Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie Eddie Eddie

Northwest Territories...

72 posts in this topic

Inuvik is on my list... that however will be a north to south trip.

BTW - Cross Canada trips should at least include all ten provinces. I added Labrador for bonus points. I didn't have two months to do this, although I was going to journey via Prince Rupert at one point.

Sometimes I think that the centre of the universe is out of touch with the outlying portions.

Ain't that always the case? :cheeky:

Welcome, yukoner! Good to have you on board (the first from north of 60, I believe). I'll be interested to hear more about your smart experiences up in YK. Please feel free to tell us a little more about yourself and your car in our Introductions section.

You mentioned at least one other smart up in Whitehorse. Have you spotted any more up there?

Cheers!

Hmm... Drove to Inuvik in June. Loved it! Best trip we've ever taken!

Haven't driven to Yellowknife in the winter, though. I'd definitely recommend a spare tire! What month you talking??

Hey, I have a feeling you might have posted about it elsewhere, but would you mind sharing some of the details of your trip? I'd love to head up there some day, somewhere in Nunavut.

-Iain

Where oh where are you going to drive to in Nunavut? Or more importantly, how?

I had a crazy idea to send my car to Iqualuit, BTW. (I did say crazy didn't I?)

C'mon. Its no biggie. Some of us even live here.

BTW: Cross Canada trips should start in Beaver Creek YT, or Inuvik NWT. Victoria isn't even very far west.

I just went through whitehorse for the second time this morning, and only found this post again now. I am passing through again in a few days onthe way back from Alaska and will buy the coffee if you bring the smart! I will be at this hotel with internet till friday eary am so if you are free, let me know! You might have even seen the blue streak crusing by! (my S-10 PU, with the red honda in back)

:banghead: I could not make it to Inuvik, MWT. The road at Yukon/NWT boader and north was closed due to a blizzard and the ice bridge was not ready yet. They estimated next weekend for the ice bridge to inuvik to be open so...I drove to the Arctic Circle took some pics and turned around, :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The road was wide open to eagle plains, with some drifting in a few places. The drifts were 3feet on the high side tapering down to nothing almost at the other side of the road. I was able to get through then easily, as it was about -20 F and crashing into them was like hitting a soft pillow. Yes, it was DARK, so crash is the right word. It was completly dark and the wind was howling, I would estimate 40MPH, I have it on video! I was taking video of the wind blowing the snow acrossing the road when the drift popped up. I will try to post the file on my site and leave a link here. The road was completly cover with snow the entire way, and the only gravel was what they dropped for traction. Conditions were great, fuel stations are few, and I had an extra 13 gallons and only used 5 gallons, even though I did not shut the truck off for 3 days straight, sleeping in the vehicle and leaving it running for the heat. I brought chains, did not come close to needing them and I had the stock tires that came on the truck when new. They are a standard M+S tire. If several vehicles make the trip together, it should be a piece of cake. One spare would be enough, the main concern for me was fuel. It will be the worst MPG you get.

And BTW, the few fuel stations are open less hours a day then a bank! one opened at 11am!!! There were few places to stay, and to be truefull, I would rather stay in my car then those motels... Good luck and I wish I could make the trip!

You should have fun. It is a little scary on the way up and I felt like an expert on the way back down! One idea I had after making the trip was to have 2 spares with chains on them allready so a simple tire change and your set. My chains are not easy to put on and are much easier to install when the tires are off the car.

Yup I'll be in town tomorrow, what hotel are you in? Watch for Grey/Black pure from around 9am. Probably around 10 we'll be in the Tim Hortons across from Shipyards park, same parking lot as Pizza hut. We'll be the two old buggers in the corner nursing our coffee.

Hey Eddie - why stop at Inuvik? There is an ice road to Tuktoyuktuk - used to be when I worked for Dome - pretty sure that Gulf would still be doing it. You should be fine - just load the smart on the back of a Unimog - piece of cake! Plus being up that high the polar bears wouldn't try to eat you/mate with you (white cars only - near sighted bear).

