Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robhawley

Ultra Diesel vs regular

3 posts in this topic

First off - the owner's manual says to NOT use ANY additives in the fuel.

If you read the literature for the Ultra D, you'll see the only thing that makes it "ultra" is additives. It has the same sulphur content and same cetane rating, if I recall (correct me please, if I'm mistaken).

Second - there is no reason for it to be more expensive. Mohawk's "Diesel-Max" contains the same additives and is often less expensive, or at the most equal to the other station's regular D.

While I know there are far too many variables to be scientific here, I personally "feel" like the Diesel-Max gets me better mileage than the others. The shell Ultra-Diesel seemed to actually reduce my mileage. But again, that's really just unvalidated "feel" because I think I only tried the Shell once, compared to dozens of fills at Mohawk.

Back to your question though... is it worth it? I don't think so. Should you avoid it (because the manual says no additives)? Again, I don't think so.

- Steven

I think the whole "no additives" in the manual is a CYA type of thing...

My GM manual says the same thing too... Yet at the dealership, there are GM branded additives for oil, tranny, and fuel...

I've had good experience with Diesel-Max, but that's more of a placebo effect...

So far its the same as the price I pay anywhere else...

What can I say, I'm a sucker for advertising!

Eddie