Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart fortwo 451 VIN format

7 posts in this topic

I asked an employee at smartville (thanks, Freddy!) to check a 451 as it was on the line, and to tell me what the VIN is.

The car he checked was a European market version coming down the line on February 21, 2007, and it follows the EU FIN/VIN convention:

Here it is:

WME4513311K004992

The key bit of information I was looking for was in the last 6 numbers of the VIN. It would appear to suggest that the new 451 serial numbers began at 000001.

By the time Freddy read the VIN for me, the 451 could have been about six weeks into production. So they must have been building them at a reduced cadence because it is a new model and they want to get everything just right.

The reason I say that is: around 380 model 450 cars were being made there on the day we did a factory tour in 2005. 380 cars times 35 production days (weekend shut down) would be a little over 13000 units, and at just under 5000, the production cadence must have been about 1/3 of normal at that point.

Anyway, without over-analysing it, I would say - with high confidence - that the first 451 would be 000001!

The other parts of that FIN/VIN:

WME = smart manufacturer code

451 = model 451

3 = coupé

31 = engine type (unknown, but it refers - indirectly - to a power rating in the 450, meaning 31kW is NOT the output!)

K = Assmebly Building 4, Hambach production site (smartville)

004992 = serial number

I am presently trying to get official information on the 451 engine codes, as well as the eventual CDN/USA VIN codes. We'll be able to figure the latter out pretty easily, even if official word never comes. The engine codes will probably also be easy to figure out, by reverse engineering so to speak.

Cool, thanks for the information! :)Do you know what the code for cabrio is?Did you post a similar VIN thing somewhere in this forum too? I don't recall seeing it, but it would be interesting! :P

Under the EU-FIN system, a cabrio is code 4.

Under the CDN/USA-VIN system it is K (J for coupé).

The VIN info for the 450 is here.

Mike T - once you get this VIN thing worked out for the 451 can you remind us, or direct us, on how to follow its transit? If that's possible. Something tells me that you were able to do this. For example: left Bremerhaven on....Arrive NYC on...Cmdr. Cody

I have added to Roy Sky Bell's post that she put up here in 2005. Have a look and see if you can help us!