Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie Eddie Eddie

Make your own biodiesel...

7 posts in this topic

Hmm...

So it's like 3:00am round here and I can't sleep... No surprise in that!

I dunno how I came across this but there is a distributor here in Edmonton for the FuelMeister...

Its a kit to make your own biodiesel...

http://www.trimlinedesigncentre.com/bio_di...meisterbmp.html

I believe it costs around $3000 in US funds to buy... Not sure what they're selling it for here in Edmonton...

Seems interesting for those are are into cutting their fuel costs...

Something I may consider when I burn thru my warranty...

Eddie

Maybe a few of us can chip in.

Not sure about the methanol pump and the lye.......sounds a bit scarry.......bad for fur

Small excerpt from http://www.journeytoforever.org (biofuels section)

Methoxide the easy wayMixing lye with methanol creates an exothermic reaction, generating heat. It's nasty stuff and it's not easy to mix -- and it must be thoroughly mixed before you use it, with all the lye dissolved. This is a safe and easy way to do it. The disadvantage is that you have to do it in advance, but that's easily arranged.Take FULL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS when working with methanol, lye and sodium methoxide!Use a tough, thick, container made of HDPE (High-density Polyethylene -- usually marked "HDPE" on the bottom, with the international code "2"), with a tight stopper and a screw-on lid. Measure out the methanol into the container. Add the required amount of lye -- if you're doing large quantities, add it bit by bit rather than all at once, give the container a swirl in between (replace stopper and lid first). Once it's all added, replace the stopper and the lid, and swirl the mixture about for a few seconds. Then let it stand. Do that a few more times, every few hours or so (at least 4-6 times in all). It will be thoroughly dissolved in 24 hours, or maybe a bit longer.We use a 3-gallon HDPE container with two screw-on caps and an aquarium air-pump to transfer the mixed methoxide to the reactor vessel via a hose, with no exposure at all. Clean, safe and simple. We transfer the methanol to the HDPE container the same way.

On a similar note, lye is not as bad as people seem to think - as long as you know what you are dealing with.My wife makes soap from scratch - you just have to be careful, just as you would when handling gas or propane. That kit doesn't look too bad. Like the blurb says - you don't have to put it all together yourself.Cya

My father's up for new company vans...I'm trying to convince him to move away from the Ford Econolines to getting Sprinters!I love the look of those funny vans!Plus they're diesel (cdi) and thus I can use his van as a test mule!Eddie

Its just like making soap....or setting up a meth lab.....but completely different!

S

My father's up for new company vans...

I'm trying to convince him to move away from the Ford Econolines to getting Sprinters!

I love the look of those funny vans!

Plus they're diesel (cdi) and thus I can use his van as a test mule!

Eddie

We've been getting a lot of those through the terminal and they are really nice. Very comfortable to drive and tons of room inside. They would make incredible campers if one was to convert them a bit also. They're not rockets but have plenty of power for average usages, I can only recommend them from what I've experienced.