Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sketch

Is your A/C failing?

For those who have owned their smart for a year, is your A/C failing?   194 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, it is failing
    • No, it is not failing
    • Not Voting

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

432 posts in this topic

Mine blew 5 to 7 degrees last year on open vent (non-recirc) so we'll see how it is this year on R134a.

Interesting. Does it come with labels to alert the next person who might be "charged" with the task of repairing your system?I remember something on Volvo bulletin boards about some alternative refrigerants and their sealing system rejuventators being tough on the reclaiming systems which are supposed to be used to evacuate the systems prior to refilling. Our car goes in tomorrow to check for leaking dye. It seems to be working right now - I will provide an update when I get it back and get some paperwork.Ian

No more M-B for me about this A/C issue - done - I'm getting this. Dave, can you send me (or better yet, post) the contact info on where to buy this, and/or who to talk to? Is it one of these?

Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted A/C so bad on my trip this weekend... so frickin' humid.

-Iain

AutoValue has it. I picked one up last night and plan to try it in the next couple of days. Of course I'm "assuming" mine is empty since it no longer does anything...... Dang

I did a quick test in 20 degree weather today (top was down)...I got 9 to 10 degrees on non-recirc, that's close to what it was last year. So far so good.

Well Mike, if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. I would imagine that if it's not cold though, your system is empty and ready for nice quick do it yourself charge of Duracool. Iain, that link you posted is where you will find your contact man. I chose Point Zero Services. It is run by Stan who operates from his home. I went to see him in Toronto's west end at 9pm. He has everything you need. Make sure you use only one 6 oz can. I went for a short drive tonight in 27C weather. Still blowing cold.

I was looking around the Victoria Wal-Mart on the weekend and in the automotive section they had a shelf full of Dura-Cool products. Check it out.

Dave....Is there a way to get at the connection without taking the front off?, or is that what you did?Thanks! Dang

Dave....Is there a way to get at the connection without taking the front off?, or is that what you did?Thanks! Dang

Yup. Remove the front grill. Remove the passenger side fog light (it's the turn signal if your car is Canadian spec), the fitting is behind the light. Easy access.

Thanks so much guys for this, I'll let you know how it goes! Might be able to swing by a Wal-Mart sometime tonight.-Iain

Much appreciated Dave!I'll be trying this tonight. I went to do it last night, then realized the fitting behind the grille is the high pressure side, so stopped there.I got a gauge as well (I splurged), so will try to see what the reading is after the can is in.Thanks again! Dang

I'll be trying this tonight. I went to do it last night, then realized the fitting behind the grille is the high pressure side, so stopped there.

Whoahwhoahwhoah, whatwhat? Okay I need some hand-holding here. :)Is the fitting where I'm dumping this stuff in (is the can compressed or something?) the little black nobbie behind the right turn signal? Do I just unscrew that and jam the hose thing on? Is there a one-way valve in there or something that prevents the refrigerant from coming back out?-Iain

Duck....I'm not an A/C expert by any stretch, but my understanding is:A/C has a high pressure and low pressure side. You'll notice when you remove your grille out there is a connection nice and easy to get at right on the condensor. That's the high pressure side, so don't do anything that that one. (The connecters won't fit anyway)I wasn't sure how to get at the low pressure side, but as per Dave, through the fog light sounds like it will work.It's a quick connect, so you won't 'spill' anything, though you may want to protect your paint in case there is a dribble. Not sure which kit you got, but the instructions on the kits are usually fairly good. Basically connect the quick connect, screw the can on. Closing the valve will puncture the can. Start your engine and turn your A/C on to two blobs. Turn the can upside down and open the valve a bit. Note it should fill slowly. Patience is a key here. The can will get lighter as the system fills. Your air out of the vents, and the hose, will get cold as it fills. It's probably better to under fill than over fill.One super important thing. If your system is not empty, you run the risk of overfilling it. The compressor can only handle gas, not liquid, so if you overfill it you might destroy your compressor (or seals from over pressure). If your A/C works at all, even a little bit, I think you'd need to get some one to do it, or at least get a gauge to make sure you aren't over doing it. Someone correct me if I've said anything wrong.Later! Dang

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I think that's why Dave was suggesting the smaller bottle (the overfill thing). Mine doesn't work at ALL (it actually seems to blow warmer when I turn on the A/C, haha). But huge thanks for the heads up on that.I just spoke with Stan (Mississauga/Etobicoke) on the phone - real nice guy - he suggested I check Wal-Mart first to save me a trip to Toronto, but failing that (if they don't have it) I'm going to go see him on Friday night to go pick up 2 x 6oz cans! w00t!So I just use the one can, right? He said that our systems were "one pound" systems. I am so excited!!!!!!! :D-Iain

Checked in Kelowna Walmart today. Yep, they have it. 20-30% more expensive than buying from the DC rep though.The issue I'm now concentrating on is evacuating the system properly before installing the Duracool. Looking for a used vacuum pump or maybe a rental...?Later...Bil :sun:

I.

am going.

to cry.

