. hehe This spring and summer is going to be a very enjoyable one for me now that I finally own a ForTwo. I’ve wanted one for years and finally my dream has come true.

FWIW I find the older Smart design to be far more aesthetically attractive to me. The lengthening of the body on the new version has done something to the lines of the car that just doesn’t look as good to me. But again that’s just me and someone else could feel just the opposite. None the less the new one is longer (bigger if you will) and that’s not a welcome attribute when you’re talking Smart IMHO.

post-2166-1173638215.jpg