Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoySkyBell

How To: Modify the smart car key

15 posts in this topic

I've done both. The lock button on the fob sticks up higher than the other two and can be accidently activated. The directions are good and easy to follow. If you're thinking of taking the key out of the fob you will have to have another key cut. The smart key on it's own is narrow and very difficult to turn when in the ignition.The ILCOX83-MB39 works well and is available from the local locksmith. :beerchug:

Forgot to mention in my last post-after opening the fob the key is held in by a plasic pin.I tried pulling it out with no success and eventually just drilled it out.

I've had the car since december and the battery is still going strong. And the size of the key isnt really a problem for me because I collet key chains, so all my life i've had the bulkiest keys ever! usually i have mroe key chains than keys, but I recently discovered the wonders of a lanyard (which I got at the auto show in detroit. It says open your mind and has a picture of each model of the smart 42 and 44s on it.) With this i can put the ulky part in m purse and leave the other part stickign out of my purse a bit and all i have to do is look for "open your mind" to see if i've got my keys.

I thought I'd posted this before.

It's information someone has put on the internet explaining how to stop your battery from wearing out and how to reduce bulk on the key.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/keymod.htm

Again, i'm glad I can help.

I am a member now, my name is Kane so can I stop being a "someone" now? :biglaugh:

Hey Kane! Thanks for those instructions! Very well done. Now I've got to do the same for my alarm remote because it will activate when I'm carrying it in my pocket.

:beerchug:

Can you explain in english what that is?

TFM....

It replaces your ignition lock with a button. Assumably your car can't be stolen with the immobilizer active I guess.

Later!

Dang

I'm sorry but how impossibly difficult will it be to turn the ignition tumbler when the key slice is removed from the fob like that? Why would anyone do that? You're taking the effective working diameter of the mechanism down by like a factor of 10.-Iain

unless you do something like mine and make a knob for the blade itself, then you have a solid big knob makes the key hidden and fob you can carry on you and leave the actual key in the car