I have a/c. That works.

Just as Dave said, it seriously takes 5 minutes. That's it. I am in shock, I am overjoyed, I am elated, I AM SO HAPPY!

Picked up two cans + application hose at Wal Mart. I am now trying to decide if I add the second canister or not. It sucked the one back in seriously like 3 seconds. Which, I expected, because I kind of think there was absolutely zero fluid in my system. I stuck a thermometer for 2 minutes in the passenger side vent (yanked it out) and it read 13 C on recirc and high. Is that good? The results were instantaneous though. I opened the valve... it made a gurgling noise, and the canister was instantly light... and I turned the valve off, and went in the car, and it was blowing cold air.

It's pure magic.

-Iain

Duck... please tell me you made a howto. Or I'll be coming to see you early next week to add this to the list of mods.

Nono, I was shaking so bad from excitement I couldn't hold the camera....That and seriously it is so easy to do it doesn't need a How-To: :)-Iain

Iain, that is excellent. I'm glad it worked. 13 degrees right away is perfect. It will get colder as you drive. This Duracool is the stuff your mechanic doesn't want you to know about! Don't use the second can though unless you have the correct gauge and know what you're doing or you will never have A/C again. One can is equal to one pound of the old refrigerant. Again, when you remove the grill, you will see the "high side fitting" to your right. This is not the one you want! That fitting is larger and the hose won't fit so, you can't make a mistake. You won't see the correct, smaller "low side" fitting until you remove the passenger side foglight. The last post that Dang wrote BTW, should be considered an instruction book for the right way to charge the system. Just like you Iain, I filled mine way too fast by accident but it turned out to be OK.

I suggest you guys get a gauge and check your system pressure. Don't want to cause any damage with over-charged or under-charged systems.High-pressure automotive a/c is not quite as simple as this exchange is making it sound. Just a wise precaution.Bil :sun: YMMV of course.

Funny you should mention that.....

After filling with the single can of Duracool (which takes 5 minutes, just like everybody else says...), I connected a gauge which I had bought because I was curious.

Here's the result:

Posted Image

There is no exact science on what the pressure on the low side should be, but 30 is generally considered a good number, and the "blue" area of the gauge is where it should be. It does seem to be pretty much on the money. It's cool here in Calgary tonight, but for sure my A/C is now blowing colder than any day since I drove it away from the dealer.

Again worth mentioning this works if your system is not working, but if your A/C is weak, but still working even a little bit, a "can" is probably going to over fill it. As always, working on A/C systems is not a normal thing to do, so anything you do along these lines is at your own risk.

This all begs the question of what the heck is going on. This is three of us now that have done this, apparently with at least a short term success. If our cars keep their A/C cooling ability for at least a couple of months, it points to a very slow leak somewhere in the system. The hoses are very long in the smart, perhaps that's a factor?

Anything that brings a tear to Duck's eye is a great thing....

Happy cooling!

Dang

Edit:

By the way, I did a reading with the gauge before I put the can in, and the reading was zero.

So does this stuff come with a pre-mix of compressor oil in it, or does that have to be added separately?

Just as a point of caution, filling an A/C unit is very simple however there are a few things to keep in mind. The system if empty has air in it which contains moisture. Evacuating the system, pumping a vacuum, not only removes any traces of the old refrigerent but also "boils" out any moisture. You don't want to mix different types of refrigerents nor do you want any moisture, it freezes in expansion valves and blocks up the system.Be very careful putting in the refrigerent too fast, it is very hard on the compressor and valves, 5 minutes or more is not too slow. The engine should be running at a fast idle when charging and the A/C on max fan speed and max cold.The low pressure fitting is behind the passenger, right side, turn signal and it is different from the high side fitting, left side behind grill. They use a quick disconnect and a schrader valve prevents leakage. Some of the charging hoses have a gauge which shows pressure and a green area when full. The range is 25 - 45 psi. The pressure varies with system equalization, the refrigerent must circulate and balance throughout the system especially during charging and ambiant temperature at the condencer and at the evaporator. It is prudent to run the system for at least 15 minutes after charging to verify that everything is as it should be.You also need the verify the oil level in the system. If only refrigerent has leaked you should be alright but if there is oil residue around leaking fittings then you may need to add some oil.If you catch the system before it is empty, that is when you start to lose cooling capacity but are still getting some cooling, you are much safer adding a little refrigerent than waiting until the system is empty and drawing in moisture.Now this entire discussion is hypothetical because most jurisdictions require all refrigerent be removed and contained by a licensed technician and any leaks be repaired before any refrigerent can be added.Good luck, Dan