Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

Dang's New Wheel (not wheels, wheel !)

41 posts in this topic

Gang...

Thought I would show off the latest effort to slowly replace every piece of my car.

The Brabus wheel is slightly smaller, a whole bunch fatter, and is like gripping the ultimate arcade game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thanx: Later!

Dang

Very cool. How are the ergonomics? Better than the paddles? same?

It invites fast driving for some reason. I keep thinking I'm in a video arcade. The ergonomics seem good. Some people like fat wheels, some like thin. This is obviously a fat sucker, so if you like that, you'll love the wheel. Is what better than the paddles??? It has basically the same paddles as the regular wheel, though I noticed they seemed "slightly" further away, which is good for my hands. If your referring to the two "dots" on either side of the wheel, those are actually horn buttons.Later! Dang

ooooooh. I totally misunderstood. I thought the buttons replaced the paddles.Ok! Slick design.

Very nice! always one step ahead! heh..I've been eyeing one of those brabus steering wheels... <drooling>

I like it. That should come standard in the nightrun. But since it doesn't, all nightrun owners whould get one, hehe.

i think that looks cool. back in the day, early 80's, i drove a camaro, one feature stood out, the replaced steering wheel with a shorter, fatter version. it was like driving a friggin go-kart, i loved the feeling of it. now i want one for my smart, even if it does look a little bulky. as mike t asks, so do i...if you dont mind, how much for that, and where did you get it from? (pm me if you dont want to broadcast it to everyone, but enquiring minds want to know !!)

Yep, driving a go-kart describes it exactly!

It's fat wheel, so can understand some may not like that. Personally it's great fun.

You can get them from misterstevendotcom.

Link to Brabus wheel...

Expensive, but considering the regular wheel from the dealer is $1,105 it's not so bad.

It easy to install. All you need is a T40 Torx T handle. Be ultra sure you disconnect your battery before unplugging your air bag.

Two things of note. If you have paddles already they work fine. If you currently don't have paddle shifters, you will likely need a TAN code from the dealer to activate them. Also, you "might" get Brake/ABS/Traction control warning lights after you install it. If so, have your dealer do a "Calibrate steering angle sensor" procedure and all will be good.

Later!

Dang

yikes !! sorry, i guess my head is still in 80's mode, i remember my cool steering wheel being much less than that, i wonder if auto parts place has a similar small wheel at a better price point? man, $1500 plus tax for a steering wheel is wicked. MUST...WIN...LOTTERY...

buddha...Yeah, lotteries help. Problem now is it includes the air bag, steering electronics, sensors, etc. Gone are the days where a wheel was just a piece of metal someone welded together. Interesting on the smart is you cannot "repair" the wheels at all. Even if it's just the "horn" button that breaks, they have to change the entire wheel.Later! Dang

Yeah, but your Camaro's wheel probably didn't have the airbag. If the Brabus wheel didn't have one, it'd probably be a lot cheaper. My wheel is getting occasional nicks in the leather (i think they're from the tungsten rings that me & the missus wear) so i may have to look at eventually getting my wheel re-covered or replaced. That Brabus wheel is damn hot, but mighty expensive. I wonder if James' leather guy can do custom steering wheel skins. A leather/Alcantara two-tone wheel would look pretty hot.

$1500.00? No wonder smart 142 thought I was a cheapskate when I refused to pay him $300.00 for his. :lol:

yeah i must be getting old, completely forgot about not having airbags etc back then, that is one sweet steering wheel but 1500 plus install and tax is way too pricey for my liking, unless i had the money to spare then bring it on !! looks great.

Glad you are happy with it Dan!When it arrived and I had a look at it, I had a good mind to say, "oops... sorry Dan but it got lost in shipping" :) It looks pretty sweet!It does seem pricey, sure... but considering the cost of the stock setup its not really that outrageous.I can get more for anyone that wants one... but at that price its not something I'll be keeping in stock so order ahead. I have a feeling Mr. G's going to enjoy exclusivity for awhile :)Cheers. - Steven

I have a feeling Mr. G's going to enjoy exclusivity for awhile

oh do i hear a challenge? hmmmm.. <reaching for my visa card and getting smartieparts webpage loaded> :tongue3:

Hehe... that's not what I was trying to do, but if it works: First one to spend $20k gets a free kitten! - Steven

HMMMMMMM a free kitten you say!!!! sounds interesting :tremble: What do I need/want? :smirk: Derek

Hey!Where's my free kitten????Actually I'd probably pay to not have a kitten. I have furniture, I like it......Buy the wheel.....you know you want it! Dang