Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TFM

Fred J & others banned from mbcanada.com, no reason give

58 posts in this topic

cool, I know where Stephenville is too, I took my glider pilots course there. And stayed with a family there as well.

If you know where Brown cres. is in Gander, that is where I lived when I was there. I miss that place and all the friends I had there but don' t miss the snow.

I know where Brown Cres is. As for the snow, maybe this will bring back memories :)

Posted Image

Thanks man,,,, I was just telling someone about the big ugly snow man that can be as tall as me and still cover the whole dam creations and they didnt believe me so now I have a pic to proove it. ha ha

Hi everybody,

I am from the ex french part of MBCanada (mini-moi) and I think what they made there is disgusting for Fred J and the others. I thought I'll be the next because we're also starting a smart club in Qu?bec.

Hey mini-moi :)

Welcome back. Long time not hearing from you in English.

I used to check your posts at the French site, but as I am woefully mono-lingual, I could only say a "bonjour ca va"? silently.

I used to check your posts at the French site' date=' but as I am woefully mono-lingual' date=' I could only say a "bonjour ca va"? silently.[/quote'']

It`s a good start! :wink:

Welcome to clubsmartcar!

TFM and Xandria are hosting the forum and website here!

Well, we are hosting the site that's true. But it's my fond hope that we will shortly create a "steering committee" and they, as a collective body, will decide the direction that our new community will go.

Clubsmartcar is a site run by smarties for smarties. :lol:

[sigh] I will put this to rest, but it has to be documented, since even discussing why you disagree about the changes are verboten there (which rule is that again?):

I posted the following on mbcanada.com last night as my farewell avatar to let others know that I'm gone. As of this morning it has been removed, along with my one-liner (the one that shows directly under the avatar) of "EMAIL" by Cooper:

Posted Image

Description: My stylized fortwo avatar with text overlay reading, "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Reason:

Spinner your avatar and member title have been removed.

Dramatics of so long please email me are not allowed.

Thank you for your contributions to date, I hope you decide to stay.

EDIT:

Why am I opposed to the changes? It was a combination of the loose enforcement and interpretation of the board rules (coverups and all), but more importantly the fact that four distinct forums were folded into one without any consideration for the organizing that preceeded it, or respect for the members who put so much effort into building the forums up. Also, it was done without advance warning or even consultation. Forum members of smart: En Francais had their home taken away, the How-To section of topics are impossible to re-establish because subject titles aren't consistent. And, to add insult to injury, they wish to pretend like nothing ever happened.

Sorry, I do have a spine, that's why I won't tolerate that nonsense anymore.

Wow, Spinner, that so sucks. Not to mention all the posts and hard work of other members that keeps going missing. As far as I'm concerned, the OWNERS of a forum DO NOT OWN the material posted to a forum. Yes, they have an obligation to keep the board free from beligerant behaviour etc., but any posts of worth are the copyright of the poster. My opinion anyway.

I like your farwell icon, btw. Now you need "the smart car club at the end of the universe" LOL

Glad you have a spine. Helps keep you upright ;-)

Seriously though... it's very sad. We will move forward, but so much of that didn't have to happen.

Why am I opposed to the changes? It was a combination of the loose enforcement and interpretation of the board rules (coverups and all), but more importantly the fact that four distinct forums were folded into one without any consideration for the organizing that preceeded it, or respect for the members who put so much effort into building the forums up. Also, it was done without advance warning or even consultation. Forum members of smart: En Francais had their home taken away, the How-To section of topics are impossible to re-establish because subject titles aren't consistent. And, to add insult to injury, they wish to pretend like nothing ever happened.

Sorry, I do have a spine, that's why I won't tolerate that nonsense anymore.

This is exactly what I feel as well. There were no notices about changes and poof everything became a mess. If they don't like something they just delete it all when it doesn't break any of their "rules". What kind of forum does that? Posts are just deleted without any reason given. All the other forums I've been to, when moderators delete posts, they give a reason (ie you're in violation of this rule, or don't discuss this here). BAH!

Ready for some introspective thinking?

I really wish we and MBCanada (might as well say it) could have parted on happier terms! I believe it would have been possible for both ideas to work in tandam - and they will - to some degree - one day. As it is, rather than parting on good terms to specialize in what we each do best - we parted on a sour note. Why?

After the fact, it SEEMS (to me) that the powers-that-be weren't happy with the state of affairs (the format of the smart forum, the hopes, dreams and possibly unquenchable enthusiasm of the smart members :oops: ) and actually WANTED us to leave. Looking back it seems that given the opportunity, we were pushed out, violently. Is that pure speculation or an emotional response? I'd like to think so, but unfortunately, I don't believe it was an accident.

I don't feel any ill will for them, but the wall that has been put up is regrettable. It is possible to disagree without hard feelings or shutting down communication, it really is. It is possible to part ways and still be friends.

We can learn a lesson here. It is good to have a clear mandate for a forum; make it specific and communicate it well. If we have done this, then when the day comes, and I beleive it will, that someone wants to push something that is not within our mandate, (I don't know; turning smart cars into helicopters and merging us with a helicoper forum??) we will be able to address those requests kindly and with understanding. It doesn't have to be a power struggle.

I'm saying lets do our homework, so that we don't repeat past mistakes.

Just something to think about. (We don't have a soap box emoticon!! and Is it possible to get a spell checker??)

OK, how's this: Blah, blah, blah! Where's my car??!! :wink:

Just something to think about. (We don't have a soap box emoticon!! and Is it possible to get a spell checker??)

Spell checker has been added to our list of "things to do". Thank you for the suggestion.

