Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xandria

We Need Smilies

50 posts in this topic

Hi, gang!

We need some more smilies. If anyone has any favourites, just right click over one, save it to your hard drive and send it to me at: xandria@clubsmartcar.ca

Scour the 'net, other forums, make your own. Send me your smilies!

:-)

the phpBB site has plenty of smiley packs. They are very easy to load from the administration page;

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=22

I agree. Why don't you pick out some packs and post the links and we'll add them ASAP.

I'm still working on the attachemnts. :roll:

OK,work on the Smiley's has begun. I have uploaded some Smiley's I received to the server. However, having chronic tendinitis, I cannot do the amount of clicking that is required to set them up in the forum. Now there is a way to actually edit the text file containing this information, but it's a little bit too much for my speech recognition program since most of it aren't real words. Therefore, if someone can help edit this file, that would be great. I have no problems explaining how to do this-- essentially, I just need someone with hands and a little bit of time.

Thanks much. And now I am going to bed. :watchout:

With instructions,I could also give you a hand after the weekend is over. Let me know if you still need help. :?:

With instructions,I could also give you a hand after the weekend is over. Let me know if you still need help. :?:

Thanks so much. I'll let you know if I cause Spinner to run screaming or not. Thanks so much.

Cheers.

Heh heh. Laziness drives efficiency...

ls *.gif | awk -F ".gif" '{print "icon_" $0 "=+:" tolower($1) "=+::" tolower($1) ":"}' > smilies.addin.txt

(I meant, my laziness)

That's what? A couple hundred smilies encoded for you in under a second?

Meh. :P Gloating. One of the rare times I put my technical knowledge to use outside of work. It makes me feel good.

Heh heh. Laziness drives efficiency...

ls *.gif | awk -F ".gif" '{print "icon_" $0 "=+:" tolower($1) "=+::" tolower($1) ":"}' > smilies.addin.txt

(I meant, my laziness)

That's what? A couple hundred smilies encoded for you in under a second?

Meh. :P Gloating. One of the rare times I put my technical knowledge to use outside of work. It makes me feel good.

I think I'm in love... don't tell my husband :-)

Now I just have to figure out how to upload the pack because clearly the instructions are very obvious, and my brain cannot handle anything obvious. I'm sure it will come to me. Thank you so much for the hard work... *cough* actually, I will always maintained that clever solutions, no matter how quick, are still hard work. Because in order to arrive at that clever solution, you probably had to endure years of God knows what kind of training and mental gymnastics. Thank you.

We have way too many smilies in my opinion.

Who has the time or inclination to go through the existing collection and do some weeding and prioritizing? Unless everyone is okay with all of those smilies -- but I don't think we need ALL of them. Up to you. This is a democracy, after all -- at least we try ;-)

There are 20 immediately visible and the rest are visible after clicking "view more..."

Who's game?

*bats eyelashes*

:magic:

PS: I've always wanted to use the above smily because it's wonderfully twisted.

Oh my lord. I have a 5MB line and it probably still took a good 45 seconds to load all those smilies.

Oh my lord. I have a 5MB line and it probably still took a good 45 seconds to load all those smilies.

Yes, but they are now in your cache, and should load just fine on successive "view more emoticons" clicks. Let me know if that is otherwise.

I think they'll be okay, though its too bad the pop up seems undersized for the oversized smilies, and I don't know about anyone else, but that popup window doesn't have a place to show you what you're hovering over.

:horseshit:

We have way too many smilies in my opinion.

Who has the time or inclination to go through the existing collection and do some weeding and prioritizing? Unless everyone is okay with all of those smilies -- but I don't think we need ALL of them. Up to you. This is a democracy, after all -- at least we try ;-).

I wouldn't complain if they all stayed.

No, still loads the same... but because I'm on a 5mb line I pretty much turn caching off. Also for web development, caching is bloody annoying when testing changes.

I think they'll be okay, though its too bad the pop up seems undersized for the oversized smilies, and I don't know about anyone else, but that popup window doesn't have a place to show you what you're hovering over.

:horseshit:

I can grow that pop up if required... But I think trimming down some of those or maybe installing a smily mod to manage them... Also, no one's forcing you to use them. :twisted:

There are some freewares that will take all the gifs in a directory and create a .pak for you. That is what i use on our forum.

We have a club meeting this morning, after that I will try to find the utility.

There are some freewares that will take all the gifs in a directory and create a .pak for you. That is what i use on our forum.

We have a club meeting this morning, after that I will try to find the utility.

That would've been handy. But it was taken care of. We just need to weed out simular ones and sort them into an order now.

We now have a selection of smilies on the Post edit page (look to the left). This is an arbitrary selection, and we'll rotate them from time to time. :BlahBlah: Something will be done with the larger view of all the smilies (aka emoticons) in the near future.Enjoy!:bustamove::ballons:

It's all my fault, it's all my fault.I am so sorry, spinner. I upload the file without looking at it, and... well, I sent you an e-mail about it. So everyone, spinner is right... except that this will be delayed by a little bit due to my mucking with the works. *hangs head in shame and begs forgiveness*

I fixed it, I fixed it! Thank you, spinner for your patience and for all of your hard work. :bustamove: I am so :blush: that I can be such an idiot. Please forgive me. :cry3: I think I need someone to :dominate: me for a change.Thanks again, spinner.

I fixed it, I fixed it! Thank you, spinner for your patience and for all of your hard work. :bustamove: I am so :blush: that I can be such an idiot. Please forgive me. :cry3: I think I need someone to :dominate: me for a change.Thanks again, spinner.

I'll go first...... :diablo: Bud