Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoySkyBell

Smart Car hit by SUV - Bud_Colby

22 posts in this topic

I hope that it is not inappropriate for me to post this. I received this PM from Bud's son. If anyone would like to contact his son, you can send me a PM and I'll pass his email address on to you as soon as I get his permission.

------------------------------

Hello Royskybell,

To avoid immediate confusion I would like to introduce myself. My Name is Sean and I am the eldest Son of Bud Colby. Bud has asked me to seek you out through your website club to inform you of an accident he had early this morning July 21, 2005 at approximately 8am Alberta Time.

As usual my father heads off to work in the early AM and has a short commute of approximately 20 minutes by way of highway travel to work. Just short of his destination this morning Bud was side swiped at full highway speed by another vehicle traveling in the same direction which ended up picking his car up and in turn, due to the speed and direction in which he was launched sent the car into a roll. It is believed and described from witness account that the car rolled over once completely and then attempted another roll and came to a rest on the driver?s side of the car.

The Vehicle which caused the accident was an SUV, a KIA Sorrento to be specific. As both vehicles sustained a great deal of damage it is quite apparent that any one that was to look at either vehicle would have rather been in the Smart car. The driver which caused the accident had fallen asleep at the wheel and by witness account made a sharp and abrupt turn directly into the Smart car and the rest is history.

At risk of sounding insensitive it is quite the opposite, it should be noted that the other driver was rushed to the hospital aswell but details as per his condition are currently unavailable as we have not herd or even seeked any information as to his condition due to our circumstances. Amongst the wreckage, beer cans were spotted all around and over within the KIA. Hence, alcohol may have been a factor but has not been confirmed at this time. It has been brought to my attention but, at this point is an unverified fact that the other driver has been charged with reckless driving, illegal possession of alcohol and being tested for impairment.

As you can see by the attached photos the car is a complete wreck and is surely a write off. I should also state that the pictures do not show or give justice to the condition of the car. While most importantly the frame had maintained itself the rest of the car is in shambles. Once a cute little car it is now a complete and total waste of material.

Upon arrival of the wreck the worst was feared as my father was found unconscious lying on his side with his head at rest upon the side air bag and his left arm or hand was trapped under the vehicle. Due to some scrapes and abrasions blood was also present within areas of the car and on Bud aswell.

As to be expected Bud fell in and out of consciousness and was quite incoherent earlier today, he is now in stable condition and is being monitored closely in our local hospital.

Bud was rushed to hospital by ambulance only to be flown to another city due to equipment malfunction within our local hospital and later returned home by plane once the test was completed. The CT scan found that there were some blood spots on the brain which was an immediate cause for concern.

Bud has been doing much better as the day has gone on. The Trauma to his Brain which showed the slight bleeding or blood spots seems to have subsided as his vitals and movement have grown in a positive manner as the day progressed.

Bud has asked me to mention that you are more than welcome to share his story along with the images on the club forum. With all due respect I ask that if you decide to share his story and images that you share based only on the facts provided to you in my letter.

I have also been in touch with Mr. Rod Bader from the Calgary Dealership. I managed to reach him via his cell phone while on a short vacation with his family in BC. I have personally shared all information with him therefore Rod is well aware of the facts and details of the accident. It should also be noted that I found Rod to be a very respectful individual to speak with, both passing on his best to Bud and indicating he would do the best he could to help him with a replacement as soon as he returned home. Thank you Rod!

Bud has also indicated that he will be in touch with you as soon as he gets out of the hospital for both an update and to discuss his situation as per his scheduled trip on the Club Smart Car Rally or Vacation to Waterton. Where he realizes that a replacement will not be received by the planned date of travel he indicated that he plans to search for or seek out a dealership or rental agency which will be able to provide a Smart car for the trip as it is extremely important to him to attend.

In closing let it be known that Bud and his family are convinced and thankful that the Smart car saved his life today.

Best Regards,

Sean

post-23-1122084256.jpg

post-1-1122084256.jpg

post-1-1122084257.jpg

Oh My God!

Please give Bud & his family our warmest wishes for a speedy recovery!

I will go out and kiss my little Smart!

Please if you can provide a mailing address I am sure there is a lot of Smarties that would like to send a card etc.

Bud: hoping to see you up and well real soon!

:flowers:

I'm reluctant to publish his email address on the internet, and since he didn't post it himself...

Glad to hear he is doing well. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Hate to see this happen, but it gives some comfort as to the safety of the smart fortwo. Even more happy to hear that he's already thinking about getting in another fortwo.

Thanks for sharing.

What a horrible, horrible nightmare!

Sean, thanks for sharing the story, and send Bud our best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Please keep us informed on Bud's condition. That is the first and foremost important thing.

How about we start a dedicated topic for Get Well wishes. It's not a card, but it is a way to get us all together on a group effort.

After a day or two, Sean can print it out for Bud.

:ballons:

Well, we could start another thread and split the well-wishes from this one.

Spinner, you're the admin, go for it!

I'm sure glad it sounds like Bud should come out of this one all right! Thanks for letting us know Sean!

- Steven

At risk of sounding insensitive it is quite the opposite...

Sean

Along that same line, I don't mean to be insensitive either, but did you happen to see the other vehicle, or a picture of it? It sounds like a very strange accident (going the same direction).

It is sad to hearing someone we know got into an accident. Take it easy Bud and have a speedy recovery

:ballons: Hi Bud and Sean,I am so grateful to hear that Bud is ok, and survived what surely must have been one of the most frightful experiences of his life. It gives me great pride to know that because of his good sense to be driving a smart car, he has lived to tell his tale. Best wishes and a speedy recovery from the West Broadway smart Dealership. Lisa Powellps- i will do my best to search my inventory to find a similar car, if someone could let me know his options!

:ballons: Hi Bud and Sean,...Lisa Powellps- i will do my best to search my inventory to find a similar car, if someone could let me know his options!

To the best of my recollection it was:Passion coupe, Silver Tridion On Grey (STAG), softouch, air conditioning. Not certain about other options. I bet Mike knows.

I didn't have Bud's options, though from the crash photos it is evident that the car has a sunroof. Bud can post them himself or by proxy soon anyway. Lisa, thanks for the help!Edit - that's no sunroof - it's the stongard vinyl at the leading edge of the broken glass, d'oh! Sorry Bud!

I think Bud will think his options were just what he needed. :thumbup: They kept him safe and able to drive another day.Get well soon Bud. We have a smart gathering to meet at someday.Peep and Laura

What a story, I am so sorry to read of the accident. I had heard the smart car is nicknamed the "steel walnut" and those photos really show just how little the actual silver frame was damaged, particualarly round the driver - had Bud been in another small car it would have been totally crushed from top to bottom and he probably wouldn't have survived the rolling.Anyway, thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery, and that justice be served on the man who caused the accident.Do please keep us posted briefly as to when Bud is up and about again.Anne

Sean, I hope your Dad recovers fully and becomes as healthy as he was before the accident. I would have liked to have seen the SUV picture. FYI, The Driving Force rents smart cars in Alberta. Contact The Driving Force for details. Andres

Maybe this accident should be brought to comedienne Heidi Foss' attention?

It's alleged she joked at the Montr?al "Just For Laughs" comedy festival: "I ran into one of those Smart cars ..... Totally crushed it ..... My bike's fine."

WOW.......... just got back from camping with the wife and kids and saw this, hope everyone is doing well and glad to see that the car did it's job, although it is sad to see the car so

Bud- I was wondering if you were travelling on a 2 lane highway. Do you remember how fast you were going? Just curious.