Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedie

August 4th, 2007 - Joyce Washington - Be there!

286 posts in this topic

The ferries can be busy this time of year. The Keystone/Pt Townsend ferry uses two 80 year old boats. They can be out of service for a day or two and really mess things because they don't have a replacement. They also get backed up at different times of the day so that the 1 pm up date doesn't mean much for the early boats. These boats carry about 80 cars.The Edmond Kingston ferry is more dependable, newer 400 car boats vs 80 car boats at Keystone. Time wise the Edmonds route might be faster as there is more freeway verses rural roads. Again waits can vary greatly by time of day.There is also a downtown Seattle/Bainbridge ferry that may or may not save time depending on wait but you might consider as a rest time verses the long drive around on an already long trip. These are also 400 car boats. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask or send me a pm.If you get held up and show up late, we will try to save you a piece of blackberry pie but no promises. It can be pretty hard to control speedie. :lol:

Hi guys, I have a news flash from Joyce. They have installed their first sidewalk and it will be officially dedicated Saturday before the parade. The big problem is I don't think they will let us take our smarts on it.Also I talked to Blue Flame and they will work with us to make sure our vegetarian friends do not go hungry. :doublethumb:

Wonderful news. So my wife and I will be joining you for the meal as well.We plan to come over Friday night and stay at the Port Side then join the festivities on Saturday and head home in the evening.Looking forward to seeing you all there.Bob and Arlie

I dig your avatar SmartieUSA.;)

Thank you I picket that up at last years Smart rally Canada.So we need something similar for this year. YES?

Another smartie @ PSI :yahoo: Cameron & Gerri Sean & Krista Elaine Irene Bob and Arlie Ken & Wendy

I dig your avatar SmartieUSA.;)

Thank you I picket that up at last years Smart rally Canada.So we need something similar for this year. YES?
Having made it, I recognized it right away. I took this year off;however, next year we may be having a track event!

Re: The insurance... you can never be too safe, and what if you are too ill, or worse, INJURED to be taken back to Canada. Case in point - this happened to a friends 7 year old last week... visiting Canada from the USA - he tripped and got a branch/stick in the eye... super serious injury....True - 2 hours from border, but still, not good at all....Re: The weekendMy car may make an appearance, but maybe not... the ferry situation needs to be ideal. Actually we're camping right by the terminal on Whidbey.

Gent - whats le plan for getting to joyce? My internet is working today! WOOT!

Hi Guys, Just a ferry update. The MV Illahee had been in temporary service when it had a steering problem Sunday morning. This was the cause of the three hour delays. Monday the MV Nisquallly returned to normal service so the wait times should be back to normal.

Current wait times can be found at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

smartzuuk, you are lucky as you can park your car in the ferry line and the wait at your campsite until the boat shows up.

The ferry portion of the trip is only 30 min. Cait, you will have tro drive the rest of the way.While I think of it everybody should try to bring their fold up chairs as there aren't many places to sit in Joyce unless you want to stand all day.

Ferry trip is nice and scenic as well.For chairs - I would suggest buying some of those ones that fold up into a bag in Port Angeles - they are dirt cheap and saves hauling them from home etc. I am sure SmartieYank could use a few more if you don't want to haul them home - that's our plan any ways :biglaugh: We can do a chair run when we get over there.Cheers,Cameron

You will need to make a reservation to get the Coho from Victoria to Port Angeles! Get on it quick as it fills up really fast this time of year and they don't have that many sailings -

http://www.cohoferry.com/

You can reserve on line and you need to be at the terminal at least 90 minutes ahead on this side to pre-clear US Customs and Immigration - it is only an hour ahead on the flip trip.

Cheers,

Cameron

Thanks, I figured. I'm just trying to figure out the math. Looks like the 9 am from Tsawwassen and the 3 PM from Victoria.Blech. I dunno.It's a 5 hour drive, or 8 hour of ferries and killing time. Probably cheaper to drive as well.What do you think Cait?

Joyce_driving.pdf

Sean, Krista, Glasslady and my self are booked on the 3:00 Coho ferry. If you need anymore info let me know.Elaine

the edmonds - kingston ferry is only 15 bucks...apparently holds 400 cars.. much cheaper than the $126 US return Coho ferry plus the $80 for the BC ferry....Driving is more fun than floating...

um... i choose the cheapest option. probably driving. 5 hours is NOTHIN'although I wouldn't mind a little 15 dollar ferry action. I just don't know how to get to edmonds...but from what I remember, BC ferries likes to take you for all you've got - and more. And I don't like that.

Gent and Cait, I would highly recommend that you drive and take the Edmonds/Kingston ferry. It cuts about 75 miles off the trip and costs less than $15 per car each way. You also avoid all the Seattle/Tacoma traffic. This ferry runs about every 40 min. so unless at rush hour with the commuter traffic, the waits are short.The Victoria/Port Angeles ferry is about $45 per car each way and only runs few times a day. I don't know the schedule or cost of the Tsawwassen ferry.

For those of us with GPS'S do we have an address for SmarieYank?Are we counting down yet?Thanks Elaine