Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sketch

Is your A/C failing?

For those who have owned their smart for a year, is your A/C failing?   193 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, it is failing
    • No, it is not failing
    • Not Voting

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

432 posts in this topic

Hi,I posted this in another category. It has more relevance here, so I'll chime in:I lost my air conditioning over the first Edmonton winter. It worked perfectly the previous Summer. I took it in to DMFC thinking it was an obvious warranty job. They called me and said "We can't find any leaks, you're a/c fluid is low, and fluids are not covered under warranty.". I explained that it worked fine the previous Summer, was less than one year old, and perhaps they needed to revisit their leak-detection methodology, but I realized I had no other choice but to pay the $120 to top it up. After hanging up the phone and stewing for about 15 minutes, I went over to DMFC with some pertinent questions in mind, but by the time I arrived the service receptionist told me they had found the leak and warranty covered the fix. I did not get the impression that a lead had in fact been found. I am strongly suspicious that this time next year I will be paying $120 to have air conditioning for another year, since by that time my km will be over the warranty threshold. I do certainly think that I will be mentioning my thoughts to the service manager, and pressing them to fix, with no charge, this pre-existing problem same time next year.Patrick

... I did not get the impression that a lead had in fact been found. I am strongly suspicious that this time next year I will be paying $120 to have air conditioning for another year, since by that time my km will be over the warranty threshold.

Patrick,Entirely possible, cuz.Time to contact JoAnne Caza - by now MB/smart Headquarters' new testing and repair procedures, announced on May 25th, should be in place to effect a permanent repair of your a/c ....... :tomatos: Bil :sun:

This is the third time in 3 years my AC quit.They fixed it two weeks ago and it blew cold for one day.Last time they also told me I would be charged for the service, if no problem was found.After a heavy discussion and the threat that if I had to pay, I would see the Owner of the dealership and the Service Manager in small claims court.They then discovered a O ring was leaking.That fix lasted one day.Now they tell me that the ball joints have excessive wear (warranty)also I need new rotors and brake pads estimated cost $500.00, this is at 50k clicks.I like my smart but ?

I have been dealing at Barrie Fine Cars (Barrie On) I purchased the car from themWhen I said, if you can't fix phone MB in Toronto they told me it was against their company policy to phone Mercedes. Not a pleasant experiance.

The stock A/C sucks. There are lots of threads on it now, but you should implement the Duracool solution.$15, and it works better than it ever will from Mercedes.-Iain (loves me sum Duracool! Thanks again Dave!!)

My car was in for an A service at Oakville today. I didn't complain about the a/c, but they checked it anyway. They detected a leak and have ordered the pipes required. It was performing well before, but now seems anemic. On my way home, I called in at Lorne Park Car Centre. I asked Reto, the owner, if he'd heard of Duracool. He had, and says it's a good product ("it's only propane"). He has it in stock and will install it, or supply the installation kit, if desired. He's located in an industrial mall at 2133 Royal Windsor Drive, backing on the Clarkson GO station parking lot. His phone number is 905.823.8787.

Copied from the "is your ac failing" thread.My car was in for an A service at Oakville today. I didn't complain about the a/c, but they checked it anyway. They detected a leak and have ordered the pipes required. It was performing well before, but now seems anemic. On my way home, I called in at Lorne Park Car Centre. I asked Reto, the owner, if he'd heard of Duracool. He had, and says it's a good product ("it's only propane"). He has it in stock and will install it, or supply the installation kit, if desired. He's located in an industrial mall at 2133 Royal Windsor Drive, backing on the Clarkson GO station parking lot. His phone number is 905.823.8787.

I'm so glad to here more of you going this route with success. Today it was sunny and 32 degrees. I tried my A/C and it was plenty cold. BTW, the smart I rented in England always had really cold working air.

As mentioned in a previous post, I was in for an A service at Oakville on Monday and parts were ordered for the a/c system at that time. Today (10:30am Wednesday) I got a call to inform me that the parts are in. Smart/M-B must have ordered a large amount some time ago in order to address the a/c shortcoming in all smarts. I'm scheduled to take it in next Monday. As of now, I haven't gone the Duracool route, but it is probably in my future.