Well... with regards to being clear on the rules, we aren't off to a very good start :)

This entire thread is in violation of this forum's Rule #3

(see rules: http://www.clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=7)

I realise that the other night, and was actually contemplating the suggestion of pulling this thread. On the other hand, people who are confused might need to know why certain things have happened. Perhaps we should leave this thread up for a couple more days and then pull it?

I have to disagree with 2 points.

1. I don't consider it to be 'political' to simple explain what and why things happened. Members deserve the right to know what happened. Comments have been such as to avoid pointing fingers. but merely clearing the air and explaining what happened.

2. It would be falling into the trap of doing exactly what we were against. i.e. Deleting posts. Starting from square one is not an easy thing to do, but maintaining credibilty and principles is critical.

3. It is a subjective call and I will support whatever direction is taken.

I don't feel that we have been overly slanderous, simply just as you say, pointing out our side of the story, and trying to clear the air. I know that we were well-intentioned, so I have no guilt over that. *shrug* we'll see what happens

Hmm... actually, it was an attempt at being funny ;P Guess I missed the mark.

I don't think it should be removed. If anything, perhaps the rule should be re-worded a bit (its a little confusing anyway, to people that don't really know what went on)

But either way, its not a big deal.

- Steve

Ahh, I'm tired too so other than bonk over the head humour, I'm a write off. Driving non stop can be soooo exhausting. :fiddle:

Originally the rules were just supposed to be for a forum for a small group to discuss the WEB SITE, not the forum, so I haven't had a change to really think about updated rules. I tried this morning during brain fog, but alas...

Hey, if you have the time and inclination, I'd love your input. I'd prefer few yet simple rules. Please, I'd love your input. PM me if you like.

Thanks.

Actually, my suggestion would be that we dont' lose focus of that goal. I realize that now the forum will be part of the project, but much of the appeal for me was the non-forum components discussed.

Unfortunately, I can't volunteer at this time... but might it be better to have some moderators (Mike? Fred?) take over the forum and you guys get back to what you were going to do? Just a thought.

Actually, my suggestion would be that we dont' lose focus of that goal. I realize that now the forum will be part of the project, but much of the appeal for me was the non-forum components discussed.

Unfortunately, I can't volunteer at this time... but might it be better to have some moderators (Mike? Fred?) take over the forum and you guys get back to what you were going to do? Just a thought.

Cat's out of the bag! LOL shhh, don't scare them yet. Dean and I were going to hit them up this weekend! But yes, exactly. The web site was to be our main focus. We just want to get the forum as usable as possible before handing the keys over, as it were.

Thanks and cheers! And we must meet some time again!

I have to disagree with 2 points.

1. I don't consider it to be 'political' to simple explain what and why things happened. Members deserve the right to know what happened. Comments have been such as to avoid pointing fingers. but merely clearing the air and explaining what happened.

2. It would be falling into the trap of doing exactly what we were against. i.e. Deleting posts. Starting from square one is not an easy thing to do, but maintaining credibilty and principles is critical.

3. It is a subjective call and I will support whatever direction is taken.

Considering the situation, I am fully agree with Fred, we need to have an outlet for venting as long as we do not forget the main objective of this group, Agreement, Concensus and harmonize are the key factor to our success. Otherwise, we are no better. Having said that we need to keep the posting as positive as possible. So Spinner you had your venting done, now you owe us a whole lot of positive posting :crackmeup::watchout:

So Spinner you had your venting done, now you owe us a whole lot of positive posting :crackmeup::watchout:

Fair enough. I'm done with my bellyaching.

I've been a post whore of late. Surely there's something good amongst those. :beer:

Ok and I think it is time to stop rehashing what happened at MB and start a "new life" thing on here. This is a whole new start for all on here.

Great job Sally

For the rest.....

It deeply disappointed me to see conversations like this (AND OTHERS) on your board, not only because of the mis-information, but also because of the members who should know better than to make such fact-less statements.

Having read only a bit of this board I have come to the conclusion that it contains baseless accusations and innuendos, which should not be a part of any proper discussion board. I came over to check out and see if you guys were a real club and if we should allow a link exchange from our site. Instead I find this type of crazy talk which can in no way contribute to a symbiotic relationship.

It saddens me to inform you that at this time we cannot refer anyone from our board to yours because this forum needs to concentrate more on cars and less on accusation not based in facts. We will continue to allow links to all legitimate smart sites on our forum but you can understand that this forum cannot be part of our approved list of links.

Maybe one day if your club matures I can re-address this but for now I ask all the x-members of MBCanada.com who believe in this type of crazy talk to please stay off our board and keep the talk here.

Anyone can open free dialogue via email to talk to me, but comments like this deeply saddens me.

Sincerely

Alex

PS. Oh yes all your emoticons look nice and familiar, copied from the "other site" I see.

PS. Oh yes all your emoticons look nice and familiar, copied from the "other site" I see.

Couldn't resist lowering yourself Alex? ;)

It's called open source software. Surely you know the meaning of that?

I came over to check out and see if you guys were a real club and if we should allow a link exchange from our site. Instead I find this type of crazy talk which can in no way contribute to a symbiotic relationship.

It saddens me to inform you that at this time we cannot refer anyone from our board to yours because this forum needs to concentrate more on cars and less on accusation not based in facts. We will continue to allow links to all legitimate smart sites on our forum but you can understand that this forum cannot be part of our approved list of links.

I can't believe you're seriously considering a link-exchange within one week of exhibiting hostility towards even the mentioning of this forum on yours. This forum, which was originally an inocuous organizing tool for localized meets, exploded in growth in direct relation to the hardball/squeeze activities on your forum. It's as simple as that. The difference here is that we're actually having this discussion.

I agree that trash-talk should stop (with or without the naming of names), but don't for once think you can take that holier-than-thou stand.

EDITS: Various