Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dang

Dang's DRL Mod....

18 posts in this topic

Gang.....

Finally got around to doing a write up on the mod I did for the daytime running lights. This will use your city lights normally, and will switch to the headlights only if you turn on the switch.

As always, use at your own risk.

Dang's DRL mod...

A pic of the city lights.

Posted Image

Good Luck!

Dang

This seems like a lot of work to avoid flicking the headlight switch to position "1".I just have my DRL disabled, and i manually turn my lights on to the "city lights" position whenever i start the car.

The part I don't like about turning the stalk to position 1 is that it dims the computer display, which drives me nuts in the day time (since the MDC display is already dimmer than the stock one to begin with).-Iain

I like the idea of trhe city lights cutting out when the headlights go on...VERY handy if you run LEDs in there!Eddie

Awesome DANG: Thats exactly what i've been wanting to do to my smart. I haven't read your 12 pages yet but i did print them off. If i find i am to thick to do this myself how much do you charge? :tremble:

Darren...It's a point, but I (like Duck) didn't like the dash lights coming on. I have the MDC computer as well. As well, with the DRL's disabled, all the lights are out. With this mod you leave the DRL's enabled, so the side and rear marker lights are still on. I did run for a while with the DRL's disabled, but really don't mind the concept of DRL's. |Eddie|Eddie|Eddie|Yeah, I did the same thing as you and put LED's in for the city lights. (actually used the ones you recommended.) Those "super white" LED's work quite well as city lights.Note the same logic could do a bunch of things. You could run your fog lights as DRL's, your turn signals, through a resistor pack to dim your headlights or your high beams at 25% power, etc. Actually, I'll now have Xenon's sitting in my garage, and will probably be changing how it works again. I haven't decided yet, but might even use my fog lights as combo DRL's and turn signals. We'll see.Later! Dang

|Eddie|Eddie|Eddie|Yeah, I did the same thing as you and put LED's in for the city lights. (actually used the ones you recommended.) Those "super white" LED's work quite well as city lights.Do you know what the number of these super white led's are and where i can get them???

Eddie: Wouldn't the heat in the headlight cluster gradually destroy the LEDs whether they're lit or not?

Yes, heat is the biggest killer of LEDs...Also, watch your city lights get dimmer when the headlights are on, and MUCH dimmer when the high beams are in use...To overcome heat... I am gonna try those 4-star ones off Autolumination.com and see how that works out.But it will be a while before I order more LEDs, as I order them in HUGE quantities... ;)Eddie

To overcome heat... I am gonna try those 4-star ones off Autolumination.com and see how that works out.

I don't really see how a big aluminum base on the LEDs is going to mitigate the heat coming from the honkin' huge halogen bulbs only inches away from the diodes. It might help dissipate heat generated by the LEDs themselves, but i don't think it'll do squat in protecting them from the heat all around them.I think you're throwing away your money using LEDs in the headlight clusters.

Hmmmmm.....I've yet to kill an LED, though must admit I don't use my high beams a massive amount. Perhaps the fact my city lights are off when the lights are on helps?????Later! Dang

This is a very good mod, well done.I've been thinking about using the high beams only on a reduced wattage for the DRLs - like many vehicles operate currently. Leave all the other car bulbs off, city, low, side, tail - just the high beams on low wattage.

This is a very good mod, well done.I've been thinking about using the high beams only on a reduced wattage for the DRLs - like many vehicles operate currently. Leave all the other car bulbs off, city, low, side, tail - just the high beams on low wattage.

Steven www.smartieparts.com sells a DRL module that might do that... ?Bil :sun:

I remember looking at that on the MDC site - I'm pretty sure it does it with the low beams. I'm not sure if it leaves all the other lights off...

Hi folks,

Has anyone got a copy of Dan's DRL mod by chance? I started doing his mod last summer/fall (installed diodes, ran wiring through firewall, mounted relays) but did not finish the job. I was going to complete it this weekend, but found that Dan's Smart Car site is no more. Dangit.

Appreciate if anyone can help me out.

Rete

Edited by rete

Hi folks,Has anyone got a copy of Dan's DRL mod by chance? I started doing his mod last summer/fall (installed diodes, ran wiring through firewall, mounted relays) but did not finish the job. I was going to complete it this weekend, but found that Dan's Smart Car site is no more. Dangit.Appreciate if anyone can help me out.Rete

Hi Guys.....I shut down the web site this was on, but I still have all the info, so feel free to PM me if you need anything. Cheers!Dan the former smart owner.....

I've run with LED's in the City Light spots for a long time with no problem. One thing I did was to retract the LED, into the housing, to the point that it is shielded from the direct heat of the Halogen bulb. It still gives off light dead ahead. I disabled the DLR's years ago and turn on the "parking lights" after I start the car. I've also added some LED DLR's lower on the front. They shut off when the headlights turn on.

Edited by leejor