Seriously though - if you do go - prepare - a satellite phone, gps and shortwave radio would be very good ideas. That and 2 spare tires, enough extra fuel to run the engine for a day, an Arctic survival kit, extra heater (don't think the electric boost one is going to be enough). File a flight plan with the RCMP - and let the CBC know so they can put it on the announcements - "Suzie - Bill will be at the river on Tuesday - you can get a ride with him to the doctor; Eddie - Peep is hiding from the polar bears behind the bank".

Remember too - Liquid Speed does freeze - and the Arctic winter is very very dark.

Cheers,

Cameron

Peep has the sat phone, and sat nav (which I'm getting as well)...

Now I wanna add to the itenirary Tuktoyuktuk, but only cause I like how that name sounds...

If you were here watching me next to the computer right now... You'd hear me saying Tuktoyuktuk a million times over... :)

I'm wondering if we should pull some kinda mini sleigh as a trailer for our gear...

And that in car heater, would be HANDY at keeping the Liquid Speed from becoming Liquid Ice!

Eddie

http://www.espar.com/htm/applies/pickup.htm

One of these might help - not sure where you could mount it.

This would be good too!

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_dfh..._dfh_intro.html

Don't go yellin' Tuktoyaktuk (sorry mis-spelt the first time) at any bank machines though - they might shoot you!

http://www.tuk.ca/

http://siempre.arcus.org/4DACTION/wi_alias_fsDrawPage/1/41

Road: Winter access only. To reach Tuktoyaktuk you must drive on the Ice Road, which is the frozen Mackenzie River plowed to allow for vehicles to drive on it. The drive on this ice road from Inuvik is approximately 150 km and takes up to 3 hours. This road is subject to severe weather conditions and should not be driven without calling 800-661-0752 for information on road conditions

Also Tuk used to be dry - no alcohol - not sure about Liquid Speed.

To think - Tuk used to be south for me - and civilzation - looked pretty good after a couple of months at sea.

Be sure to get a tee-shirt for the local university - Tuk U!

Cheers,

Cameron

Be sure to get a tee-shirt for the local university - Tuk U!I always wanted one from the Sachs Harbour Institute of Technology.

My Tuk shirt is long since worn out - I never did snag a Sachs Harbour one (been offshore of Banks Island though - real contrast to the normal tundra). I will see if one of the family kept theirs in pristine condition. Maybe we need to offer a prize - first person that drives to Tuk - wears a Tuk shirt outside a recognizable landmark - wins. Not just the drive but outside in a tee-shirt is going to be a challenge!Cheers,Cameron

After a ridiculous number of 277s, I managed a 319.9. I find that screaming "eat bat, penguin bastard!" helps with distance.

I'm in - 321! Might even agree to be the chase vehicle in the Jeep.

Cheers,

Cameron

Someone has to haul tires - don't think they stock them in Inuvik LOL.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Besides I have always wanted to do the Dempster - the Wife not so much so - I would have to leave her the smart. You guys might have to wait for me at the fueling stations though. I have a rubicon rack I built and a reciever hitch rack so some room for extra stuff.

Cheers,

Cameron

I soooo would like to drive the ice bridge! Northern lights... Do you think this trip is really do-able in a smart??? We can't even keep it warm enough inside to keep the windows defrosted in cold weather!

I don't think the snow will be a problem as it really doesn't get much snow up there. But the cold... We had to get smartmove to boost us as my better half ran the battery down when it got really cold. Do you think they'd bail us out in Nunavut??

I'll be watching to see if there is a serious trip planned for Feb '07. (Contemplating if we have enough down sleeping bags to keep warm in the car. Hmmm, need a fuel can, block heater, in-car heater??....)

We've been in Nunavut for the summer solstice a few years back and the people there are very warm and friendly. Nobody sleeps in the summer up there - did you know that? Well, the sun is up all day - why sleep? I bet they hibernate in the winter though!!