Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart65

.com vs. .ca in website url

13 posts in this topic

I had the impression that some problems are solved by using ".ca", rather than ".com" in the website address. I've always used ".ca", but a reference on a flyer for the Niagara rally uses ".com". Is there any difference now?

Probably doesn't make much of a difference.The account is probably under the .ca as the main domain, but has the .com also forwarded to it.

Considering we're starting to draw a lot more of an international audience, particularly from the USA, i think it might be a good idea to standardize on the ".com".

Both domains should work fine - it's best to stick with one and not mix both up though, due to the cookies on the board.The current static site will work perfect using either domain.

I mean any external communications that show the URL (stickers, t-shirts, event promo information, "spotted" cards, etc.) should default to the ".com" rather than the ".ca".

I disagree.I believe that this site was started by Canadians for Canadians. Just as spritmonitor was created by Germans and uses .de I believe clubsmartcar.ca should remain as the main URL for this club. It is no fault of ours that others may assume it is .com or even .org.I feel so strongly about this that I would purposely NOT purchase anything with the CSC logo on it if it were to have .com instead of the proper and original .ca.That's just how I feel about it. I realize that more and more people from other countries are joining the site, but that does not change the history and the beginings of this club. We are and will forever be a Canadian club, albeit with international members.And for the record, there is no difference for me in terms of performance or speed between .ca and .com so I am unsure as to why this is even a question...?

There shouldn't be a performance difference because they both point to the same server. :)I like .ca better, but if people remember .com, it will work too. We aren't really a "commercial" site per se, but neither are a lot of other sites that use .com.

I'm 100% with Cait!I think that as we get more and more Americans signing up (which is great!), the importance of maintaining the .ca identity for our herratige is vital.-Iain

If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that most references are from a Canadian perspective. For example, mpg is not the US version (unless specified), SI measurements are common, frequent references to Canadian localities and issues without stating province or country, diesel models predominate (for now), etc.On websites, you often have to dig around to find the country in which the site is based. Knowing that information allows you to evaluate opinions, prices and statements of fact more critically.

I enjoy the .ca (my father was born in Canada). I on the other hand was born and grew up in the other CA located just south of the State of Oregon and I get confused so easily.