I'm on the phone with Oakville right now to find out what's up.... (my car's in right now for an A service and to get the parking brake fixed and I do NOT want my A/C touched!!)-Iain

AC fixed under warranty!They found a leak at the rear end of the high pressure line. The system was completly empty.They replaced the high and low pressure lines, some O rings.I have attached a PDF of the relevant bits of the work order if anyone is interested.DDR

2007_06_28_Smart_AC_Repair.pdf

Just got it fixed at Midtown in Toronto, workorder attached to my post (Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 am) on the "Is your A/C failing?" thread. The mods should merge some of these threads together!DDR

Even in this recent 30-34 degree heat lately, I have been lucky to only even to have to use one led on the ac.It just dishes out loads of cold air. Hope it stays like this.Maybe it helps that my windows are deep tinted and no glass roof.

Even in this recent 30-34 degree heat lately, I have been lucky to only even to have to use one led on the ac.It just dishes out loads of cold air. Hope it stays like this.Maybe it helps that my windows are deep tinted and no glass roof.

Yup, I would say for sure if you have a solid roof car and tint, you would have the coldest smart possible.

As suggested by one of our members, I have merged the "Air Conditioner Quit" thread with this one.

Even in this recent 30-34 degree heat lately ..... Maybe it helps that my windows are deep tinted and no glass roof.

I bet the hat helps a lot too! Posted Image:cheeky:

-pf

:croak:

today i had my duracool r12a installed and its 87 degrees f outside and the vent air is 60 f or 15.5c.....what a difference...thanks Deisel Dave for the instructions.

Hmm, I get vent air at under 10 degrees C on R134A.

it drops if the outside air is cooler...was it 87 outside? 10C...that's good and cold...I just rechecked it and is around 10.5C but its not as hot outside now

I installed the DuraCool kit based on the directions given to me online, and on the box...Currently it is colder, MUCH colder than it's ever been from brand new...I checked the pressures after the install and it was much too high... It's now adjusted so that with the compressor running, it's at 25psi and 45 with the compressor off...I know that's low, and BARELY within the range for DuraCool... But any higher, and then it goes into the orange or red warning zones while the compressor's off...The only problem I'm having right now is that my compressor clutch is not cycling on/off... It just stays on and blows REAL cold air...Did I just cook my air conditioner?Should I NOT use it on my holidays to the Grand Canyon tomorrow for fear of a meltdown (both the car and I)???Eddie

Eddie....You can't check the pressure when the compressor is not engaged. Wait for it to engage, and then read the gauge. 25 is a bit low, but sounds fine. The pressure will increase a bunch when the compressor kicks out, that's normal.Later! DangEdit:Actually if your compressor stays engaged, you might be too low.Edit 2:...and how exactly did you "adjust it". You should probably read through the instructions that came with the kit I think.....

My smart was just in for its second anual a/c repair. (When it gets hot enough to need it it doesn't work)the service guy said it is a known fault with the smarts, but not subject to a recall since it is not a safety or environmental issue.The lines were leaking and new improved ones are on orderAfter my warrenty runs out I may check out other options.-smartmom

It's beginning to appear that perhaps the most common fault/leak is in the high-pressure line from compressor (attached to the engine) to the condenser coil (in front of the colling rad at the front of the car).

According to what we read from smart, the seals on either end of this line are not available separately, so they must replace the entire run of tubing. Is the tubing itself failing, or is just these integral seals? Probably the seals, I think.

And why are the seals leaking? OK, the manual does tell us to run the a/c for a short time every week (meaning 52 weeks a year) in order to lubricate the seals and keep them flexible, but we live in C A N A D A .... Hellooo! For several months every year, the weather is too cold for the a/c to work. So unless we are lucky enough to have heated parking, or live in warmer zones like Vancouver Island, the a/c will leak every summer. Every. Summer.

But I digress... back to vibration...

We know how much the CDi engine vibrates - far more than the petrol by all accounts. So is it possible that the rear a/c seals and "o"ring fittings at the compressor are susceptible to weakening from vibration/flexion/movement and therefore extra prone to leak? Of all the repairs done so far, is this pair of fittings the one that is usually found leaking? Who knows! :dunno:

Is it possible that an automotive a/c tech could weld new ends on the tubes with better seals that wouldn't dry out and leak? We used to do this in residential a/c all the time but I don't know about automotive.

Thoughts?

Bil :sun: