Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sketch

Is your A/C failing?

For those who have owned their smart for a year, is your A/C failing?   193 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, it is failing
    • No, it is not failing
    • Not Voting

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

432 posts in this topic

You can get Red Tek at Canuck Tire and Duracool at Princess Auto.Can someone tell me if running AC at Max for too long can damage it or anything else? Mine works but it's kind of weak so twice already I've started out with it on Max then noticed it was still on Max half an hour later because I happened to look at the pushbutton. I don't notice any difference between it Max or not but I figured Max would make the car cool faster.

The Max button doesn't crank up the cool any higher, really. What it does is just keep the a/c running under load where the Low setting may let it shut down at idle or if the engine is under load.But since the a/c software update in 2006, I seriously don't think there is any difference now. Short answer: no, it won't hurt anything.Slide the fresh air lever down to Recirculate to cool the car quicker.Bil :sun: Edited by bilgladstone

Does anyone know off hand what other stores carry it? (I hate going to Wal Mart)-Iain

We got a full DuraCool kit at Princess Auto; last week they were on sale. Big store in E Hamilton; maybe there's one closer to you?BTW, the kit had two cans refrigerant + 1 can quick-seal; we have just used one can refrigerant. We're saving the 2nd one just in case...Watch the instructions, they're different between the package and the can. You have to invert the can!Now Ijust have to figure out where to put the label. Edited by passionateaboutRUBY

Finally found a shelf that had 'em - we were out and about today and took a chance at the Wal Mart in Hamilton and they had a full shelf! The stores in St. Kits and Niagara both were sold out as well. Popular product!Now I have to dig up a post on how to actually charge the system... I can't remember the procedure!-Iain

We got a full DuraCool kit at Princess Auto; last week they were on sale.

The PrincessAuto sale of the kit at $60 ends June 6th. That said, you may have trouble finding the kits. I was lucky tonight and got what appeared to be the last one at the Ottawa store.Alternatively, Walmart had lots of the same kit for $85. I decided I'd do the upgrade the "proper" way and have the system evacuated first. Tried CanadianTire, but they said they wouldn't touch it (not sure why; maybe just didn't know how to find the fitting?). Anyway, ended up going back to the dealer, and they only charged $48 for the evacuate. Assuming the weather cooperates, I'll be charging it back up tomorrow night.

My warranty expired last year and guess what, yup the A/C died. This makes it #4. All the other repairs were under warranty, including the compressor last year. I went into the MB dealer last week and the service rep, after looking around to see if anyone could hear, told me to hold off till early July. It appears MB has an extended warranty fix coming. He didn't say, but I think it's new flex hoses and seals.I did ask him is this A/C failure was an MB fleet problem or just a Smart problem. He told me it's a Smart problem.Let's hope the warranty fix comes in....

I went into the MB dealer last week and the service rep, after looking around to see if anyone could hear, told me to hold off till early July. It appears MB has an extended warranty fix coming. He didn't say, but I think it's new flex hoses and seals.

"Extended warranty"? As in, it'll be covered if you forked over the cash for the extended warranty, or that they'll fix it even if the warranty has expired?I just got finished loading her up with Duracool and sealant; and she seems to be working quite nicely now. Hopefully that'll make it a non-issue for me.

My warranty expired last year and guess what, yup the A/C died. This makes it #4. All the other repairs were under warranty, including the compressor last year. I went into the MB dealer last week and the service rep, after looking around to see if anyone could hear, told me to hold off till early July. It appears MB has an extended warranty fix coming. He didn't say, but I think it's new flex hoses and seals.I did ask him is this A/C failure was an MB fleet problem or just a Smart problem. He told me it's a Smart problem.Let's hope the warranty fix comes in....

I just took my car in for a B service and the said the A/C was not working (I don't use it much) and they replaced hoses and seals, I'll post up any info from the invoice if it would help. 2006 Coupe w/ 17,000kms :rolleyes:

I just took my car in for a B service and the said the A/C was not working (I don't use it much) and they replaced hoses and seals, I'll post up any info from the invoice if it would help.

2006 Coupe w/ 17,000kms :rolleyes:

Yes please! Any part numbers, costs associated and whether the invoice mentions a "campaign" number etc. Do you have a scanner for us to see the actual invoice?

Cheers,

Bil :sin:

Anyone able to get in touch with GetSet and loan them a scanner to scan in and post the invoice? I can't get a warranty fix but I want to order the part(s) to repair the faulty design.

Today's big news:

What will be my cost for the replacement lines "recall" once these become available?

This is the best part Bill... "Nothing". MBC will be redoing the lines under a "special warranty policy" for all smartcar owners.

Most satisfactory...

Bil :sun:

Every time I've brought it in, it's either been seal replacement or hose replacement. It can fracture and leak most easily by the input. By the way there is a difference post 2006 AC SW update between max and normal. In normal mode you'll find the engine power vollies up and down much more (due to the compressor kicking in and out) whereas at MAX it seems to stay on consistently.Thornhill MB didn't seem to have any evidence that a flex-hose solution was forthcoming. He was going to look into the possibility of post-warranty repair... I highly doubt it'll be a goodwill or environmental repair though.

Just make sure that you tell them there is propane in the lines!

Bil, any time frame on when these repairs will be possible?

Ops Manager was told as of end of last week that the kits "will start 'trickling in' and spread across Canada dealers in approx 3-4 weeks." So it might be a good idea to get yourself on your local Smart Centre's a/c repair list as soon as possible.

We know some dealers have the kits in hand already and some have already been installed. And others haven't even heard of them or the newly announced "special warranty policy" to replace these a/c linesets in ALL smart cars across the country.

With a fuzzy roll-out like this, and considering the number of smarts in Canada, I really expect it will take the rest of this year and most of next before the mission is accomplished.

Realistically, I don't expect they'll get to my car until at least sometime in September.

Knowing this, and in the interim until the repair kits arrive, some dealerships appear willing to offer a free goodwill a/c service (even post-warranty!) to get you cooled off for the summer until the kits arrive. Your dealer may or may not offer this - they are not compelled to do so.

That's all I know for now.

Bil :sun:

Just make sure that you tell them there is propane in the lines!

And/or vacuum it out well and fully beforehand.B :sun:

"" QUOTE (me)What will be my cost for the replacement lines "recall" once these become available?QUOTE (MB/smart Dealership Operations Manager)This is the best part Bill... "Nothing". MBC will be redoing the lines under a "special warranty policy" for all smartcar owners.So is there a letter or something that we can refer to about this " special repair " DMFC is telling us this is no " Free Repair " and that " They are the ones that are having to absorb the cost" making so they are making us pay for half the repairs due to the leak killed the compressor

Edited by xakinedmonton

Yes please! Any part numbers, costs associated and whether the invoice mentions a "campaign" number etc. Do you have a scanner for us to see the actual invoice?

Cheers,

Bil :sin:

I'll bring it to work with me Friday and scan it and post it in the morning.

"" QUOTE (me)What will be my cost for the replacement lines "recall" once these become available?QUOTE (MB/smart Dealership Operations Manager)This is the best part Bill... "Nothing". MBC will be redoing the lines under a "special warranty policy" for all smartcar owners.So is there a letter or something that we can refer to about this " special repair " DMFC is telling us this is no " Free Repair " and that " They are the ones that are having to absorb the cost" making so they are making us pay for half the repairs due to the leak killed the compressor

Nope. As usual with MB/smart, we are not privy to internal memoranda like that and independent dealerships may demur and prevaricate (and possibly outright lie) as much as they like.Take your concern to Head Office. Though it is their habit to simply kick you back to the local dealer manager, if there is an actual corporate "special policy" in effect, they may give you the answer you are seeking.Bil :sun:

It could be a service bulletin, in which case you have to complain to have the upgrade done, or it could be a fleet-wide free courtesy upgrade, in which case (like the fitting of block heaters to early 2006 models) you would get a letter from M-B inviting you to have the work performed FOC.Obviously the latter would be better.

I'll bring it to work with me Friday and scan it and post it in the morning.

YaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaayy!!! :hotrod::thumbsup_anim::speak_cool:

So has anyone has the flex line install yet and have a invoice with the part numbers or anything on it that states it was free from MBC

The dealership fixed my A/C for the 2nd time in April 2010, still under warranty. I believe they replaced all the lines at the time.It's a year later and now my warranty is up and the A/C is dead again. I talked to my local dealership and they want $120 just to inspect the A/C system. They couldn't tell me how much it would cost to repair it but it sounded expensive.Last week, I bought the RedTek kit (Canadian Tire) but the hose would not reach the input line through the grill/light bulb hole. So I returned it and bought the Duracool kit (Walmart) and the hose fits just fine. I refilled the system with Duracool and it worked great for about 3 days, but now it's leaked out again.Should I maybe try using a sealant? I saw that Canadian Tire has:RedTek Aerosol ProSeal (4 oz) can for $26.99RedTek Aerosol Leak Stop (4 oz) can for $16.99 RedTek ProSeal 22 (3 oz) can for $21.99 Would anyone recommend any of these?Also, my kit has no instructions for what to do with the oil analyzer. What is it for?Thanks

DrZ,Some things are not worth doing yourself if you don't have the full set of necessary equipment or the proper training. Perhaps you should just take the car to Canadian Tire and get a proper leak test, professional repair, and refill with their RedTek products.Bil :senile:

So what ended up happening with this bogus recall? I am taking my in for an aircon service tomorrow morning - I booked my appointment two weeks before the one year warranty on the service from 2010 expired so they should do it for nothing... As far as I know each Aircon refil and repair is warranty'ed for a year.